Justin Brownlee - F - Chipola College - Tifton, GA -ST. JOHN'S (Signed LOI)

• 95 replies
i hate the idea we will have so many open scholarships. if norm is still here when we have to fill up the scholarships, then the program is in big trouble. 

as to brownlee i won't comment since i haven't seen him play or heard of him.  but i'm not encouraged at all.

haha so much for not commenting on him
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

He has got to be given a chance.

This is nuts. Tyshawn Edmonson got more love than rhis guy. Everyone is certain that he's useless. I couldn't tell you why he's the 4th ranked juco, but isnt that better than we've seen out of Norm Roberts?

He's the highest rated juco we've recruited to SJU since Marcus Hatten. And no, i'm not expecting him to be in that class. Let's at least welcome him to SJU.

Maybe he'll do well here. 

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:52:07 PM by Poison »

i agree and i am not that disapointed by the player just the class. he looks athletic and like hes got skills to step outside. im excited to give him a chance and hope that maybe kob sees him on campus this summer to give us a sneak peak

Welocome aboard Justin...look forward to seeing you ball. Needed more help up front.

btw heres something else to think about: this kid is EASILY 21 or 22 years old.

he re-classified in HS as a junior, then went to SF cc for a year, then sat out a year, then went to chipola.  that makes him 4 years removed from his high school graduating class.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

kob24

Oh I heard he is real good. But undersized. He is athletic as shit and the guys who deal with him only deal with really good players. So if they are around him they think he has a chance. But once again it doesn't mean shit if he isn't getting proper coaching. U have athletes #$%^ing press the #$%^ing ball. More up tempo play.

he re-classified in HS as a junior, then went to SF cc for a year, then sat out a year, then went to chipola.  that makes him 4 years removed from his high school graduating class.

21 isnt that old for a junior in college

Poison

Oh I heard he is real good. But undersized. He is athletic as shit and the guys who deal with him only deal with really good players. So if they are around him they think he has a chance. But once again it doesn't mean shit if he isn't getting proper coaching. U have athletes #$%^ing press the #$%^ing ball. More up tempo play.

I never understood why Norm's teams never play defense.
There is no excuse to not come out playing classic sju man to man.

I think your timeline is off a little.  There wasn't a year between SFCC and Chipola.

I read that he was at the Patterson school in 2007, SFCC in 2008 and Chipola in 2009.  So he prepped a year and then 2 years in JC.  Or did he reclassify and then prep too?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

I think your timeline is off a little.  There wasn't a year between SFCC and Chipola.

I read that he was at the Patterson school in 2007, SFCC in 2008 and Chipola in 2009.  So he prepped a year and then 2 years in JC.  Or did he reclassify and then prep too?

According to the press release, there was a year between.  Here is what it says:

"Prior to his enrollment at Chipola, Brownlee attended City College of San Francisco during the 2006-07 season, where he was coached by Justin Labagh. "

That means he spent 2006-07 at CCSF and 2008-09 at Chipola, which means he didn't play in 2007-08.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

According to the press release, there was a year between.  Here is what it says:

"Prior to his enrollment at Chipola, Brownlee attended City College of San Francisco during the 2006-07 season, where he was coached by Justin Labagh. "

That means he spent 2006-07 at CCSF and 2008-09 at Chipola, which means he didn't play in 2007-08.

Thanks I didn't read the whole press release.  But would it surprise you if the press release is wrong? ;)

I read on a couple of sites that he was All state for CCSF in the 2007-08 year...who knows? :-\

just found this...
http://www.coasports.org/basketball/men/statistics.asp

Select ...Coast-North Division  2007-2008 year and hit submit.  It shows Brownlee at 17PPG
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:19:54 AM by jumpinjohnny »

gonzalo

Justin,

Welcome and good luck.

A blurb in todays Daily News quoted the Mullin  Roundball Review which sais Brownlee was a steal

This is nuts. Tyshawn Edmonson got more love than rhis guy. Everyone is certain that he's useless. I couldn't tell you why he's the 4th ranked juco, but isnt that better than we've seen out of Norm Roberts?

He's the highest rated juco we've recruited to SJU since Marcus Hatten. And no, i'm not expecting him to be in that class. Let's at least welcome him to SJU.

Poison, I don't think people are criticizing him per se.  I think people are criticizing the idea of bringing in another JUCO from the standpoint that the team now has 9 players graduating in 2 years.  No matter how anybody tries to spin it, this is absolutely devastating cause it means whatever success St. John's has over the next couple years (and it is even debateable whether they'll have success in the first place) it cannot be sustained.  This program is going to be decimated once again due to the complete mismanagement of the roster.

All I know is I feel tremendously bad for whoever takes over for Norm in the next couple years because they are going to be behind the eight ball and then some.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=910&Year=2007&ra_key=1611

#107 They had him ranked above DJ Kennedy,Jeremy Hazell,Rashod Bishop ,Jamine Peterson and others. This looks like a good signing to me

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
A blurb in todays Daily News quoted the Mullin  Roundball Review which sais Brownlee was a steal
That blurb was then quoting the official release.

Poison, I don't think people are criticizing him per se.  I think people are criticizing the idea of bringing in another JUCO from the standpoint that the team now has 9 players graduating in 2 years.  No matter how anybody tries to spin it, this is absolutely devastating cause it means whatever success St. John's has over the next couple years (and it is even debateable whether they'll have success in the first place) it cannot be sustained.  This program is going to be decimated once again due to the complete mismanagement of the roster.

All I know is I feel tremendously bad for whoever takes over for Norm in the next couple years because they are going to be behind the eight ball and then some.

The kid appears to be talented...but I agree with you.  Is Norm pulling another Jarvis and gonna leave the next coach with 2 scholarship players?  It just doesn't make any sense.  Norm was given the chance to balance the roster because of the transfers and ends up adding 2 JUCOs....it just doesn't make any sense.  (Yes I know Marco he has to win now)

peter

• Rumble in the Garden

Doody, I wholeheartedly agree.  That next coach will have a clean slate if he comes on in 2011, I suppose... but that's not a good place to be.  The administration has painted itself into a bad spot.  If Norm does decently enough to coach in 2010-2011, what happens if that year's team falls on its face?  What happens if that next recruiting class is only okay, not ready to compete?

But that's not on Justin Brownlee.  Here's hoping he's an above-the-rim finisher and low-turnover creator on offense, and that he can defend the 4 (and perhaps the 3-5).

in today's Daily News on the Sports Wire by Roger Rubin:

Justin Brownlee, a 6-7 forward from Chipola College in Florida has signed with St. John's, rounding out its recruiting class. Brownlee averaged 10.1 points and 5.8 rebounds in helping Chipola (34-2) to the NJCAA national semifinals. Mullin's Roundball Review, which tracks junior college recruiting, said "St. John's may have gotten the steal out of all junior college."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=910&Year=2007&ra_key=1611

#107 They had him ranked above DJ Kennedy,Jeremy Hazell,Rashod Bishop ,Jamine Peterson and others. This looks like a good signing to me

That is funny that you found that link because I was just saying to myself he looks better on the Offensive end than DJ, that is the good.
The bad is he looks more like a SG/SF I am pretty sure that is not a need for us.We need another guy besides Thomas who the guards can dump the ball down into the low post, being that JB & Sean Evans are face up 4/5.
With the lost of Tomas & Wait that leaves us with 6-9 Dele as our tallest player, we must play at a high tempo with such a small team.
I think it is really hard to play uptempo with a PG that can't shoot, because part of playing uptempo is spreading the floor.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 11:04:00 AM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"