Sports Illustrated Article - The Fall of St. John's by Seth Davis

• 25 replies
Re: Sports Illustrated Article - The Fall of St. John's by Seth Davis
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 01:55:37 AM »
Obviously, this article was written before the Loyola game.

This article has actually been in the works for a few months
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »
Very, very well written article.  I know Seth well and he and I go back and forth on the state of the program all the time.  He really did his homework here and did a great job looking at the big picture and he certainly did his homework.
If he did his homework, How come he didn't know Roberts was a head coach before. Granted I'm sure Norm hopes we forget about it since he proved he stinks in 2 places but I'd hope a journalist would find that out

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 02:08:18 PM »
Very, very well written article.  I know Seth well and he and I go back and forth on the state of the program all the time.  He really did his homework here and did a great job looking at the big picture and he certainly did his homework.
If he did his homework, How come he didn't know Roberts was a head coach before. Granted I'm sure Norm hopes we forget about it since he proved he stinks in 2 places but I'd hope a journalist would find that out
Hemingway,

Be grateful that Seth Davis and SI were still willing to use his time on a three page piece on St. John's, which has been an afterthought for the better part of the decade.

If they were looking for hits, they could've had him write about a program with a substantial fan base or one with an intriguing head coach or star player. With 140k alumni in the area, the STJ alumni can't fill up a dinky 6k arena. This eulogy won't generate more than 1-2k hits.

As for the "no head coaching experience" line, perhaps it was implied by Davis and his editor that we are talking about coaching at the Division I level, not CYO or Div III level.

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 09:02:49 PM »
Hemingway,

Be grateful that Seth Davis and SI were still willing to use his time on a three page piece on St. John's, which has been an afterthought for the better part of the decade.

If they were looking for hits, they could've had him write about a program with a substantial fan base or one with an intriguing head coach or star player. With 140k alumni in the area, the STJ alumni can't fill up a dinky 6k arena. This eulogy won't generate more than 1-2k hits.

As for the "no head coaching experience" line, perhaps it was implied by Davis and his editor that we are talking about coaching at the Division I level, not CYO or Div III level.
He was a coach in college period. He failed there like here. Not really much to argue. Not sure who the hemingway line was a shot at but if intended for me, I'd say he made a point that was clearly incorrect. As for the fan base, we all have literally thousands of things to do in this area, why would we continue to support a sunken ship? I've loved this program for years. If the president of the university doesn't care why should I?I'm happy that the story was written as it might bring some light to our failures. Unfortunately, not nearly enough

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 11:29:42 PM »
Hemingway,

He was a coach in college period. He failed there like here. Not really much to argue. Not sure who the hemingway line was a shot at but if intended for me, I'd say he made a point that was clearly incorrect. As for the fan base, we all have literally thousands of things to do in this area, why would we continue to support a sunken ship? I've loved this program for years. If the president of the university doesn't care why should I?I'm happy that the story was written as it might bring some light to our failures. Unfortunately, not nearly enough

I'm going to have to disagree with you agree with sleeveless. Also its a pretty minor thing to get caught up on.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 11:52:06 PM »
Hemingway,

I'm going to have to disagree with you agree with sleeveless. Also its a pretty minor thing to get caught up on.
Not a problem. We can agree to disagree. I don't think it's an insignificant mistake. just my opinion