St. John's vs. Miami Pre-Game Discussion

• 25 replies
St. John's vs. Miami Pre-Game Discussion
« on: November 29, 2007, 12:44:14 PM »
Posted on the Calendar....
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: St. John's vs. Miami Pre-Game Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 01:45:04 PM »
i think a good amount of the jungle is over 21 any plans on meeting up at a sports bar or someplace to watch it? i know its sunday at 4 so most bars probably be showing the NFL games but cmon We ARE ST JOHNS WE ARE NYC TEAM hahahahahaha

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 02:51:25 PM »
Any follow up news on Tomas and Larry's avail for Sunday ?
Molloy '71

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »
I don't think Larry is hurt that bad maybe a bruise?

Tomas is a bit lingering and I don't expect him to be 100% but should also be available.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 05:28:09 PM »
I am also wondering as this game is on MSG, will it be in Hi-def???

I think I have maybe seen only one SJU game in hi-def. I think I might be asking for too much as I should be happy that this game is at least on tv!!!!!!!  :-\

redstorm32

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:57:03 PM »
tomas prob wont be 100% healthy at all this year

that knee injury is gonna be a pain everyday but he is a tough kid and will play through it as he has done so far

i would think larry will play
prob gonna have to wear some hardcore hip pads or something to protect that tender spot

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:18:46 PM »
hopefully larry should be ok for this game, seems to be just a bruise on the hip. as far as tomas is concerned he will probably hurting for a while but he showed he can play through it. even if he looks like hes lost out there most of the time.
We Not Me

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 09:47:54 PM »
no chance it will be in hidef.  it will be a "big east tv" (espn+) production that msg is just picking up the feed of.  these wont be msg announcers or crew in most likelyhood.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Randomhero423

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 10:46:50 PM »
how is miami this year?  i know they'll atleast be ok since their in the ACC.  but do they got a shot at the NIT?

redstorm32

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 10:50:48 PM »
i think they're pretty decent

they have a 5th year senior returning

im sure they'll have a shot at the nit

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 11:10:48 PM »
Miami is currently 6-0, with a good win over Providence (say what you will about them, but hell, they usually beat us).

It's our first true test.  Can we win?  Yes.  But it will be difficult, especially without the added depth that Mase brings to the table.

I don't expect to win, but I wouldn't be shocked if we pulled it out.  I'll be curious to see how we adjust to the road.  If we can play with the intensity that we've displayed (at times) this year, we ought to give a good fight.

Originally I was going to head to a bar to watch the game, but now that it's on MSG, I'll watch from the comfort of my home.  Besides, if I throw the remote control at or through the TV, I won't have to pay unlike at the bar...  ;D

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 12:12:29 AM »
MSG doesn't have our games in hi-def when they are producing telecasts themselves at the Garden lol so no chance of it being in HD on the road sadly. As much as I hate SD lol I'm just rejoicing they picked it up

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 12:20:52 AM »
this should be a tough one on the road no matter how good Miami is...lets hope we can steal one on the road with the first road test...

Just looking for them to keep it close...
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 12:23:39 AM »
Be sure to check out Calm Before the Storm tomorrow as Garrett will be back to form and he apologizes for his absence for the LIU game

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 05:45:46 AM »
Before the season I pegged this game as a "L"... after watching the first 3 1/2 games i was going to put this game in the "W" column... now w/ Mase out i am "cautiously optimistic" that we might have a shot at "stealing" this game. It's going to come down to our 'D' & our three point shooting imo. If we fare better in those two areas than Miami we win. If not we're in DEEP sh*t..  :D .. peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 08:40:02 AM »
I agree...the key stat this game will be rebounding.  If we win the battle of the boards, we win this game.  That is, if we win the battle of the boards, it means we stayed out of foul trouble, got some second chances on O, and made some stops on D.

Also, we can't shoot any worse than last game.  If we hit 30% or more of our threes and win the glass, we can win this game.

They have some size up front, but they're not overwhelming.  No Thabeet's or anyone of that size.

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 03:10:04 PM »
Rebounding will be huge in this one. With TJ banged up the key factor will be Dele...can he get big boards and stay out of fould trouble for us. After 4 games we can see that Burrell and DJ are gunna come with every nite, although this is there first true test as freshman...so see how they respond. Need LW to be big for us too... and I get the feeling oldred has us going undefeated this season.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 03:39:06 PM »
Rebounding will be huge in this one. With TJ banged up the key factor will be Dele...can he get big boards and stay out of fould trouble for us. After 4 games we can see that Burrell and DJ are gunna come with every nite, although this is there first true test as freshman...so see how they respond. Need LW to be big for us too... and I get the feeling oldred has us going undefeated this season.

Yeah, i had us going "undefeated" this season bubby.. ::) .. btw - Here was my pre-season prediction with a HEALTHY Mase :

Nov. 14 -- St. Francis (Carnesecca Arena)... W
Nov. 20 -- Sacred Heart (CA)... W
Nov. 25 -- FDU (CA)... W
Nov. 28 -- LIU (CA)... W
Dec. 2. -- Miami at Coral Gables (4 p.m. FSN)... L
Dec. 15. -- Niagara (CA)... W
Dec. 19, 21, 22 -- Rainbow Classic in Honolulu, first game against Ohio (5 p.m. HST)... 2 W, 1 L
Dec. 28 -- Marist in Holiday Festival (Madison Square Garden)... W
Dec. 29 -- Hofstra or Virginia Tech in Holiday Festival (MSG)... W
Jan. 2 -- at Syracuse... L
Jan. 5 -- Cincinnati (CA... W
Jan. 8 -- at UConn (Gampel)... L
Jan. 12 -- Depaul (CA)... W
Jan. 17 -- at West Virginia... L
Jan. 23 -- Pitt (MSG)... W
Jan. 26 -- at Louisville... L
Jan. 30 -- Georgetown (MSG)... L
Feb. 2 -- at South Florida... W
Feb. 6 -- at Rutgers... W
Feb. 9 -- Providence (CA)... W
Feb. 13 -- at Cincinnat... W
Feb. 16 -- Villanova (at MSG)... W
Feb. 20 -- Marquette (at MSG, 7 p.m. ESPN2)... L
Feb. 23 -- at Duke (4 p.m. CBS)... L
Feb. 27 -- at Georgetown... L
March 1 -- Seton Hall (CA)... W
March 5 -- at Notre Dame... L
March 8 -- West Virginia (MSG)... W

p.s. - 19-11(10-8).. ;D .. peace!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 03:42:31 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 03:41:20 PM »
Anyone interested in meeting in the city to watch the game at a bar?

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 11:26:43 AM »
Anyone interested in meeting in the city to watch the game at a bar?

Thanks for the invite jc. And if it was any other day/time i might join u for a beer. But not on a sunday at 4:00 pm, especially with the Giants playing Chicago at that time as well... In other words, whoever scheduled this game for a late sunday afternoon during football season is a friggin' nice person.. ::) .. peace!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 11:30:06 AM by oldred10 »