Loudmouths on SNY reports that Mark Jackson wants to coach for st. Johns
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:26:50 PM by icewater10 »

Re: Mark Jackson
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
he can be an assistant

kob24

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
i dont know he never coached before. u cant just say hey i want to coach. thats crazy. at least mullin nows how to run a team mark never has. yall may laugh but give both norm and mark the same team and i think norm beats him by 40

Poison

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:25:55 PM »
On Loudmouths on SNY they said Mark Jackson wants to coach for st. Johns

We have a sleeper coach, at a sleeper program with a roaster of 11 sleeper players.

Moving forward, I suggest no more sleepers. Jackson had a great feel for the game at all levels.
He was a legend when he was here, and I think he'd make a great addition to a staff as an assistant.

As a head coach, he'd be a sleeper, and I think we're tired of "high upside" cheap decisions.

boo3

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:28:35 PM »
 2 words-  Clyde Drexler...

McCaffery
  Willard
  Pecora
  In that order, just get it done. Lets move on from the lost decade.  2 more games!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:30:15 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »
Jackson had a great feel for the game at all levels.
He was a legend when he was here, and I think he'd make a great addition to a staff as an assistant.

I would take him as coach in a second over Norm. The man played in the pro's for years with awesome coaches and played the PG as the team leader. He would know what to look for in a quality PG and hopefully he could sign them and tell them he knew what it takes to get to the next level.

He could also explain first hand what it is like to have SJU great in the Big East as he was part of it!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:31:18 PM by Acrimony »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »
I would take Norm over him.  I am not joking.  Mark Jackson would be the damned worst idea ever.  And look, no offense to Louie, but Louie wasn't Dean Smith or John Wooden; and I wouldn't wish Matt Doherty or Buzz Peterson on this team eaither.  And they had more coaching experience before their flameouts.

No.

No.

No.

And no.

KOB's got it right.

He can be an assistant.  Or an NBA head coach - different game, one he has many more years of experience with. 

And no Mullin, either. He was a GM of a Warriors team that made decent moves, made some awful moves, and he didn't coach the team.  It hasn't worked well.  We need a guy with experience.  I hope they know how to evaluate their up and comer coach candidates.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »
I would take Norm over him.  I am not joking.  Mark Jackson would be the damned worst idea ever.  And look, no offense to Louie, but Louie wasn't Dean Smith or John Wooden; and I wouldn't wish Matt Doherty or Buzz Peterson on this team eaither.  And they had more coaching experience before their flameouts.

No.

No.

No.

And no.

KOB's got it right.

He can be an assistant.  Or an NBA head coach - different game, one he has many more years of experience with. 

And no Mullin, either. He was a GM of a Warriors team that made decent moves, made some awful moves, and he didn't coach the team.  It hasn't worked well.  We need a guy with experience.  I hope they know how to evaluate their up and comer coach candidates.

Come on Peter, you wouldn't take Norm over him.
How could anyone do worse than Norm over a 6 year period?

At least we know Jackson is respected, and we know he's a name.

kob24

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 07:01:05 PM »
jackson would destroy his legacy if he coached here.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »

Come on Peter, you wouldn't take Norm over him.
How could anyone do worse than Norm over a 6 year period?

At least we know Jackson is respected, and we know he's a name.
True, not sure that anyone could do worse than Norm - and perhaps Mark could hire a fantastic staff to aid him. 

But here's what I am thinking, why I say I'd take Norm over him (and I'll reduce that to "might":

But head coaching on the college level is a hard job, with a lot of facets.  And the city recruiting and St. John's stature have both changed a LOT since Mark was in Queens.

But is Mark Jackson a name?  He's a name in terms of being an NBA announcer, but he has no track record of training kids for the pros, he has no record of being real tight with trusted AAU guys... he's a name because he's on TV.  It's not like Michael Jordan's name.  Or even Clyde Drexler's or Patrick Ewing's or Isiah Thomas' names.

I suppose when I think about it, Sidney Lowe's ok - 16 and 14 seasons, true mediocrity. Wait, that's what we have now.  Imagine one of the heroes of St. John's being reduced to a mediocrity, the message boards calling for his head?  That's an ugly scene, and we don't need to go there.

Also: the problem with Norm isn't that his coaching record is running up to 100 wins.  Everyone expected the team to lose for one, maybe 2 years.  The problem is that it's hard to see how this isn't his ceiling.  Which is like Sidney Lowe's regular season.  Which I'm imagining as Mark Jackson's season - and his could possibly be worse!

I feel like Mark Jackson is change for change's sake.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
Dammit, I shouldn't have typed so much (above). That's part of what I meant to say!

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »

hiring jackson is not the right move. let him be an assistant.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 07:50:07 PM »

you guys have a point. but i am just so ready to move on!

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 07:53:15 PM »

you guys have a point. but i am just so ready to move on!

Next coach will be a former ACC guy or Maac coach

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 08:06:13 PM »
I fear that if Jackson got involved, so would Louie, and sentimentality would bring him in... not credentials and an analysis of his ability to grow.

TONYD3

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »
Mark  Jackson would not be a guaranteed success but he wouldn't be a guaranteed failure either like the Norm years have been. Jackson was a great player from the Catholic League, a great player at SJU, and a very good NBA player. If he surrounded himself with an experienced staff- a George Blaney type from UCONN. I think it would work. i think players would want to come and play for him. Atleast it would create a a buzz around the team.  Next year couldnt be any worse.

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 08:39:26 PM »
Yes he is not experienced as a coach but he will make st johns relevant again and we'll be the talk of New York and he will bring in the top recruits just cause his name....Will he be able to bring in a top assistant?

The good news is Norm is gone!!!

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 09:02:03 PM »
If Jackson for some reason does get the job and fails, it would put a tremendous strain on his legacy and relationship with the administration,school and fans. This happenned recently at IONA with the best player to ever play at the school, Jeff Ruland. Things ended bad and they parted not on good terms

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 09:10:12 PM »

McCaffery
  Willard
  Pecora
  In that order, just get it done. Lets move on from the lost decade.  2 more games!!

I can't say he'll be Clyde Drexler Part II, but I know where you're coming from, boo.

Quite frankly, I want no part of Jackson unless he wants to be an assistant.  The St. John's men's basketball program is at a serious crossroads at the moment.  One more bad hire and that could be the death knell for the program.

So, no to Jackson.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:10:40 PM by mjdinkins »

Tha Kid

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 09:10:36 PM »
If Jackson for some reason does get the job and fails, it would put a tremendous strain on his legacy and relationship with the administration,school and fans. This happenned recently at IONA with the best player to ever play at the school, Jeff Ruland. Things ended bad and they parted not on good terms

I saw Ruland at my brother's high school game a month ago.
"I drink and I know things"