When Norm Was Hired

• 37 replies
Re: When Norm Was Hired
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 02:57:47 PM »
i thought the GTOWN loss last year was the defining end to norm's career at sju...

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 03:09:38 PM »
I thought it seemed like a good move at the time...not only were we getting Bill Self's best recruiter, but along with him was coming Fred Q who recruited all the studs at UNC for their last title run back when UNC had a record as bad as ours!  The recruits didn't come and I don't think ANYONE could have imagined how bad a coach he would be.

And don't forget how much better Bill Self and Kansas have been without him.

pmg911

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 03:15:30 PM »
I wanted Matt Doherty at the time and was very excited when it looked like he was getting the job.

I was not overly excited with Norm Roberts but was hopefully he could be the recruiter we were told he was...   he obviously was not...

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 03:50:12 PM »
i posted that the administration was taking a huge chance on someone with no division i coaching experience.

it was a chance that shouldn't have been taken given the state of our program at the time.

the result is five years of irrelevant basketball...five years and counting.

TONYD3

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 09:20:29 PM »
This was not a trick thread. Just wondering because I did not follow any of message boards when Norm was hired. I also think he is a good guy, but  I was looking for a reason on why he was hired over Calipari, Gonzo, or any one else for that matter. Is being a good guy really that important to getting and keeping division 1 coaching job? I remember him being the safe choice. I hope he has a winning season and I understand it is a long shot. If he doesn't will our talent pool of coaches be less attractive? Are any big names still interested in the job?

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 11:31:58 PM »
This was not a trick thread.... will our talent pool of coaches be less attractive? Are any big names still interested in the job?

The real question that we need to ask is do we think that this administration will handle it’s next coaching search any differently than before?
Regardless of when it occurs; today, tomorrow, or at the end of the Five Year extension awarded last season.
That’s really all that matters.

Eventually Norm Roberts will leave SJU…
What will REALLY happen then?

Do you think this school will organize a search committee to reach out to some of the top coaches in the country?

I hope and pray the answer is yes, but I doubt it happening in my lifetime.

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 08:19:04 AM »
It's obvious that "character" was very important to the administration during the last search---for obvious reasons.  I think they felt that Cal, Gonzo and Doh didn't satisfy that requirement so they went with Norm.  Based on that standard, i think the hire was a home run!

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 10:12:28 AM »
It's obvious that "character" was very important to the administration during the last search---for obvious reasons.  I think they felt that Cal, Gonzo and Doh didn't satisfy that requirement so they went with Norm.  Based on that standard, i think the hire was a home run!

Based on wins and losses, recruiting, game coaching and boring style I would say the batter was hit in the head with a pitch, died, buried, dug up then left out in the sun for 5 years!

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 12:08:06 PM »

I hope you are being sarcastic.  The search was only a homerun for every other team in the Big East. 

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 01:07:14 PM »

I hope you are being sarcastic.  The search was only a homerun for every other team in the Big East. 
Grandslam

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 02:00:15 PM »
character?  it was a business decision.  the administration took a flyer on someone they didn't have to break the bank for.

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 05:50:31 PM »

Based on wins and losses, recruiting, game coaching and boring style I would say the batter was hit in the head with a pitch, died, buried, dug up then left out in the sun for 5 years!

That's actually a funny reply.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 07:39:20 PM »

And WASJU is actually Norm's nephew.  Poor Norm can only count on the guy that doesn't wear sleaves now!

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »

And WASJU is actually Norm's nephew.  Poor Norm can only count on the guy that doesn't wear sleaves now!

Do not insult my uncles like that! Both of them are much better coaches than Slappy! One works for Con Ed and the other for an airline. 

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 08:26:26 PM »

why do you think the students are all pro norm?  because we dont chant "fire norm" at every game?

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 08:47:17 PM »

why do you think the students are all pro norm?  because we dont chant "fire norm" at every game?

I don't think "all" of the students are pro Norm.  As you get older you will learn that power words like all or nothing are quite frustrating to counter with. 

If you want the plain, honest truth out of me...cheering for this team is only sending the message that everything is ok and fans will tolerate the garbage that Father Harrington is giving us with Norman the Nightmare. 

If you wanted to make a difference for this program and possibly attend an NCAA tournament in your time as student--I believe you are a junior--the best thing you can do is voice your displeasure with Norm Roberts and the state of basketball.

Now, I certainly expect a bunch of responses along the lines of "you call yourself a fan.  how could you not cheer for your team" blah blah blah.

I am of the opinion that you can be a big fan of a team eve if you call for the firing of a coach, hope for the team to loses games for one season to enhance the opportunity a coach will be dismissed, or cancel your tix/donations/don't attend games to send a message.  That opinion will never change.

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 03:23:21 AM »
The thing is, we only have 4 years here.

I'm not sitting out of every basketball game just to prove a point that the administration doesn't seem willing to accept.

And I will always cheer for the kids. These kids are my age and chose to come here because they bought into the system and thought they could turn this program around. I'm not going to punish them by having them play in a COMPLETELY empty arena (even if with us there it's only a 1/4 full one).

It's one thing to urge the alumni and donors to pull out but to expect us kids to miss out on the one chance we get to see live college basketball for relatively cheap is just a little ridiculous.

Holding back our $99 a year (after we've already paid $14,000 annually) will really punish them. Right.

Next thing you'll be telling us to drop out as to not support the athletic department.

Give me a break.

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 07:47:20 AM »
Excellent post, Mikethegreat.