Mike Taylor - SG - Boys & Girls HS - Brooklyn, NY - RUTGERS

• 56 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Mike Taylor - SG - Boys & Girls HS - Brooklyn, NY - RUTGERS
« on: January 14, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/01/14/pitt-st-johns-after-mike-taylor/

Count No. 1 ranked Pittsburgh and St. John’s among those hot on the trail of Mike Taylor, the 6-foot-3 shooting guard out of Brooklyn Boys & Girls.

When Taylor dropped 19 points, including five 3-pointers on Lance Stephenson and Lincoln in a 71-61 victory on Jan. 6, St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts was joined by Pitt associate head coach Tom Herrion and Rutgers assistant Craig Carter.

“Mike Taylor can really shoot the ball,” said recruiting expert Tom Konchalski. “He’s a terrific 3-point shooter.”

Elmer Anderson, the Boys & Girls assistant, said St. John’s has offered and Pitt is extremely interested....

As for Taylor’s recruiting, Anderson said: “His recruiting is already taken off considering he’s just a sophomore. When you got the No. 1 team in the country crazy about you and the associate head coach in attendance, he’ s a high-major player.”

Also see:
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=88584&sport=2

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/content/Article.mxp/articleid-b329a3bd-0b49-417b-84be-dbaa52637fa4
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:41:51 PM by peter »

Re: Mike Taylor - SG - Boys & Girls HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 02:02:07 PM »
Really nice player and without a doubt a high major prospect.  Too early to well if he'll grow into more of a PG or will remain a combo-guard.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
Maybe the Pitt coaches were there just to watch him?

kjd01067

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 01:56:12 PM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=900610

In two seasons Boys & Girls sophomore guard Mike Taylor will have many Division I schools to choose from when it comes to making a decision about playing on the next level. For now it is clear that Taylor can play in the Big East.

Last Tuesday when the Kangaroos hosted their division rival Railsplitters of Abraham Lincoln High School an assistant coaches from the University of Pittsburgh and St. John's head coach Norm Roberts were both on hand to watch Taylor play. Both schools liked what they saw from the 6-foot-3 guard who scored 19 points in a 71 to 61 victory over Lincoln, and they made it clear to his coaches what they thought of the talented sophomore.

"St. John's told us that they would very much like to have Michael as a member of the St. Johns family and they would love to see him in a St. John's uniform," Kangaroo assistant head coach Elmer Anderson told NYChoops.net. "Pitt said that Michael is a player that they would love to have in two years."

Two years prior to college Taylor is making the most of his opportunities now. The sweet shooting guard currently leads his team in scoring averaging just less than 15 points per game. However, right now the focus is on Taylor having a good career as a student athlete at Boys & Girls. "Right now we are keeping Michael focused on schoolwork and playing the game of basketball," said Anderson. "Everything else will fall in place."

Right now everything is falling in place for Taylor now that he has his first two offers with St. John's and Pitt. It has to feel good to be wanted by two of the premier universities

kjd01067

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:00:02 PM »

kob24

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 05:53:59 PM »
theo u and i both know he is gonna be a chuck guard

Mike Taylor - SG - Boys & Girls - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 08:36:44 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/04/18/mike-taylor-picks-up-major-offers/#more-15137

Remember the name Mike Taylor in the coming months and years.

The 6-foot-3 sophomore shooting guard out of Brooklyn Boys & Girls is a star on the rise and picked up a slew of major offers after an open gym Friday at his school.

“Jamie Dixon absolutely loved him and told me to tell Mike he has an offer [from Pitt],” Boys & Girls assistant Elmer Anderson said. “Maryland, Indiana, Villanova, St. John’s and Providence also offered.” Rutgers has also offered, Anderson said.

“And at one point he hit nine straight 3’s from deep all over the place,” he added.

“Twenty-three Division 1 schools were in attendance, including UNLV, Rhode Island, UMBC, Stonybrook and New Hampshire. Mike will certainly be one of the most highly recruited players in New York City the next two years,” Anderson said.

When Taylor dropped 19 points, including five 3-pointers on Lance Stephenson and Lincoln in a 71-61 victory on Jan. 6, St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts was joined by Pitt associate head coach Tom Herrion and Rutgers assistant Craig Carter.

“Mike Taylor can really shoot the ball,” said recruiting expert Tom Konchalski. “He’s a terrific 3-point shooter.”

