Mark Jackson

• 56 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Mark Jackson
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 12:18:20 PM »
Mark jackson MAY or MAY NOT be a great coach.  But he should either do it at a low/mid major (Fordham should jump at someone like him, might strike gold) OR he should start as an assistant at St. John's or a similar school in a big conference.  He can't go straight to BE head coach.  No way.
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 12:20:30 PM »
Dont think some y'all know the mindset of a teenage baller. Man, they livin in the present mo than ever. The past is yesterday. History is sometin that happen back when they was 12.  Kobe is ancient. LeBron is old, played out. John Wall is it.

Most of these ballers wudn't even born when Mark was in his prime. They may have a lil recollection of when he was the chubby brother on the Jazz, but thats it. And they dont get up just cause they is an announcer. (Ever watch an NBA game wit a bunch of teenage ballers? I can assure y'all they aint listenin to the announcers).

I love Jax. Best passer I ever seen. One of the best brothers I ever met.

But if y'all think he come in and the McD's AA start lining up just cause of the name, y'all is in for disappointment.

Who would get their attention? More to the point, who's going to coach SJ that's going to get their attention? If they're not impressed by Kobe what are they going to think about Jim Baron?

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »
havent you heard of players like lance stephenson or others say this coach could get me to the next level...mark jackson played on that next level...he has a clue of what to do
Mark Jackson has never gotten a player to the next level.  Experience does not equal ability to teach.

i played basketball all the way through high school..as a point guard...if i was D-1 good and mark jackson recruited me..i would jump on that...NYC point guard...point guard for winning NBA teams...situation is full of opportunities..thats just me

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 12:31:59 PM »
Dont think some y'all know the mindset of a teenage baller. Man, they livin in the present mo than ever. The past is yesterday. History is sometin that happen back when they was 12.  Kobe is ancient. LeBron is old, played out. John Wall is it.

Most of these ballers wudn't even born when Mark was in his prime. They may have a lil recollection of when he was the chubby brother on the Jazz, but thats it. And they dont get up just cause they is an announcer. (Ever watch an NBA game wit a bunch of teenage ballers? I can assure y'all they aint listenin to the announcers).

But if y'all think he come in and the McD's AA start lining up just cause of the name, y'all is in for disappointment.
i'm not saying mcd aa's will start lining up.  he still has to sell the school and himself.

i believe the kids won't say to their parents "tell him i'm not home" when mark calls the way they do for norm.  and their parents will be impressed with jax.  that also counts for something.

not everyone wants to work for a jerk like FH.  at least jackson is willing.

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
I don't even like Mark Jackson's commentary. He doesn't sound too bright.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 12:54:38 PM »

i'm not saying mcd aa's will start lining up.  he still has to sell the school and himself.

i believe the kids won't say to their parents "tell him i'm not home" when mark calls the way they do for norm.  and their parents will be impressed with jax.  that also counts for something.

not everyone wants to work for a jerk like FH.  at least jackson is willing.

Parents?

Most of these brothers is comin from a one-parent home. And truth be told, moms dont know Mark Jackson from Michael Jackson.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 12:57:59 PM »

Who would get their attention? More to the point, who's going to coach SJ that's going to get their attention? If they're not impressed by Kobe what are they going to think about Jim Baron?

Whoever has the hot program at the time. The coach that is puttin kids into the league.

It's all bout flavor of the month, the hoopla, the hype. So much of it is public relations.

Hard thing is gettin a coach who can get a program to that point.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
I don't even like Mark Jackson's commentary. He doesn't sound too bright.

Is my favorite color commentator.And if he struggles he could just borrow Norm's excuse making handbook. 

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 01:12:47 PM »
This Willard talk is ABSURD.  Iona has always been an easy place to recruit to and win relative to the other MAAC schools.  Ruland was morbidly obese and disgusting to even look at yet he seemed to be in the MAAC championship game every few years and almost always had a decent team.  Jimmy V did well there before him.

Willard might be the guy down the road, but get real.  We are in a tougher spot right now than when we hired Norm six year ago IMO.  We are not a year removed from the NCAA's and a few years removed from an Elite 8.  We are on the cusp of becoming FOREVER irrelevant! 

