Observations from pickup

• 55 replies
Observations from pickup
« on: June 15, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »
After watching the guys on the team play pick-up against each other for a few weeks now, here are some observations:

Mase and Rob thomas were the 2 player best at creating their offenses. thomas is in a lot better condition then fans give him credit for.

Dwight hardy hit almost every 3 i saw him take.

malik stith is fast as hell. he is a good defender for his size and often succeeded at locking boothe down. he took the open shot when given the oppertunity and most of the time he hit it. he's a pass-first guard. one area of concern was his turnovers. he turned the ball over a lot.

quincy surprised me...he played better then i had ever seen him play before in practice or in games...it will be interesting to see how this translates next season. im not sure if he'll even get PT, but well see.

omari and brownlee werent at any of these games.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

Re: Observations from pickup
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:04:03 PM »
paris and Dj played well as expected. and it was hard to judge the bigs from pickup. evans and coker had most their points from alleyoops, dunks, ect. didnt get to see a variety of post moves or anything like that.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:26:27 PM »
I said it in another post...i am really excited about this group of players. I hope Mase and Brownlee can score and set other people up (point forwards). We have two PG in the two Maliks and they both will need to knock down some shots this year. Most importantly, look forward to how our Jrs play and lead. We have more depth then we ever had so when we do sub there should not be a huge drop off. We shall see. Big year for Norm...lets see how this shakes out.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »
Malik Stith was able to lock down Boothe.
So he has 2 arms and 2 legs.

We need him to be ready to
Go right away. The most disappointing player on our team
Last year was Boothe. We really didn't see anything from him that would give us hope for the future.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 11:36:18 PM »
boothe is still a better player than stith..

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
People just love hating on STJ pg's. 

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:36:34 AM »

If that is the case,the team will not make much progress next year.

The two obvious places they need MASSIVE improvement are at point guard & center.

Tha Kid

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »
After watching the guys on the team play pick-up against each other for a few weeks now, here are some observations:

Mase and Rob thomas were the 2 player best at creating their offenses. thomas is in a lot better condition then fans give him credit for.

malik stith is fast as hell. he is a good defender for his size and often succeeded at locking boothe down. he took the open shot when given the oppertunity and most of the time he hit it. he's a pass-first guard. one area of concern was his turnovers. he turned the ball over a lot.

quincy surprised me...he played better then i had ever seen him play before in practice or in games...it will be interesting to see how this translates next season. im not sure if he'll even get PT, but well see.

Hey guys I saw Dele Coker  walking down the "street" the other day.  ;)  He looked like a "mack truck" and told me he would be "ready" to protect the "paint."  :-*   Ater Majok better "watch out" or he'll be on his "arse" (lol) when Dele gets to him!   ;D ;D

Peace!  8)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:56:52 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 11:01:47 AM »

Boothe would have looked like a better player, if we had players with more offensive skill. Kennedy had too many stretches where he was ice cold. So did everyone.

If Stith can score he's got value to us. Boothe can be the playmaking guard,
but when that's not working out, we can try something else.

When it didn't work out last year, we turned to Quincy Roberts and TyShawn Edmonson. And that couldn't have been uglier.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:03:13 AM by Poison »

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 11:03:21 AM »

Hey guys I saw Dele Coker  walking down the "street" the other day.  ;)  He looked like a "mack truck" and told me he would be "ready" to protect the "paint."  :-*   Ater Majok better "watch out" or he'll be on his "arse" (lol) when Dele gets to him!   ;D ;D

Peace!  8)

Not necessary
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »
from everyone i have heard from, they think dwight hardy will make a big impact for us. we'll see.

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »
from everyone i have heard from, they think dwight hardy will make a big impact for us. we'll see.

A few people I have asked about this agree but as I have asked before. If Hardy is going to have impact, whose minutes does he take..?

Tha Kid

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »

Peace!  8)

Not necessary

"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »

Boothe would have looked like a better player, if we had players with more offensive skill. Kennedy had too many stretches where he was ice cold. So did everyone.

If Stith can score he's got value to us. Boothe can be the playmaking guard,
but when that's not working out, we can try something else.

When it didn't work out last year, we turned to Quincy Roberts and TyShawn Edmonson. And that couldn't have been uglier.

idk what everyone is expecting from stith..but hes not gonna come in an be an instant scorer for us. most his points will come of the fast break because he does have good court vision and intercepts passes pretty often. hes also a good hustle player when it comes to 50-50 balls. having said that his jump shot is pretty inconsistent and unrealible, especially from 3 point range

Poison

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 02:08:12 PM »
How is it that after 6 years, Hofstra can recruit guards that can dribble AND shoot, and we can't?

Can Stith defend at least? Can he finish on the break, or when we penetrates?

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 03:29:22 PM »

A few people I have asked about this agree but as I have asked before. If Hardy is going to have impact, whose minutes does he take..?

Whatever SG that is not hitting their shots that particular night!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 09:44:32 AM »

Well said.  The whole "whose minutes" assumes a fixed set of minutes for each player. There aren't many players on the team good enough to get guaranteed minutes; it might depend from game to game, and Hardy can be told to look for his shot once he's on the court.

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 11:22:09 AM »

Well said.  The whole "whose minutes" assumes a fixed set of minutes for each player. There aren't many players on the team good enough to get guaranteed minutes; it might depend from game to game, and Hardy can be told to look for his shot once he's on the court.

Peter..   you know I am not expecting "set minutes" but if Hardy plays big minutes its going to impact the playing time of multiple players....    possibly Horne, Omari, definitely Quincy..   we all know there are only so many minutes to go around.

My point is that there are going to be some very unhappy players on this team next year. I think the two most unhappy guys will end up being Quincy Roberts & Rob Thomas.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »

Peter..   you know I am not expecting "set minutes" but if Hardy plays big minutes its going to impact the playing time of multiple players....    possibly Horne, Omari, definitely Quincy..   we all know there are only so many minutes to go around.

My point is that there are going to be some very unhappy players on this team next year. I think the two most unhappy guys will end up being Quincy Roberts & Rob Thomas.

Rob Thomas showed that he could compete with some of the league's best players, and for that, he'll be out there. But he'll play inside. There, we are not so deep. Evans, Burrell and Coker all did one thing with consistency: foul.

Q Roberts needs a lot of work. His shot is erratic, and he has the worst handle on the team out of all of our guards, and swingmen. He shouldn't play, unless he comes back a significantly improved player.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »
If it gets the best players on the court and brings in wins, unhappiness is fine by me; any team has unhappy players, or players who wish they got more time.  With the injury history under Norm, everyone's gonna get a chance to shine! 

I think Rob will get time - there are only 4 forward/ centers on the roster, after all, unless Brownlee plays down low (and according to his local paper, he's working on his perimeter game (!)), and Quincy can play more as a senior or earn playing time in practice - didn't we hear that Paris earned his time by outplaying Larry Wright (or at least playing defense)?

It's true that there are only so many minutes to go around, but every college team plays with 200 player-minutes.  If managed right, it's a welcome problem to have.  And if someone chooses to leave because of playing time, good luck to them and we can (hopefully) get another viable player who won't be a freshman in 2011.