Pitt has raided this area for guards in recent years. The current roster includes senior Levance Fields of Brooklyn and freshmen Travon Woodall and Ashton Gibbs of New Jersey. Isaiah Epps, the No. 8 point guard in the Class of 2010, verbally committed to the Panthers out of Plainfield (NJ) High.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=78444&season=2011

December, 2008: A superb scoring, combo guard that has the always attacking mentality that big time New York guards have. He can score in a variety of ways. Michael is a great 3 point shooter that has a extremely quick release and has great elevation on his jumper that allows him to get a shot off even with a hand in his face. He shoots it off the dribble or coming off screens. He is a shooter that you can run sets for. Michael is a pressure defender that is tough and plays very hard. He gets into you all 84" and has active hands on the defensive end. In the break, Taylor will shoot the three with range or blow by his defender and hit a pull up or finish high at the rim. He is a tough shot taker but he makes them. He is able to hit some of the most difficult shots in the game on a regular basis. Taylor scored over 20 in 2 of his 3 games at the Beach Ball Classic with his best performance being a 21 pt., 6 reb., 6 ast., 3 steal effort in a win over JL Mann (SC). He was one of the better guards in the event.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Mike Taylor - SG - Boys & Girls - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 08:40:37 PM »
he's class of 2011

LJSA

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 12:52:36 AM »
He can also legally buy beer for the rest of the team.

gonzalo

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 02:34:49 PM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/07/03/catching-up-with-mike-taylor/

CATCHING UP WITH MIKE TAYLOR

July 3, 2009 by NBE Blogger · Leave a Comment

Class of 2011 shooting guard on way to being among NYC’s finest

BY JEFF BORZELLO

At the St. John’s Elite Camp on Wednesday (see full report HERE), nearly anyone with a chance to stake his claim as the best player in New York was in attendance.

If his performance in Queens was any indication, Mike Taylor has a good chance to carry the baton for the class of 2011.

The 6-3 combo guard from Boys & Girls High School in Brooklyn is a highly-touted prospect with a long list of prospective schools.

When asked what schools he was considering, he listed West Virginia, UNLV, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Louisville, St. John’s, Rutgers, Villanova, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Georgetown and Marquette as possible destinations. Boys & Girls assistant coach Elmer Anderson told Adam Zagoria on Tuesday at ZagsBlog.com that Indiana and Providence have also offered Taylor.

Taylor, who plays AAU ball with the U-16 Metro Hawks, said he would rather go away to school than stay in the area.

“I just want to get out of the environment,” he said after the Elite Camp.

It was not Taylor’s first time at St. John’s, as his team had played there during the season. However, he has not taken any official visits, and does not have any planned in the near-future.

Taylor did say, though, that he would like to see Virginia, Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh.

“Education [is my main priority in a school],” he said. “In case basketball doesn’t work out, I need something, so education is important.”

Despite recent indications that Taylor would not attend any of the major camps this summer, besides the Elite Camp at St. John’s, Taylor told NBE he would be playing at the Hoop Group Elite Camp in Reading (PA). next week, as well as the Nike Peach Jam in Augusta, S.C. He also said that he would be heading to Orlando with the Metro Hawks for the AAU tournament there in late July.

With a strong performance this summer and during the school season, don’t be surprised to see Taylor as the top player in New York City come 2011.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »
Whats up everyone. My name is Ray Anczelowicz, I run the scouting service site, www.GothamHoops.com.

Here is my scouting report on St. John's '11 recruit Mike Taylor:

http://www.gothamhoops.com/?p=64

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 07:40:59 PM »
Boys & Girls High School guard Mike Taylor has been a fixture on the NYC recruiting landscape for a year now as the sharp-shooting guard has shown the ability to score a lot of points even in the toughest situations in the PSAL. Now a junior, the recruiting interest continues to pile up from high-major colleges, especially from the Big East.

“Virginia, a href=”http://w3.nbebasketball.com/big-east-team-pages/west-virginia/”>West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, St. John’s, Seton Hall, Rutgers, mostly schools in the Big East,” responded Taylor when asked what schools have offered him. He added that Louisville and Connecticut have also shown interest.

“I go to some of the St. John’s and Rutgers games,” Taylor stated, adding he’d probably visit Pittsburgh for a game this season as well.

