three marquee recruits

• 10 replies
three marquee recruits
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:10:43 AM »
Is Lance that 3rd recruit?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02092009/sports/college/storms_upset_bid_falls_short_154230.htm

Pitino, a native New Yorker who built and/or rebuilt programs at Boston University, Providence, Kentucky and Louisville, has seen growth at St. John's under Roberts.

"You're going to know it's turned when they get those three marquee recruits," Pitino said. "When Mark Jackson and Chris Mullin and Walter Berry walk through that door again."

Roberts has gotten commitments from two top city players, Omari Lawrence and Dwight Hardy. The Red Storm are very much in the hunt for Lincoln star Lance Stephenson, who recently took his first official visit at Maryland

Poison

Re: three marquee recruits
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:52:32 AM »

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02092009/sports/college/storms_upset_bid_falls_short_154230.htm

Pitino, a native New Yorker who built and/or rebuilt programs at Boston University, Providence, Kentucky and Louisville, has seen growth at St. John's under Roberts.

"You're going to know it's turned when they get those three marquee recruits," Pitino said. "When Mark Jackson and Chris Mullin and Walter Berry walk through that door again."

Roberts has gotten commitments from two top city players, Omari Lawrence and Dwight Hardy. The Red Storm are very much in the hunt for Lincoln star Lance Stephenson, who recently took his first official visit at Maryland

we had better hope he is, or it's just more of the same next year.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:37:06 AM »

And all 3 play the same position

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »

The same position the team's two best playaz is currently holdin.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:15:25 PM »
I wouldn't call Hardy a marquee recruit.  Maybe you can put Omari up there if there are three slots, but Hardy is not THAT good. 

Honestly, with the way Paris has shot this year, I don't think Hardy will see the floor that much at all.  I think with enough opportunities and discipine to shoot from set positions only, I think Hardy would shoot between 37-40% from three.  Paris is almost to 37% and he play defense much better than Hardy ever will.

This is only under Norm, though.  A new coach might better utilize Hardy's scoring versatility, but Norman is all about defense and hardwork--Paris' forte.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:17:33 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:26:49 PM »

True Dat !!!

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:30:18 PM »

I understand that I am going to be bashed for saying this, but I'm a little confused as to which marquee players are coming to play for St. John's next season.  Omari Lawrence is not listed on the Rivals150 and is listed as #97 on Scout.  And Dwight Hardy is only listed as a three star prospect on Scout.  Now, I'm well aware that these recruiting services aren't the end all, but I always found them to be a somewhat reliable indicator of how the players perform at the college level.  And according to them, neither of these players are program changers.  Perhaps they will help the cause, but I doubt they are going to make St. John's into a contender overnight.  As for Lance Stephenson, I can't really argue with that point based on what everybody is saying about him.  But I'm not sure "marquee" is the appropriate word for this upcoming recruiting class.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »

True Dat !!!

I 5th that got to love Norms recruiting , maybe he is looking at Nova and there success with a 4 guard line up
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:19:49 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:24:25 PM »

I understand that I am going to be bashed for saying this, but I'm a little confused as to which marquee players are coming to play for St. John's next season.  Omari Lawrence is not listed on the Rivals150 and is listed as #97 on Scout.  And Dwight Hardy is only listed as a three star prospect on Scout.  Now, I'm well aware that these recruiting services aren't the end all, but I always found them to be a somewhat reliable indicator of how the players perform at the college level.  And according to them, neither of these players are program changers.  Perhaps they will help the cause, but I doubt they are going to make St. John's into a contender overnight.  As for Lance Stephenson, I can't really argue with that point based on what everybody is saying about him.  But I'm not sure "marquee" is the appropriate word for this upcoming recruiting class.

I'm not sure Pitino made the comments in regards to the 2009 class exclusively but maybe more as a general statement that St. John's needs three marquee guys on their team. Maybe someone on our roster (Horne?, Kennedy?, Burrell?) + future guys(Omari? Lance?) turns into those marquee guys. It's not like Mullin, Jackson, Berry were all in the same class.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »
What's up with pitino and his love with the "walkin' through that door" line?  Who can forget his famous celtics tirade "larry bird's not walkin through that door, kevin mchale's not walkin through that door, robert parrish isn't walkin through that door!"
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:21:13 AM »
What's up with pitino and his love with the "walkin' through that door" line?  Who can forget his famous celtics tirade "larry bird's not walkin through that door, kevin mchale's not walkin through that door, robert parrish isn't walkin through that door!"
which is why when he says anything about someone "walking through the door," he should not be trusted.

I don't always believe posters who talk about some conspiracy among coaches like Pitino and Calhoun to talk up Norm because they see the benefit in having him coach St. John's - I think the coaching fraternity is strong, and people defend their fellow coaches.  But what Rick said was damned disingenuous.  How in the hell is Norm going to get three marquee recruits with this kind of track record? 

And the "when they turn into juniors" line?  Pitino, of all people, should know that just experience doesn't build winning players, or Edgar Sosa wouldn't suck, he wouldn't be playing two freshman post players... you've got to bring in talent somehow, some way.