When Norm Was Hired

• 37 replies

TONYD3

When Norm Was Hired
« on: December 14, 2008, 12:02:50 PM »
When Norm was hired how did everyone feel? I know he is not popular now but did he have any fans then? I wanted Bobby Gonzalez. I know he is not the greatest person but I have to think we would have been more succesful with him. Even if we went on probation would our team look that much different then it does now.

Re: When Norm Was Hired
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 11:04:31 PM »
I almost feel like this is a trick thread, but what the hell, I’m game.

I had met him several times and I think he is a real good people person and a stand up man. He’s got excellent communication skills and he really seemed interested in turning this program around.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 11:10:23 PM »
I'm with redstormhoopsfan this might be a trick thread lol. Most people wanted a big name and we got a no name. I think we all hoped for the best and we are where we are. You can only beat this topic to death so many times though.

To sorta change subjects I watched Seton Hall's show on SNY today. Bobby G really has a strong resemblance to the Muppet's Gonzo. They mostly focused on how Hazell worked hard in the offseason to become a much more complete player. From his highlights he was rather impressive and he might be better than I originally credited but I still think Seton Hall is not as good as they are currently playing. I think they will level off and eventually drop off.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 11:11:57 PM »
Word was out there that Norm was a great recruiter so I was excited. That's what turns programs around. This has taken longer then I expected but I have a good feeling about this years team. I want to see these guys compete vs better competion in the BE. Lets see how we fair. I liked Norm when he came in and I still think he is a good guy but.........the results have not been good.

Randomhero423

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:17:02 PM »
i supported norm early on and told people to be patient.  i was a "normie".  but after his continuous failures, the "p" word is forbidden from my vocabulary. 

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:28:30 PM »
i supported norm early on and told people to be patient.  i was a "normie".  but after his continuous failures, the "p" word is forbidden from my vocabulary. 

From what I have read of your posts, quote a few words are forbidden (missing) from your vocabulary! Mostly ones with more than five letters!
Isn't it time for you to be studying for your finals???

PS Does he (RW) really pay you to write for that other site?

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:36:48 PM »
thought I posted this already but I didn't seem to work

I had no feelings one way or another about Norm when he was hired. But based on how destroyed I thought the program was and what it would take to rebuild (no 'quick-fix'), I think he's done a fine job. I see real progress in all ways, not just on the court. Do I wish it were happening faster? Of course. Did I think it likely that it would? No. But I think the program is without question on the right track. And along the way, I'm enjoying this team more than I have in a long time... since well before Norm.

Randomhero423

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 11:38:16 PM »

From what I have read of your posts, quote a few words are forbidden (missing) from your vocabulary! Mostly ones with more than five letters!

yup

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 12:04:27 AM »

yup
Good job keeping it less than five letters!

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 12:20:22 AM »

Seriously, you were 12 YEARS OLD when Norm Roberts was hired, so for you to say you supported him ”early on” is just plain silly. The last time you said that kind of thing on the ‘other board’ you caused (or at least contributed to) a moderator not only to get banned, but he subsequently disappeared from the face of the basketball world.

Grow up!

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 12:22:27 AM »
sooooo how was everyone's weekend  ::)

Randomhero423

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 12:42:08 AM »

Seriously, you were 12 YEARS OLD when Norm Roberts was hired, so for you to say you supported him ”early on” is just plain silly. The last time you said that kind of thing on the ‘other board’ you caused (or at least contributed to) a moderator not only to get banned, but he subsequently disappeared from the face of the basketball world.

Grow up!

i joined the boards during the 06/07 season thinking Norm could help us out.  At the time, I was 14 years old (does that even matter?). 

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 12:43:40 AM »

Grow up!

i joined the boards during the 06/07 season thinking Norm could help us out.  At the time, I was 14 years old (does that even matter?). 

The Age of Innocence vs The Age of Reason

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 12:44:57 AM »

Grow up!

What in the world are you talking about?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 01:06:09 AM »
What in the world are you talking about?

Which part of this post did you find most confusing? I tried not to use any words over 12 letters, which is 2.5 times more than RandomHero’s vocabulary.

Aren’t you supposedly another aspiring journalist?
GOD save this Country!

Randomhero423

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 01:11:56 AM »
 ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 01:38:11 AM »
time for bed everyone

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 02:40:18 PM »
I was happy when Norm was hired.  I obviously wanted a Calipari or even Gonzo, but I was excited with the hire, because of Norm's rep as a recruiter. 

I became very worried when Norm's career record at QC was released,though, but I still gave him the benefit of the doubt.  Year two I felt very different.

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »
I wanted a bigger name, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I enjoyed rooting for the overmatched team his first year, but it soon became painfully obvious that he was in over his head as our games took on a bad high school quality.

Tha Kid

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 02:54:59 PM »
I thought it seemed like a good move at the time...not only were we getting Bill Self's best recruiter, but along with him was coming Fred Q who recruited all the studs at UNC for their last title run back when UNC had a record as bad as ours!  The recruits didn't come and I don't think ANYONE could have imagined how bad a coach he would be.
"I drink and I know things"