Bench rotation this year vs last year?

• 31 replies

kjd01067

Re: Bench rotation this year vs last year?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 06:36:24 PM »
I don't know about the whole last year vs. this year debate but I do know one thing we will miss Larry Wright come Big East time.  I know Paris has shown he can play and I am very excited about that but Wright could single handily put us back in a game with his shooting.  I hope I am wrong and Paris and Quincy can make up the ground but Im a little scared.

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 06:48:20 PM »
I  know I am the ultimate optimist, but I really think these guys are better. Rob is looking better and more confident every game. Same for Phil and Quincy, who’s gotten enough minutes to gain some confidence. And Q’s got some hops, I was very surprised last game. I think Ty still needs more minutes to gel with the team, but now it going to have to be baptism by fire for him.

I'm praying for Dele, but I think he's also going to get thrown into the fire with Ty.

Enabler!

(REDSTORMHOOPS FAN + MARILLAC) / 2 = An average Johnny fan's expectations. 

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 07:33:28 PM »
I  know I am the ultimate optimist, but I really think these guys are better. Rob is looking better and more confident every game. Same for Phil and Quincy, who’s gotten enough minutes to gain some confidence. And Q’s got some hops, I was very surprised last game. I think Ty still needs more minutes to gel with the team, but now it going to have to be baptism by fire for him.

I'm praying for Dele, but I think he's also going to get thrown into the fire with Ty.

Enabler!

LOL that is a good one. 

For the record, for those that don't know me personally, I am very supportive of all STJ athletics.  I am pretty down on the men's basketball team now only because I see so much potential from the program if it was lead by the right person.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 11:11:22 PM »

Enabler!

We certainly do represent the opposite ends of the spectrum in some regards.

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »

Enabler!

LOL that is a good one. 

For the record, for those that don't know me personally, I am very supportive of all STJ athletics.  I am pretty down on the men's basketball team now only because I see so much potential from the program if it was lead by the right person.

I'm glad you got a laugh out of that one. Definitely meant as a joke. I agree that we have the potential to be a very good program. And I agree we could have probably could have progressed alot faster with a different coach (known name coach). However, I am one of the fans who is "positively skeptical" and thinks we have some "potential" in this current roster of guys. Not NCAA tourney worthy this year, but definitely next year.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 04:27:40 PM »
So what do you guys think will happen with the bench rotation now? What would you do?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 01:40:56 AM »
bump thought this would be a great topic to revisit. We've gotten to know our bench a little better especially due to all the injuries. What do you think?

Is Quincy Roberts > Larry Wright?

Is Rob Thomas and Dele Coker(08/09) > Sean Evans(07/08) and Dele Coker(07/08)?

It's hard to argue against this years bench being > last years bench but seemingly I feel we are a better and deeper team this year. Maybe its because I think we're more of a "team" this year than last year? I'm not sure.

Bench had 0 points against PC

Really only Rob Thomas had any points today(even though he's a starter now but I think Quincy Robert's played well even though only scoring 1 bucket).
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
our bench got shut out in the providence game.

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »
Rob T has a nose for the ball and he plays hard. Q Rob is only a freshman and he will get better. He is not in his proper role due to injuiries. Both have been productive for the most part. The key is production when these guys come into the game.

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 01:21:32 PM »
i think we have three quality bigs in burrell evans and thomas who we can rotate in and out and if they stay out of foul trouble we can be pretty productive up front. in the back court paris has become a consistent threat on offense and defense. the problem is the bench depth we only have quincy and when he isnt hitting shots then we really have nowhere else to go, ty has improved slightly. the additions of hardy a shooter and omari a slasher will pay great dividends.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2009, 11:27:23 PM »

1. In some ways yes in some ways no.
2. Debatable.

But I do know that Boothe is better for our offense than Lawerance was! I also know that Kennedy, Horne, Thomas, Evans and Boothe have played better this year than last. Burrell is still up for debate in my eyes... with his inconsistent play.

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 11:41:05 PM »

Roberts is currently running the point, could Larry Wright?

1. In some ways yes in some ways no.
2. Debatable.

But I do know that Boothe is better for our offense than Lawerance was! I also know that Kennedy, Horne, Thomas, Evans and Boothe have played better this year than last. Burrell is still up for debate in my eyes... with his inconsistent play.