Jermaine Sanders - SG/ SF - Rice HS - Bronx, NY - CINCINNATI

• 29 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
http://hsnewyork.scout.com/a.z?s=403&p=8&c=1&nid=4418026

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/04/06/class-of-2011-intro-jermaine-sanders/

Sanders, a supplement to the prolific scorer in Scott, played a significant role on this year’s state championship squad.

While Scott (a veritable superman at times) may have been the main attraction, Sanders stamped his imprint with a superb supporting role.

The sophomore shredded some fear from last year, showing a proclivity for putting the ball on the deck, penetrating, and finishing on super-sized bigs.

Sanders employs that rush-hour attitude, he loves to play in traffic. He has grown into his body and learned to jump at contact. He’s a ball of athleticism and energy, splitting defenders on his way to the cup. The Queens native became an instant lynchpin in the uptempo, go-go style that Rice coach Moe Hicks utilizes.

In addition to bringing his track shoes to every game, Sanders also dials in from long distance. He can heat up from beyond the confines of the arc, as he proved during the Big Apple Classic and in various games this season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=67043&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d67043

February, 2009: Sanders is a strong wing that attacks the rim. He is a lefty that can get in the lane and finish through contact or draw the foul. He sprints the lane in transition and can split defenders to score. Sanders is very aggressive and constantly looks to attack defenders. He is a good defender that does a good job of using his body to keep the ball handler in front of him. Sanders also does a good job on the glass especially offensively where he gets a number of timely tip-ins. He must improve his perimeter shooting but he will always have a positive impact on the game because of his aggressive style.

http://www.i95ballerz.com/story%20-%20rumblers%20pt%202.html

Jermaine Sanders - 6'5", 200 pound guard, Class of 2011 - New Heights (16u) - If a product of Rice High School in Harlem can be a sleeper, it's Sanders, who has to be one of the most efficient guards in his class; he always makes the right decision, whether it be in the half court or full court settings. Always under control, Sanders just grinds.

"West Virginia, Virginia Tech, St. Johns and Virginia" are recruiting him, Jermaine revealed. Going forward, expect the lefty to "work on ball handling with my right hand".

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/06/29/2009-06-29_jermaine_sanders_builds_name.html

"He is definitely going to be one of the next greats out of New York City," said Kimani Young, a former assistant at St. John's who recently returned to Bronx-based New Heights, where Sanders plays club basketball. "Right now, he's a legit Big East and ACC recruit, and he just finished his sophomore year," Young added. "It's only going to get bigger."

Longtime Rice coach Maurice Hicks also says that Sanders is developing into a special player.

"He's in that same class with all of the top players that have come out of our school," Hicks said. "He has size on him and keeps getting better and better. Sky's the limit."

Sanders, who helped Miami-bound guard Durand Scott lead Rice to the CHSAA city championship and state Federation Class AA title this past season, knows he'll have to become the Raiders' featured scorer.

To prepare for the role, Sanders has been clocking overtime this summer. He already led New Heights to the 16-and-under championship at the Rumble in The Bronx tournament this month, and looks to keep that momentum going when he attends next week's Reebok summer camp in Philadelphia.

Sanders is a self-proclaimed gym rat, one whose coaches say they have to literally drag him out off the hardwood.

"He's a basketball junkie and he won't leave that gym before making a set number of shots," said Joel Shapiro, another New Heights coach.
What's the magic number?

"I'll get to practice early and leave late, and put up 800-900 shots," Sanders said. "I start off shooting off the dribble, and then from all over the court. I want to get quicker."

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:58:16 PM by Dave »

Re: Jermaine Sanders - SG/ SF - Rice HS - Bronx, NY
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 02:47:47 PM »
Hey what's up everyone. My names Ray Anczelowicz, I run the scouting service site, www.GothamHoops.com.

Here is my scouting report on St. John's '11 recruit, Jermaine Sanders:

http://www.gothamhoops.com/?p=60

gonzalo

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 01:52:14 AM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/07/31/summer-in-the-city-news-notes-12-noon-update/

Jermaine Sanders out of Rice High School is an impressive 2011 backcourt prospect and he told NBE he has a standing offer from St. John’s and interest coming from Virginia, Miami, Marquette, Villanova and Virginia Tech.

gonzalo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/09/17/jermaine-sanders-has-big-east-offers/

Class of 2011 Rice guard is next hot prospect from Raiders program in NYC

by Zach Smart

Jermaine Sanders is yet to lace up his kicks for his heavily anticipated 2009-10 junior campaign at Rice High School.

He’s yet to fill the scoring void left by Miami freshman Durand Scott, the latest electrifying guard from a program that’s produced the likes of Edgar Sosa and Kemba Walker.

Still, the offers keep piling up. Sanders, an all-around scoring threat, who augmented his defensive presence while learning how to create offense and score by putting the ball on the deck this summer, has been offered by Providence, St. John’s and Villanova.

Sanders said over the summer he’d like a school with good proximity to his New York City home. SJU and ‘Nova both offer that aspect.

Scott, now a freshman at Miami after spurning top=notch Big East programs, was a high-volume scorer who stirred the drink for coach Mo Hicks last season.

Rice returns a solid core that will feature burgeoning big man Kadeem Jack.

Considering the way Sanders performed on the AAU circuit this summer, evolving into a nationally recognized recruit who can score in a variety of ways, he will be the centerpiece.

“Those three schools are going the hardest,” said Sanders, adding that Maryland, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Miami, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Rutgers, Marquette, and a laundry-list of other schools have shown interest.

Netting the 6-foot-5 guard will be no small task, especially if he picks up where he left off this summer.

“Jermaine’s always had a knack for putting the ball in the basket,” said New Heights coach Adam Berkowitz.