I see it in two tiers.  Either Repole and the big spenders attaching their names to this process won't settle for a second rate product and get a Billy Donovan or a Rick Pitino....or we grab Fran McAffrey on the "second tier."  That is it.  If we don't have the $ to pay Billy or Rick and we do not make Fran McAffrey our #1 priority, we are just foolish.

The guy has coached three f'ing teams to the NCAA's within two years of being hired there with less wins than STJ has had this year or last.  THREE!

He coached ten years in the Big East to boot.
He has recruited well in NY and is a NE/Philly guy--so we could be competitive there as well--he employs a system that top NYC kids would absolutely love to play in, he has developed NBA talent from kids that weren't even in the top 200 (Hasbrouck and the SF this year), he has WON in the NCAA tournament twice, and he has dominated his conference play against like opponents. 

If no Billy Donovan or Rick Pitino, this HAS to be our man.  Look no further.  We screw this up and we are A-10--and honestly I don't even think we'd be a great A-10 team.

Tha Kid

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 01:17:21 PM »
This Willard talk is ABSURD.  Iona has always been an easy place to recruit to and win relative to the other MAAC schools.  Ruland was morbidly obese and disgusting to even look at yet he seemed to be in the MAAC championship game every few years and almost always had a decent team.  Jimmy V did well there before him.

Willard might be the guy down the road, but get real.  We are in a tougher spot right now than when we hired Norm six year ago IMO.  We are not a year removed from the NCAA's and a few years removed from an Elite 8.  We are on the cusp of becoming FOREVER irrelevant! 

I see it in two tiers.  Either Repole and the big spenders attaching their names to this process won't settle for a second rate product and get a Billy Donovan or a Rick Pitino....or we grab Fran McAffrey on the "second tier."  That is it.  If we don't have the $ to pay Billy or Rick and we do not make Fran McAffrey our #1 priority, we are just foolish.

The guy has coached three f'ing teams to the NCAA's within two years of being hired there with less wins than STJ has had this year or last.  THREE!

He has recruited well in NY and is a NE/Philly guy--so we could be competitive there as well--he employs a system that top NYC kids would absolutely love to play in, he has developed NBA talent from kids that weren't even in the top 200 (Hasbrouck and the SF this year), he has WON in the NCAA tournament twice, and he has dominated his conference play against like opponents. 

If no Billy Donovan or Rick Pitino, this HAS to be our man.  Look no further.  We screw this up and we are A-10--and honestly I don't even think we'd be a great A-10 team.

Marillac,

Why in God's name would Billy Donovan come here even if we topped his salary at Florida?  Get real.  We would never take Pitino bc of the scandal.  Give it up.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 01:18:47 PM »
Oh yeah, and Fran McAffrey could bring Rossiter with him  to sit out a year and be a senior after the exodus.  Rossiter is one of the most skilled big man in the country and could bring three NCAA tournament runs and more experience than any STJ player has had in a decade. 

I also 100% believe Fran's system would be amazing with this current roster.  They'd learn more in two weeks of drills with Fran than they'd learned in three years with Norm.  He'd instill some infrastructure into the fast break and secondary breaks.  He worked with a PG (Moore) who cannot shoot a lick.  DJ would almost be guaranteed to be an early to mid second round pick, and Justin would be close to if not All-Conference, as Fran would undoubtedly use him like he has done with Franklin. 

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 01:22:49 PM »

Marillac,

Why in God's name would Billy Donovan come here even if we topped his salary at Florida?  Get real.  We would never take Pitino bc of the scandal.  Give it up.

I kind of agree with you, Tha Kid.  People have been floating Donovan's name around saying that he has interest.  I personally don't think he does, but, man, I'd love it if he did. 

He's done all he can do at Florida.  It's really not a great location--Gainesville is ghetto and not on the beach--his dad was on the STJ board of trustees, and he grew up in NY. Maybe that would be enough?  I can't answer that.

As for Pitino, he denies that he offered money for the abortion.  The woman has lied about every other fact, why take her word over his.  He is adament about that.  I think he has genuine interest.  I think the money could be right if the committee rumor is true.  I just don't think that STJ has the balls to make the hire, and it is messed up.  The guy made a mistake. 

