Best Actor

• 60 replies
Re: Best Actor
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 10:13:42 PM »
I'm completely post padding now. Anyways speaking of Paul Rudd he is producing this show called "Party Down" on starz. Really funny show about these struggling actors in CA who all turn to banquet catering as a part time job and every episode is at a new party that they do the absolute worst job working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT2DOz2McW8#
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
BTW on a great actor thread $hia Lebutt cant be on it. Bad bad job by Marillac. LOL

I cant take that guy. Only thing he did ok w$ project greenlight.

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 11:23:45 PM »
I love Johnny Depp. He can do the serious stuff and he is funny as hell.

Tha Kid

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 03:30:46 PM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned the following "funny" men who have also done some serious roles:

Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, Steve Martin, Bill Murray --- where do they fall into this?  Certainly they dont have the range of some of the actors on this list but they are top notch in most of what they do
"I drink and I know things"

pmg911

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 11:00:24 AM »

I'm now convinced that either Marillac is " the Highlander " and is thousands of years old or he is awake 24 hours a day and doesnt sleep because I have no other way to explain how he has time for everything.

Horse ranch owner,screenplay writer,Juco basketball coach,Training to be a foster parent or something like that,always seems to be in school,Tax Lien investor and Im sure I've missed 100 things. And I'm pretty sure I just saw him a minute ago fishing for Alaskan King Crab in the Bearing Sea on the boat Northerwestern on the TV Show " The Deadliest Catch.

And he's not even 30 yet.

I'd say we should write a book on Marillac's life but he probably already has written it ( Special Section given to Diana Turasai )

There has to be a Nike or gatorade commercial in here somewhere :):)

The Highlander.  I LOVE IT..!! 

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 11:59:32 AM »
BTW on a great actor thread $hia Lebutt cant be on it. Bad bad job by Marillac. LOL

Have you seen "A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints" ?  Incredible.  He's just a very talented kid.  I don't put him in the same class as a Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but if I'd buy his acting stock if it were for sale .

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned the following "funny" men who have also done some serious roles:

Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, Steve Martin, Bill Murray --- where do they fall into this?  Certainly they dont have the range of some of the actors on this list but they are top notch in most of what they do

I detest Jim Carey as a comedian, but he does the serious roles as well as you can ask.  "The Truman Show" was fantastic and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" was one of the best movies I've ever seen. 

I also don't like Robin Williams as a comedian that much, but he can act his arse off. 

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 12:42:48 PM »

I detest Jim Carey as a comedian, but he does the serious roles as well as you can ask.  "The Truman Show" was fantastic and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" was one of the best movies I've ever seen. 

I also don't like Robin Williams as a comedian that much, but he can act his arse off.

The last time Jim Carrey was funny was on In Living Color. As for best actor, Gene Hackman needs to ne mentioned

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 12:45:25 PM »

The last time Jim Carrey was funny was on In Living Color. As for best actor, Gene Hackman needs to ne mentioned
Great call on Hackman. Totally forgot about him

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 12:50:26 PM »

Have you seen "A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints" ?  Incredible.  He's just a very talented kid.  I don't put him in the same class as a Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but if I'd buy his acting stock if it were for sale .

Didnt see that movie but I saw him in Indy Jones and that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and was proportionate to his acting in it.

Transformers wasnt exactly an academy worthy performance. I thought that movie sucked for the most part also.

Disturbia was good but I thought that movie was good for the plot and a lot of actors could have done the same job he did.

If he was a stock I'd short him on any strength in his box office numbers :)

I consider him more of a goofy looking Ben Affleck

LJSA

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 02:14:34 PM »
My girlfriend was in one of Seymour Hoffman's recent movies. Synecdoche. She's a dead person in one of the final scenes in the movie. Hoffman practically steps right over her.

I wanted to die by the end of it--it went on FOREVER. But I'm sure she was brilliant.

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 03:00:30 PM »
My girlfriend was in one of Seymour Hoffman's recent movies. Synecdoche. She's a dead person in one of the final scenes in the movie. Hoffman practically steps right over her.

I wanted to die by the end of it--it went on FOREVER. But I'm sure she was brilliant.

She's up for an academy award for best dead person. :)

That movie was pretty boring.

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 03:03:33 PM »

I think bigeastboards might beat her out as dead person ;)

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »

I agree with you entirely on Carrey.  That broad humor hasn't held much appeal since I was 12 but the two movies you mentioned were fantastic, especially Eternal Sunshine, one of my top 5.

I can't find anything nice to say about Robin Williams so we'll end it there.

boo3

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 06:34:58 PM »
  Robin Williams was good in Good Will Hunting.  thats about it.

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 06:36:23 PM »

That movie was strong evidence that writers should write and not direct.  Kaufman, who also wrote Eternal Sunshine, has written some great movies and maybe this could have been another in someone else's hands but in his it was a bit too much.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:39:43 PM by yankcranker »

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 10:25:45 PM »

Dead Poets Society,Awakenings

pmg911

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 10:12:06 AM »

Death to Smoochy was great too..

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »
I can't believe no one said arnold schwarzenegger, no one can put their top 20 against his

Best actor ever
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

LJSA

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2009, 06:39:17 PM »
I can't believe no one said arnold schwarzenegger, no one can put their top 20 against his

Best actor ever

I can't tell if you are joking or if you are 14 years old.;)

He is a terrible actor who has had the good fortune to be in entertaining action/sci-fi movies.