“He can shoot, he can drive, he can score in a lot of different ways. Most impressively, his ball handling, his defense, his rebounding has been much improved the last couple of years.”

Berkowitz continued, “Obviously he’s only a junior. But he’s primed to have a real good season with Rice. They’re going to have a good team.”

That they do.

Rice boasts a star-spangled squad with Sanders, Jack, and the crafty Shane Southwell (many Big East teams watching), a 6-foot-5 small forward.

Sanders contains the indispensable ingredients to emerge into one of not the go-to-guy over the next two seasons, as Rice continues to face a national schedule.

“He’s just concerned about working hard and getting better,” said Berkowitz. “He’s one of those kids that just works hard and wants to keep improving. He’s going to get a lot of exposure this season.”

Playing for New Heights this season, Sanders led the vaunted 16U team—which included local products Tyquan Goodlet, Shamel Williams, Emmanuel Aandujar, and 6-foot-9 Thomas Jefferson Center Edson Avilla—to a championship at Rumble In The Bronx.

Williams, a 6-foot-5 junior guard, recently transferred from Rice to Thomas Jefferson HS in Brooklyn.

What’s the main challenge cooking on Sanders’ front stove right now?

“Just getting better, working hard, getting ready for the season,” said Sanders, who already has the team’s first game in November penciled down on his calendar.

“I’m not thinking about colleges until later on really.”

According to Berkowitz, hard work is Sanders’ calling card.

“He’s just concerned about working hard and getting better, you know making sure his academics are in order. He’s going to have a lot of high-major offers.”

Sanders has no college visits slated, albeit he is considering Providence, St. John’s and Villanova over the others for now.

gonzalo

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 02:10:20 AM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2010/01/25/jermaine-sanders-a-hot-2011-big-east-prospect/

JERMAINE SANDERS A HOT 2011 BIG EAST PROSPECT

January 25, 2010 by NBE Blogger · Leave a Comment

by RAY MERNAGH

Jermaine Sanders scored 15 points for the Rice Raiders (NYC) in their win over Westchester (CA) Saturday night at the Prime Time Shootout.

Sanders is a 6-foot-5 swing man/small forward that can simply score the ball in a lot of different ways. Against Westchester, he was deadly from beyond the three-point line. He’s also a solidly built kid who should continue to get stronger and shows the ability to share the ball and defend within a team concept.

Apparently Big East coaches, and others, really like his game and potential for growth. Sanders has had a fantastic season thus far for the Raiders as Rice plays it’s normally top-flight schedule.

Sanders rattled off a list of “Villanova, St. John’s, Virginia Tech, Pitt and Miami.”

When I asked if those were all offers he replied “yes, all offers.”

Sanders plays AAU with New Heights and Kimani Young confirmed in a text that “Nova, St. John’s, Pitt, Miami, Virginia Tech and others have offered.”

Look for Sanders to stock to continue to rise as his junior season continues, but there can no longer be any doubt that this kid is a high-major talent.

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »
Look for Sanders to stock to continue to rise as his junior season continues, but there can no longer be any doubt that this kid is a high-major talent.

If recent history proves itself to be an accurate indicator, the last sentence pretty much promises he will not sign with St. john's.

Moose

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 10:35:47 AM »

If recent history proves itself to be an accurate indicator, the last sentence pretty much promises he will not sign with St. john's.

That and the fact that Kimani is involved worries me.
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:17:10 AM »
Someone needs to get into the Kimani thing.  After he left, it seemed like his players stopped talking about St. John's (I think JayVaughn did over last summer, not sure about the others).  Does he simply see that this is an unstable situation for a player to step into?  Or does he actively dislike the staff? 

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »
Na not the case. I know Jayvaughn was talking about us till the end. Kimani doesn't have blind loyalty here and he's looking for the best situations for each of his kids individually.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 09:45:25 AM »
offers coming from Providence St. Johns and Nova

Moose

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »

I don't see this happening since he is a Rice player.

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 12:21:34 PM »
just relaying the news i read

Tha Kid

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 01:47:11 PM »

If Lavin expects Dunlap to be here for 1 year only at which point Hicks becomes assistant, that's how it can happen.
"I drink and I know things"

Moose

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »

If Lavin expects Dunlap to be here for 1 year only at which point Hicks becomes assistant, that's how it can happen.

IF

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/06/19/sanders-lights-up-villanova-team-camp/#more-35607

Sanders says his college list includes Villanova, St. John’s, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Miami, South Carolina and Maryland.

He has long thought highly of Villanova.

“They are  pretty high right now,” he said.

Sanders has been to St. John’s many times, and Young said Sanders may try to visit Rutgers and Seton Hall in the coming days.

“We’re going to look at Rutgers and Seton Hall. We might try and squeeze some visits in the next week with the local schools and after the live period we might take some other visits,” Young said.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 10:39:06 AM »
VERY CONFUSING - how can he have an offer from St. John's when he is off limits to us because of the Mo Hicks hire..?

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »
Well we knew he wasn't coming here....Looks like he is following Lance's footsteps

[tweet]http://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/25746963535[/tweet]
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

Re: Jermaine Sanders - SG/ SF - Rice HS - Bronx, NY - CINCINNATI
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 11:36:25 PM »
Obviously, he's going there for the academics and great weather.

Re: Jermaine Sanders - SG/ SF - Rice HS - Bronx, NY - CINCINNATI
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 01:37:06 PM »
Obviously, he's going there for the academics and great weather.
Lol-don't forget the easy access to Northern Kentucky

There are plenty of worse college cities to bide one's time. He seemed like a well-intentioned young man and I hope he's successful there. I also like the strengthening of the bottom-half BE teams.