Doron Lamb - SG - Bishop Loughlin - Brooklyn, NY - KENTUCKY

• 141 replies
Re: Doron Lamb - SG - Bishop Loughlin - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
if you are a high level recruit at this point. . why would you come to St. John's..?

why wouldn't you want to come to St. John's?

just playing devils advocate here:

1. Horrific brand of basketball to both play and watch
   2.  Been almost 10years since program has produced a pro. 
  3.  sparse crowds.
  4.  Jaimaca ain't exactly Chapel Hill

1. I enjoyed watching our team at times last season.
2. 10 years past has nothing to do with next
3. win and the place will be packed
4. Chapel Hill ain't exactly Madison Square Garden

1.  No one cares what you personally, the creator of st johns coolest fan website, enjoyed.

2.  10 years might not have anything to do with next, but the last 2 do.
3.  you can say that about any college anywhere
4.  Chapel Hill is an amazing college town where kids from the city would love to go for a few years.  Kids play in MSG in HIGH school now, it doesn't have the same allure, and the Knicks suck.  Other schools play in pro arenas as well.

PMG is totally right - why would a top 20 recruit make a leap of faith in Norm based on nothing to come here?

You know why they don't come here?

1.  Norm runs a boring, ineffective offense.
2.  No players have had success in the NBA since a FRASCHILLA recruit.
3.  We aren't an NCAA caliber team - yet.

All kids care about are 1) the NBA, 2) winning, and 3) playing in a fun offense and showing off their talents.

We haven't done any of that yet.  If this class of 9 juniors can pull it together and Norm can get a clue/improve, then I won't feel the same way and would think it was very possible for Norm to get top talent despite not getting it yet.  But there is NO reason, as of now, for a top 20 recruit to come here over Duke, UNC, Kansas, Georgetown, UCLA, USC, Maryland, Georgia Tech, or a whole hoard of other schools who have at least one of those factors that we don't have.  Simple as that.

Plus, they get $$$,Jeeps,no show jobs along with other perks to go to some of those schools. Thats a factor also

pmg911

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »

I don't see the reason to stir up discussion on why recruits shouldn't pick St. John's.

Yeah, you would rather sit there with blinders on, wave your POM POM's  and chant: "Normie Normie he's our man, if he can't do it no one can"

The truth hurts and the truth about St. John's right now is that its an incredibly inferior basketball school with an inferior coaching staff and zero track record of success or producing NBA caliber players.

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »
if you are a high level recruit at this point. . why would you come to St. John's..?

3.  sparse crowds.

1.  No one cares what you personally, the creator of st johns coolest fan website, enjoyed.

4.  Chapel Hill is an amazing college town where kids from the city would love to go for a few years.  Kids play in MSG in HIGH school now, it doesn't have the same allure, and the Knicks suck.  Other schools play in pro arenas as well.

PMG is totally right - why would a top 20 recruit make a leap of faith in Norm based on nothing to come here?

All kids care about are 1) the NBA, 2) winning, and 3) playing in a fun offense and showing off their talents.

We haven't done any of that yet.  If this class of 9 juniors can pull it together and Norm can get a clue/improve, then I won't feel the same way and would think it was very possible for Norm to get top talent despite not getting it yet.  But there is NO reason, as of now, for a top 20 recruit to come here over Duke, UNC, Kansas, Georgetown, UCLA, USC, Maryland, Georgia Tech, or a whole hoard of other schools who have at least one of those factors that we don't have.  Simple as that.

Damn somone has a serious case of the Mondays today.

I do enjoy our team. Do I wish they were better? Hell yea I do but they are definitely a team you can root for and hope they do well. This has nothing to do with pro/anti Norm feelings.

MSG is a special place. Maybe it hasn't been for a while but its like a sleeping giant. Saying this takes nothing away from Chapel Hill or other places to play. Maybe MSG has pimped itself out too much but there is something about NYC magic, bright lights, and millions of people that gets you going.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2009, 02:35:36 PM »

I don't see the reason to stir up discussion on why recruits shouldn't pick St. John's.

Yeah, you would rather sit there with blinders on, wave your POM POM's  and chant: "Normie Normie he's our man, if he can't do it no one can"

The truth hurts and the truth about St. John's right now is that its an incredibly inferior basketball school with an inferior coaching staff and zero track record of success or producing NBA caliber players.

Yup thats what we do here.  ::)

Why you still try to diminish things that go on here are beyond me. Of course some people are going to think differently on things but I know the underlining tone of this site is generally moderate.

Recruits read this site whether you like to believe it or not. I'm not one that wants to volunteer multiple reasons why they shouldn't come here and go elsewhere. I'm not sure what fan of St. John's would want to steer recruits away from here? Do you?