Like many kids on the east coast, Taylor definitely has a preference of ending up in either the Big East or the ACC when he moves on to college. Being from New York City, the Big East style certainly has a strong appeal to him.

“I like watching the Big East because they’re big, they run, they shoot, [they have an] uptempo kind of style play,” Taylor told NBE Saturday.

A guard that is NYC-tough, likes to run and shoots as if he has ice water in his veins always has a chance to find a home in the Big East basketball conference.

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2010/01/19/2011-nyc-prospects-rhoomes-taylor-like-big-east/

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 08:58:23 AM »
Three weeks after the New York State Federation Class AA final, Mike Taylor is still on fire.

The talented junior out of Boys & Girls scored a game-high 17 points to lead Brooklyn past The Bronx, 97-77, in the Wheelchair Charities HS Basketball Classic at Long Island University.

In the opener, Manhattan held off Queens, 83-81, as Arizona-bound forward Sidiki Johnson scored 20 points and Dominykas Milka of Christ the King had 12. Notre Dame Prep's Andre Armstrong, formerly of Forest Hills, had 12, as did Martin Van Buren’s Orlando Johnson.

Taylor, coming off a fine weekend at the Boo Williams Invitational (Va.) with the Metrohawks, is arguably the top junior in the tri-state area. He has attracted interest from a bevy of major Division I programs, including West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Virginia Tech, St. John’s, Seton Hall, and Indiana. He plans to take several unofficial visits this summer, narrow down his choices by August and pick a school in October, just before defending his city title with the Kangaroos.
“It’s not that I don’t want to stay local, I want to get out and see the world,” he said. “It’s not out the window [I could go to St. John’s]. I have to get to know [Lavin].”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/wheelchair_classic_notebook_taylor_Y6c0OknqSnYj5xW3X1PwVN#ixzz0kz6ort5P

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/wheelchair_classic_notebook_taylor_Y6c0OknqSnYj5xW3X1PwVN#ixzz0kz6dYVSu

pmg911

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 10:14:49 AM »

Taylor, coming off a fine weekend at the Boo Williams Invitational (Va.) with the Metrohawks, is arguably the top junior in the tri-state area.

Bit of stretch with this statement, especially since Mike Gilchrist is considered by some to be the best high scholl player in the country, regardless of class.

Taylor is good but NJ is loaded up next year with players and more then a few are as good as this kid.

Serious question. . who was the last player to come out of B&G to be an impactful high level Division I player..?

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 11:07:28 AM »
I've seen Mike. He's good but not great. He does a lot of catch and shoot but not a ton off the bounce.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 11:36:13 PM »

Taylor, coming off a fine weekend at the Boo Williams Invitational (Va.) with the Metrohawks, is arguably the top junior in the tri-state area.

Bit of stretch with this statement, especially since Mike Gilchrist is considered by some to be the best high scholl player in the country, regardless of class.

Taylor is good but NJ is loaded up next year with players and more then a few are as good as this kid.

Serious question. . who was the last player to come out of B&G to be an impactful high level Division I player..?

pearl washington...

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 02:47:48 AM »

You got it. Nobody ever accused NY of underhyping a kid.
The thing is Brazillier knows (or should know) that Taylor isn't in the same league as Gilchrist and Kabongo.
He wasn't at the Boo Williams so he's just pulling that fine weekend bs out of his ass. Taylor got lit up by several of the nation's elite 2s that weekend.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 05:13:33 PM »
http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/06/mike-taylor-keeps-getting-better/

...So these days “Lightz Out” isn’t just a shooting guard; he’s working to become a combo guard.

“I would love to play the point because he’s the leader on the floor and the second coach on the court,” said Taylor. With the added importance of being able to play both guard positions at a high level in college (see: Russell Westbrook, Tyshawn Taylor, Eric Bledsoe, or Jordan Crawford) Taylor understands that it would be wise to work on his ability to create for others.

Yung Polee

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »
Earlier today i was talking with mike on facebook he told me he was considering st. johns.  He also told me that if lavin honors grace's commitment grace will try to bring maurice harkless with him.  Harkless suposobly wants to transfer out of Uconn.

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 08:18:19 PM »
Earlier today i was talking with mike on facebook he told me he was considering st. johns.  He also told me that if lavin honors grace's commitment grace will try to bring maurice harkless with him.  Harkless suposobly wants to transfer out of Uconn.

dwayne?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.