Dele
Horne

08/09

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/stats?teamId=2599

Quincy
Dele
Rob Thomas
Ty Edmondson

Is our bench better or worse than last year?
Is our bench being used/rotated better or worse than last year?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Bench rotation this year vs last year?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:48:23 PM »
The Mase injury really changes everything.  I think if we had a bench of Paris, Dele and Rob Thomas with the occasional freshman pg we'd be stronger but now we have to play quincy more minutes then he probably should get. 

On the same token, outside of wright, our bench was so inexperienced last year and our starters weren't as good as they are this year either. 

I think Norm has actually done a decent job with his rotation.  He hasn't gone crazy with his subs like he has in the past and you can almost pin point when he's going to put em in and when.  5 min mark dele comes in, rob thomas shortly after.  Quincy usually in with rob and gets the minutes between paris/dj on the bench ... then like with 8 mins to go Ty comes in to give malik a lil blow to about the under 4. 

Poison

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 02:12:10 PM »
The Mase injury really changes everything.  I think if we had a bench of Paris, Dele and Rob Thomas with the occasional freshman pg we'd be stronger but now we have to play quincy more minutes then he probably should get. 

On the same token, outside of wright, our bench was so inexperienced last year and our starters weren't as good as they are this year either. 

I think Norm has actually done a decent job with his rotation.  He hasn't gone crazy with his subs like he has in the past and you can almost pin point when he's going to put em in and when.  5 min mark dele comes in, rob thomas shortly after.  Quincy usually in with rob and gets the minutes between paris/dj on the bench ... then like with 8 mins to go Ty comes in to give malik a lil blow to about the under 4. 

I agree. He's getting Quincy Roberts out there more, but he needs to integrate Phil Wait. If Coker is fouling too much against NJIT, what's gonna happen against Va Tech.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 02:54:14 PM »
Bench is clearly worse this year.  Just having a shooter like Wright coming off the bench made the difference and probably won us 2-3 games.   We also had an energy guy like Horne off the bench last year. 

This will be one of the worst benches in school and Big East history.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 03:40:48 PM »
Bench is clearly worse this year.  Just having a shooter like Wright coming off the bench made the difference and probably won us 2-3 games.   We also had an energy guy like Horne off the bench last year. 

Lets not get crazy worst in Big East history lol. I think you can make a case for either way.

Our backup PG situation isn't as good as it was last year.

We will miss a guy like Larry and I think thats the biggest difference between the two.

Also as mentioned above Mase going down really changed everything.

I do like how Norm is using his guys this year though. We're not seeing mega rotations and I'm starting to see patterns of subsitutions and lineup combinations that work. Dele(soph) and Rob Thomas are better than Dele(Frosh) and Evans(Frosh). If you want to get deeper into that I can live with Tomas/Wait getting some spare minutes. I don't think Tomas is a bad guy to have playing 4-5mpg due to foul trouble.

One nice thing so far about this year is Rob Thomas, Quincy Roberts, Dele Coker, and Tomas are all shooting over 50% from the floor. So they are making the most out of their touches. 

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »
I am often gulity of hyperbole, but in this case I think I am (W)right on.  This will be one of the worst benches in school and Big East history.  Mase going down secures this.

Last year we had a terrific backup PG, a pure shooter, an engergy guy in Horne, and a big body in Kennedy.

This year we have no legit backup PG, no shooter, and nothing up front.  Ty, Rob, and Dele are useless agaisnt good teams. 

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 03:54:15 PM »
I am often gulity of hyperbole, but in this case I think I am (W)right on.  This will be one of the worst benches in school and Big East history.  Mase going down secures this.

Last year we had a terrific backup PG, a pure shooter, an engergy guy in Horne, and a big body in Kennedy.

This year we have no legit backup PG, no shooter, and nothing up front.  Ty, Rob, and Dele are useless agaisnt good teams. 

Kennedy started pretty much the entire season last year.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 03:57:21 PM »
I

[/quote

Evans.  I confuse the names of the too so often it is ridiculous and there is just no end in sight. 

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 05:17:42 PM »

Worst in big east History ? C'mon Marillac- It's not even the worst we've had the last 3 years.
Besides Mase going down,  (Fwd & ctr) bench is "weaker" because Evans is properly starting over Tomas.

We've got the same 3 bigs as last year, plus one year more experience, plus Wait.

Backup shooter- quincy although bad last game, shows very good promise.
Through 9 games DJ, Paris & Quincy shooting fine.

And by the way, we're addressing that 100% with Hardy & Omari coming in next year.

Backup pg, you're right. That's because our best PG did not start last year.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:20:52 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Poison

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 05:22:57 PM »
Bench is clearly worse this year.  Just having a shooter like Wright coming off the bench made the difference and probably won us 2-3 games.   We also had an energy guy like Horne off the bench last year. 