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 01:25:25 PM »
Just got back from a week trip to South Africa & Botswana. I spent 10 days in the bush with no access to email.

I would love to see Mark at St John's as the Head Coach.

He was always considered a coach on the floor when he was playing.

Hire some good assistants and we can turn this around.

I actually think he could win with Norms players.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:26:09 PM by Red2395 »

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 02:19:28 PM »
Oh yeah, and Fran McAffrey could bring Rossiter with him  to sit out a year and be a senior after the exodus.  Rossiter is one of the most skilled big man in the country and could bring three NCAA tournament runs and more experience than any STJ player has had in a decade. 

I also 100% believe Fran's system would be amazing with this current roster.  They'd learn more in two weeks of drills with Fran than they'd learned in three years with Norm.  He'd instill some infrastructure into the fast break and secondary breaks.  He worked with a PG (Moore) who cannot shoot a lick.  DJ would almost be guaranteed to be an early to mid second round pick, and Justin would be close to if not All-Conference, as Fran would undoubtedly use him like he has done with Franklin.

this is what i wrote on redmen.com...
fran mccaffery....100 percent graduation rate of athletes he's recruited in a 25 year coaching career. (hear that FH??) first coach ever to take three different programs from "one bid" leagues to the big dance. at unc greensboro he led team to its first 20 win season since joining its conference. at lehigh, which has had four winning seasons in its history....mccaffery led it to a 21 win season and the ncaa tournament. the 21 wins is lehigh's best ever. worked under digger phelps and john mccloud at notre dame where he recruited (know we've heard this before) pat garrity, troy murphy, laphonso ellis, monty williams and ryan humphrey...all number one NBA picks. the siena record speaks for itself. i'd be happy with this guy.

my point on jackson...he's a proven winner.  he had something like an 18 year nba career.  he knows how to get to the show.  that's a big recruiting plus.  he would win here.  i know it because he's a winner.  just like i KNEW from the beginning norm would fail.  past performance is the best indicator of how one will do in the future.
to think he'd take an assistant's job is ludacris.

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 02:30:02 PM »

this is what i wrote on redmen.com...
fran mccaffery....100 percent graduation rate of athletes he's recruited in a 25 year coaching career. (hear that FH??) first coach ever to take three different programs from "one bid" leagues to the big dance. at unc greensboro he led team to its first 20 win season since joining its conference. at lehigh, which has had four winning seasons in its history....mccaffery led it to a 21 win season and the ncaa tournament. the 21 wins is lehigh's best ever. worked under digger phelps and john mccloud at notre dame where he recruited (know we've heard this before) pat garrity, troy murphy, laphonso ellis, monty williams and ryan humphrey...all number one NBA picks. the siena record speaks for itself. i'd be happy with this guy.

my point on jackson...he's a proven winner.  he had something like an 18 year nba career.  he knows how to get to the show.  that's a big recruiting plus.  he would win here.  i know it because he's a winner.  just like i KNEW from the beginning norm would fail.  past performance is the best indicator of how one will do in the future.
to think he'd take an assistant's job is ludacris.

I think we are in complete agreement.  I love Mark.  He is a winner.  I was accepting of Norm until I saw his mark at Queens College...that was a dark day.  Some guys are succesful at everything thing they do.  Some, like Norm, aren't.

Mark will be a successful coach, but I think he still needs to learn and polish up.  He hasn't seen a true zone defense in twenty years.  He hasn't ever recruited.  This is not the time to add a coach with no experience. 

I think Mark would have been a great addition six years ago.  If Mark had even a year or two of experience coaching in college, I'd add him in a second. 

Fran has to be our man if we don't spend for Rick or Billy. 

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »
yall may laugh but give both norm and mark the same team and i think norm beats him by 40

But that means Mark's team would have to score negative 7 points to lose by 40 to Norm

xhoops

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2010, 05:31:44 PM »
Loudmouths on SNY reports that Mark Jackson wants to coach for st. Johns
GROWN MAN MOVE !