Tha Kid

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2009, 02:40:09 PM »

3.  sparse crowds.

Damn somone has a serious case of the Mondays today.

I do enjoy our team. Do I wish they were better? Hell yea I do but they are definitely a team you can root for and hope they do well. This has nothing to do with pro/anti Norm feelings.

MSG is a special place. Maybe it hasn't been for a while but its like a sleeping giant. Saying this takes nothing away from Chapel Hill or other places to play. Maybe MSG has pimped itself out too much but there is something about NYC magic, bright lights, and millions of people that gets you going.

It's not a case of the Mondays.  Why would a recruit come here?  MSG hasn't been special in NBA or college in nearly a decade.  Honestly a lot of MSG's magic was with boxing and concerts as well.  MSG hasn't had a halfway decent team in forever.  I'm sorry but basketball arenas don't do it for me like baseball stadiums do.  I don't get the same prickly feeling when I walk into Fenway and see the grasss --- hell I hate the Yankees but I even got the feeling there (at the old staidum) that it was a hollowed place where magic happened.  Perhaps it's because it's just dormant, but I just don't get that feeling at MSG --- and if I don't, you better believe these 15-18 year olds don't,.
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »

Yup thats what we do here.  ::)

Why you still try to diminish things that go on here are beyond me. Of course some people are going to think differently on things but I know the underlining tone of this site is generally moderate.

Recruits read this site whether you like to believe it or not. I'm not one that wants to volunteer multiple reasons why they shouldn't come here and go elsewhere. I'm not sure what fan of St. John's would want to steer recruits away from here? Do you?

Recruits have a billion people in their ear.  Trust me.  They are not reading what I am writing for the first time if they do indeed read their site.

They know very well that Norm has produced 0 NBA players so far, St. John's hasn't won - yet - and our offense sucks.
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »

There's truth... and then there's your imagination: "Normie Normie he's our man."  Ohhh-kay.  Don't piss all over the points you have to make (and your perspective) with some s$#t that's not true. 

Talk fact. Ditch the name calling and false characterizations.

« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2009, 03:39:10 AM »
and another one bites the dust.

"I think it will be my last game in New York, so I just came out here and played hard for my fans. Everybody in my family was here," said Lamb, a 6-foot-4 Queens, N.Y. native who is entering his senior season at Mouth of Wilson (Va.) Oak Hill Academy.

Lamb listed Kentucky, Kansas, Oklahoma, Marquette, UConn, Pittsburgh and Arizona as potential destinations.

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2009, 02:35:23 AM »
I missed him at the Elite 24, I heard he had a good game but I was at the Nike TOC & i wasn't impressed by him,Russ Smith on the other hand looked really good.I have not seen Russ play in 3 years before todays game
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2009, 03:48:32 PM »
I remember reading here that Smith was a "combo" guard ?
 & boarderline BE player while @ Molloy.
Is he a BE point ?
Molloy '71

« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »
Russ plays like SirValiant Brown from George Washington, Na more like Nate Rob.Far from a pure PG
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:53:10 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/17/doron-lamb-considering-a-few-schools/

St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts had an in-home Wednesday night.
“It all went well. They’re hoping Doron stays home. It will be a good thing for him to stay in the city,” Calvin said.

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2010, 05:58:35 PM »
Is this the kid Norm told would be a backup to Boothe?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

boo3

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2010, 06:00:15 PM »
Is this the kid Norm told would be a backup to Boothe?

I assumed that story was referring to Lance. 

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2010, 06:13:04 PM »
"There is a story told of the time this season that Roberts met with a McDonald’s all-American from New York about attending St. John’s. Roberts told the recruit that he would play behind the incumbent, and the recruit’s mother, who was in the meeting, hit the ceiling."

Says this season...my guess is Lamb.  I think he's the only McD PG we recruited.

mkras99

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »
"There is a story told of the time this season that Roberts met with a McDonald’s all-American from New York about attending St. John’s. Roberts told the recruit that he would play behind the incumbent, and the recruit’s mother, who was in the meeting, hit the ceiling."

Says this season...my guess is Lamb.  I think he's the only McD PG we recruited.

It's Pinkston.

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »

It's Pinkston.
That's right...I forgot he was a McDAA and for some reason I thought they mentioned it was a PG.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »
bump.

I'd hate to leave some of our guards deep on the bench, but a scorer like Lamb, with a playmaker like Kennedy?  Oh, I can dream...

« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2010, 11:48:18 AM »
Can anyone pull up this insider article.  Talks about Hewitt having the "mojo" to pull in Doron Lamb.

ESPN Insider
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:54:48 AM by Dave »