What games were those? I remember him almost helping us beat WV. Almost.
Thomas and Roberts are better than anything we brought off the bench last year.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 05:35:17 PM »
1st 3 off bench

Dec 08       Dec 06              Dec 05           Dec 04          Dec 03

Quincy      Wright                Torres           Dex Grey?     Lamont (frosh)
Coker        Tomas Jas         Ryan Williams   C Jackson      A Stanley
Rob T       Calhoun                 Dex Grey     Tyler Jones    Ty Jones 
                Torres                Tomas         Eugene(Frosh)

I could argue that this year's bench is better than all above.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 06:18:48 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 05:53:29 PM »
I want to delve into this more (I can't believe they want WORK out of me, geez), but this is not the worst bench Norm has had.  The bench in 07 had , a limited Daryll Hill, 2 of the following three- Q Calhoun/ Tomas/Aaron Spears, and Larry Wright.  I would argue that some of the playing time could have been better doled out, but that, relatively, is not a bad bench for the past few years at St. John's.  Needed another point guard, and that's no kind of world beating squad, but there were options.

This year... well, I hope Dele shows better against big bodies.  Rob Thomas' nose for the ball was evident in his limited minutes last year.  If he can get 15 minutes in games, and Q Roberts can hit some of those shots, the bench isn't half as bad as last year's replacement of inexperienced player with more inexperience.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 05:57:31 PM »

But I agree that the PG issue is worrisome.  Q looks like he has the stroke to be a shooter.  But the great issue with this team will be the EPIC FAIL-level outside shooting. It's bad, and I hope Paris and Kennedy can keep up their credible shooting. 

And if not, this team needs to generate turnovers and pressure for easy hoops.  And that goes back to the PG issue.  The team's gonna miss Geno's ability to make chaos, play strong, and cause pressure, even if the other guards are quicker.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:01:25 PM »
With the competition factor aside, I think this years bench is one of the more productive benches that we've had in past years. 

I like what i've seen out of Rob and Q.  They bring a hunger and desire that we really need.  They also seem to play fearless.  I think they believe they should be starters and go out and try to prove that with the minutes they get. 

Coker, TJ and Wait (if and when he plays) give us depth at the 5 spot. 

Ty has potential but I don't think we will see him for very long at St.Johns.  We already got 2 guards coming in next year that will be ahead of him on the depth chart.  If we get Lance, it's almost a lock Ty is gone.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »
I just don't think Rob Thomas is a capable Big East or even A-10 player right now (post injury).  Dele is as useless as any big man in the country.  Ty is overmatched at this level, certainly until he builds his strength, but probably after that as well.

Q is the only player that I expect a realistic contribution from, and I don't think he is a legit Big East player either. 

In short, I can't imagine a worse bench.

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »
Really hard to tell about the bench until we face better competition.  I like Rob because he knows how to put the ball in the hoop.  I like Quincy.  He looks to have a pretty good shot and is strong with the ball.  Dele is still learning how to control his big body.  More on the court experience should help him.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »
Really hard to tell about the bench until we face better competition.  I like Rob because he knows how to put the ball in the hoop.  I like Quincy.  He looks to have a pretty good shot and is strong with the ball.  Dele is still learning how to control his big body.  More on the court experience should help him.

People on various boards were also predicting the improvement of Jasilonizxczcis by his senior year. Someone on Redmen actually compared him to Kevin Pitsnoggle. Well it is four years later and Jasilonzxczcxis would have a hard to getting some run on my 35 and older cyo team.
Coker seems to possess NO basketball instincts and playing for a coach that also possesses No basketball instincts does not bode well for Coker's future! I don't envision his last two years to be much different from his first year and a quarter.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:47:32 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
I  know I am the ultimate optimist, but I really think these guys are better. Rob is looking better and more confident every game. Same for Phil and Quincy, who’s gotten enough minutes to gain some confidence. And Q’s got some hops, I was very surprised last game. I think Ty still needs more minutes to gel with the team, but now it going to have to be baptism by fire for him.

I'm praying for Dele, but I think he's also going to get thrown into the fire with Ty.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
I  know I am the ultimate optimist, but I really think these guys are better. Rob is looking better and more confident every game. Same for Phil and Quincy, who’s gotten enough minutes to gain some confidence. And Q’s got some hops, I was very surprised last game. I think Ty still needs more minutes to gel with the team, but now it going to have to be baptism by fire for him.

I'm praying for Dele, but I think he's also going to get thrown into the fire with Ty.

Enabler!

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 05:39:33 PM »
Rob definitely has physical limitations.  His lateral quickness and hops are severely limited due to the injury.  I don't think he will ever get them back but he can contribute in limited minutes.  His stamina is clearly better than last year.

Coker is a much better player this year than last.  I hope to see continued improvement as the season progresses.

I think right now DJ is the most complete player on the team.  I hope he can do it against Big East competition.

Q looks good.  He has size and strength and goes strongly to the basket.  Again, we'll see how he does against stiffer competition.

Paris has shown much improvement over last year.  His handle has improved, his jump shot is better and he plays with more confidence.  Defensively, he is tenacious.

I think there are 6 Big East teams that we are capable of beating--possibly 7.  Maybe we get an upset or two. I'm cautiously optimistic.