STJ vs. Mid-Major Recruiting

• 29 replies

kob24

Re: STJ vs. Mid-Major Recruiting
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 01:21:09 AM »
Did u know kemba wasn't ranked until the summer of his junior year. When he was in rice Edgar and two kids one named zameion price and Dre Calloway was ranked much higher than him and looked how kemba turned out. He wasn't even supposed to play.  The rankings aren't always on point. Liked I said  if u go to the top two sites for NYC basket ball Omari was number two behind lance and if he would have stayed at st.rays he would have had a chance to take his spot plus the fact of him being hurt messed up his chances. Now I don't think he is a program changer but I don't think lance is one either.  I don't think lance can come in here by himself and change things. I think they need each other. I don't think john wall would change things by himself. But to put all your eggs in one basket and base them on rankings is tuff. What if Omari finishes out back at a four star recruit top fifty player he was. what would u say about him then? For where some of these guys want this school to go they are gonna need a top 12 class every year for at least 3 years

LJSA

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 02:28:14 AM »
KOB:
Do you know if Calloway ended up somewhere? I know he finished up high school in Denver and won a state championship, but I don't know if he's in college. I'm not sure how good he is outside of watching the Colorado state championship on TV, but when Norm was having trouble getting anyone to sign last year Calloway was a guy I thought of.

Randomhero423

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 08:25:28 AM »
Did u know kemba wasn't ranked until the summer of his junior year. When he was in rice Edgar and two kids one named zameion price and Dre Calloway was ranked much higher than him and looked how kemba turned out. He wasn't even supposed to play.  The rankings aren't always on point. Liked I said  if u go to the top two sites for NYC basket ball Omari was number two behind lance and if he would have stayed at st.rays he would have had a chance to take his spot plus the fact of him being hurt messed up his chances. Now I don't think he is a program changer but I don't think lance is one either.  I don't think lance can come in here by himself and change things. I think they need each other. I don't think john wall would change things by himself. But to put all your eggs in one basket and base them on rankings is tuff. What if Omari finishes out back at a four star recruit top fifty player he was. what would u say about him then? For where some of these guys want this school to go they are gonna need a top 12 class every year for at least 3 years

i know that.  hell he didn't even start on the freshman team (i don't know if he started on the jv).  but that's a quality i like.  it shows he has a tremendous work ethic, wasn't babied around in HS, and has the bball IQ to improve. 

and i've seen omari vs. lance.  omari played great versus him.  but i do think lance was probably tired because he played two games in a row before that. 

this is what i think.  if lance goes to STJ, we make the NIT.

if our recruiting class stays the same, we are on the outside looking in on the NIT.

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »

i know that.  hell he didn't even start on the freshman team (i don't know if he started on the jv).  but that's a quality i like.  it shows he has a tremendous work ethic, wasn't babied around in HS, and has the bball IQ to improve. 

Yea but if one of our guys didn't start JV he'd be terrible. This guy doesn't do it and it shows he has great character and work ethic?!?! I'm not arguing against your point but there is definitely a double standard that many people practice(more a generalized statement than solely directed at you)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 12:14:52 PM »

Yea but if one of our guys didn't start JV he'd be terrible. This guy doesn't do it and it shows he has great character and work ethic?!?! I'm not arguing against your point but there is definitely a double standard that many people practice(more a generalized statement than solely directed at you)

no.  if even eugene lawrence, someone i'm not a big fan of, didn't start in JV but started on varsity.  i'd be very impressed, it'd show he was determined enough to improve.

how many high d1 prospects didn't start on jv?

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »
Probably many because if they were that good they went right to varsity.

Randomhero423

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 12:32:40 PM »
let me rephrase that...

How many players who weren't good enough to go on varsity as a fresh/soph, and didn't start on their own jv team, play on a high major team?

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »
let me rephrase that...

How many players who weren't good enough to go on varsity as a fresh/soph, and didn't start on their own jv team, play on a high major team?

I'm guessing all the low high low major recruits out there :). Seriously though I don't know nor do I care. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make either. You are more than welcome to look this up though.

Randomhero423

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 02:18:58 PM »
it proves kemba walker is a special kid and a special talent.  it's so rare to see someone with that great of a work ethic to improve now a days.  esp. coming from a 5 star recruit.  (most top 25 guys have been heralded has the G.O.A.T. by the 8th grade)

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »
it proves kemba walker is a special kid and a special talent.  it's so rare to see someone with that great of a work ethic to improve now a days.  esp. coming from a 5 star recruit.  (most top 25 guys have been heralded has the G.O.A.T. by the 8th grade)

Or maybe it proves that he hit puberty late