Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 504 replies

gonzalo

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/09/usa-2010-down-canada-at-adidas-nations/

Maurice Harkless, a 6-7 junior wing out of Forest Hills High in Queens, and advisor Nathan Blue took an  unofficial visit to St. John’s University last week.

“We had a long conversation with Head Coach Norm Roberts and feel confident that St. John’s is going to be in the running for Maurice,” Blue said.

“We will re-visit St. John’s in the near future with his mother Rosa Harkless, and Forest Hills Head Coach Ben Chobhaphand. We also are in  the process of visiting Seton Hall, UConn, Hofstra, and Florida State in the next month.”
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:51:48 PM by jumpinjohnny »

Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - Forest Hills HS - Forest Hills, NY
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 07:48:48 AM »
http://www.fiveborosports.com/ssp/news?news_id=3689

Maurice Harkless rolled his eyes and gazed skyward as he was asked to tick off his interested suitors.

UConn.

St. John’s.

Florida State.

West Virginia.

He yawned, stretched his lanky arms over his head, look over at the court behind him, then glanced at the floor as he listed just a few of them.

Harkless, the rising 6-foot-7 junior out of Forest Hills HS who has enjoyed a breakthrough summer, would rather run wind sprints than discuss his potentially promising future. He leaves that to his advisor, Nate Blue, and high-school coach, Ben Chobhaphand.

Last week, when he returned home from the AAU Super Showcase in Orlando, he asked Chobhaphand how his summer was going instead of boasting about his sudden high-major Division I prospects. The two have yet to discuss them.

“It hasn’t fazed him,” Chobhaphand said of the wiry-strong 16-year-old kid from South Jamaica who he calls his best player yet in five years at the Queens school.

In a lengthy interview Friday afternoon at Summer in the City, a one-day AAU tournament at St. John’s, Harkless talked about his newfound fame, the result of a busy summer playing with the Long Island Lightning, Juice All-Stars and New York Elite, which went by SpongeTech Elite on Friday. He has played in front of hundreds of high-level college coaches at numerous events.

The attention, Harkless said, was “intimidating,” initially, all those sets of eyes following his every move. He quickly adjusted.

“It makes me want to keep working to get more and more (offers),” he said, “so I can pick what school I want.”

He has grown used to the attention. At Summer in the City, with Kentucky coach John Calipari and Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl following his game, he played Rice standout Jermaine Sanders, who some have rated as the best New York City player in the class of 2011, to a draw.

“It doesn’t effect me at all now,” he said. “I keep playing.”

Blue called Harkless an ordinary kid blessed with extraordinary talents. Close friend Mike Poole, a rising senior at St. Benedict’s Prep (N.J.) and fellow Queens native, said Harkless is quiet and unassuming. He likes to keep to himself.

A talented player out of P.S. 238 in Jamaica, Harkless didn’t take basketball seriously until last summer, Poole said, when he played with Blue’s program, Real Scout. The two began working out together last summer and have done the same this year.

“He has all the qualities of being a big-time player,” said Poole, who has played with several Division I players at St. Benedict’s, including Scott Machado of Iona, the MAAC Rookie of the Year, and Louisville big man Samardo Samuels. “We all push him because we know what he can be.”

He doesn’t need much prodding. Chobhaphand said Harkless doesn’t necessarily work more than others like him, but he is consistent, spending every day of the week in the gym.

“Mo’s a throwback kind-of-kid,” Chobhaphand said. “He’s just worrying about getting better. That’s what separates him from other kids.”

Said Blue: “It doesn’t affect him, because he plays basketball for fun. Hopefully after high school and college, it’s something he can get paid for doing. But if not, he’ll get paid for something else. He’s a bright kid.”

He enjoyed a phenomenal sophomore season for Forest Hills, leading the Rangers to their first Queens borough crown. He was thrust into a major role due to injuries and academic ineligibility of those around him. Yet, he only got better as Forest Hills’ roster of upperclassmen shrunk.

“He wanted possessions; he didn’t want to take a backseat,” Chobhaphand said. “You don’t see that in a lot of sophomores.”

Even more impressively, Harkless hasn’t let any of it get to his head – the Big East offers, his rising ranking, his sophomore season. Instead, he has looked to add dimensions to his game. Knowing he will likely be a small forward at the next level, he has set out to improve his perimeter game – expanding range to his jumpshot and working on his ball-handling and on-the-ball defense, two weaknesses. Even during the season, he was taking extra jump shots and pushing himself through dribbling drills, on his own time.

There is still plenty of room for improvement, Blue said. Harkless needs to raise his basketball IQ and continue working on extending the range on his jump shot. The part-time AAU coach still doesn’t understand why Harkless isn’t known more nationwide.

That doesn’t bother Harkless, however. He is focused on the task at hand: incrementally getting better each and every day. Those watching – and growing interested – is just a byproduct.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 10:58:05 PM »
Maurice Harkless also attended Norm Robert's basketball camp when he was in 8th grade, before he began getting seriously recruited. He seemed to like Norm and St. John's overall, so I have high hopes of him going to SJU

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:40:19 AM »
Maurice Harkless '11 to cut list--SHU, St Johns, FSU, Zona, Pitt, PC, UK, UConn, Hofstra, Cinci, Nova, RU--to 6 & commit soon per AAU coach.  ::)
about 3 hours ago from web

http://twitter.com/NorthstarBball

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:47:14 AM »
It would be nice to start the ball rolling for 2011 class

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
You're right, Red2395!  Let's get the ball rolling and rolling big time on the 2011 class and land Harkless.

He's a top 50 player and could be a pied-piper to others joining him.  Hopefully, we can get a committment from Pinkston (2010 class) and Harkless (2011 class).

C'mon, Maurice!  Make it happen for the Johnnies!

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »
You're right, Red2395!  Let's get the ball rolling and rolling big time on the 2011 class and land Harkless.

He's a top 50 player and could be a pied-piper to others joining him.  Hopefully, we can get a committment from Pinkston (2010 class) and Harkless (2011 class).

It's more about working with his handler/street agent, Nate Blue.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 03:24:23 PM »
Nate Blue gloms on to some good talents, so maybe he's worth it. 

But that makes Harkless a little less likely, doesn't it?  Or is the staff playing the game a little more?

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 05:00:08 PM »

Where have you seen that he's a top 50 player ?
Molloy '71

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:27:18 PM by peter »

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 01:39:29 AM »
I'm friends with Nate.  He's a fan of Norm.  Definitely giving Mo every opportunity to look at St. John's.  Nate keep things pretty close to the vest though, so not sure where we stand with him.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 06:41:57 PM »
Maurice Harkless of Forest Hills high school in Queens will be deciding his college future on Wednesday, December 9th.

http://johnnyjungle.com/a-red-ray-in-gotham/harkless-keeps-red-storm-in-sight/
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 08:35:37 PM »
Did I hear him say Fordham?

Well he wants to stay close to home hopefully that means real close and one would think would knock out Kentucky. 

mkras99

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »
I think we'd all be surprised if he didn't pick UConn.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 01:07:55 AM »
I don't have a ton of inside info on this one, but my educated guess here would actually be St. John's.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »
It would be a big first commitment for the 2011 class.  Let's hope you're right.

But there were rumors that he committed last week to Uconn so I don't have my hopes up.

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 09:31:20 AM »
I don't have a ton of inside info on this one, but my educated guess here would actually be St. John's.

I hope you are right.

It would be a great start to the 2011 class

SJU79

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »
Uconn