recap of his game against Christ of King

All of this can be found on Johnny Jungle's new Recruiting page

www.johnnyjungle.com/Recruiting
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:04:15 AM by peter »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

Re: Jayvaughn Pinkston
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »
Big strong player. . very talented but I would be TOTALLY SHOCKED if he is actually a 2010 recruit...    he struggles with grades and is already a candidate to get out of the city to a prep school...

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:51:53 PM »
he doesn't have much interest from around the country but is supposed to be a top5-10 player in his class? I'm not sold

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »
He was over-hyped early.  Doron Lamb is much better at this point IMO
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 02:07:51 PM »
he needs to grow too

Re: Jayvaughn Pinkston - PF - Bishop Loughlin - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:52:22 PM »

he doesn't have much interest from around the country but is supposed to be a top5-10 player in his class? I'm not sold
**Jayvaughn Pinkston, a 6-5 combo forward from Bishop Loughlin, scored a team-high 12 points to lead Finish to a 75-66 in the Underclassmen All-Star Game, but somehow his teammate Ashton Pankey was name Co-MVP. Go figure. Pinkston said he likes Florida, USC, Memphis and Louisville.

“I want to go away for school,” he said. That may rule out the locals, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Rutgers.

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/07/10/jennings-appears-at-reebok-sidneys-list/#more-335

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 05:42:20 PM »
Pinkston Is Racking Up Attention

August 14, 2008

by Brian Snow, Musketeerscoop.com

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=837754

In the 2010 class one of the top players on the east coast is Jayvaughn Pinkston. The New York City product recently completed a great summer, one that he closed out very strong in Las Vegas. Now Pinkston is garnering significant interest from schools around the country, and is taking everything in stride.

For the New Heights 16 and under team the summer was a good one. New Heights coach Kimani Young has served as not only a coach but also a mentor to Pinkston. Like everyone who saw Pinkston in July, Young came away impressed.

"Right now he's just a basketball player. It's tough when at such an early age people try to position pigeon hole him. He is just someone who is going to do whatever it takes to win. He is showing the ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the basket. Also he is shooting it well out to about 15 feet. The sky is really the limit for him if he can move his range out a little bit more."

When it comes to Pinkston's recruitment, Young said things are going well. "Right now I would say St. John's and Villanova have done the best job up until this point. Also he has heard from Rutgers, South Carolina, Xavier, Marquette, Seton Hall, Florida is showing some interest, and really just a host of schools."

In terms of the local school, St. John's head man Norm Roberts has made it known that Pinkston is a priority. "Coach Roberts has done a great job showing interest from very early on, and that is what it is about. He has been visible and shown our guys that he is trying to rebound that program on the back of city talent."

One thing that could potentially impact Pinkston's recruitment is Young's employer. According to Young he has been offered a position by St. John's and is considering accepting it.

"St. John's has offered me a position on their staff," Young explained. "I haven't decided if I am going to take it yet. If I do decide to accept it will change the dynamic of my relationship with my guys, so we will just have to see what happens."

NOTE : There are published reports that Young has decided to accept the position at St. John's. This interview took place before any potential agreement between Young and St. John's took place.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 06:16:07 PM »
The big questions with him are:
How tall will he grow to?
Depending on that answer, which position will he play (3/4) in college?

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
Sounds very promising to me!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 06:19:44 PM »
Good job by Norm now just finish the deal

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
Some video of Pinkston from HSSMTV :

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1225901524

p.s. - there is also video of Lamb, Pankey & Southwell on there as well.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »
Some video of Pinkston from HSSMTV :

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1225901524

p.s. - there is also video of Lamb, Pankey & Southwell on there as well.

Just post the direct link to the video....

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1213841293&channel=416418754

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 10:34:44 PM »
not going to lie, this is the first time i've seen pinkston but for some reason i had it in my head that he was strictly a PF back to the basket type player. maybe just a memory of hearing about him as a 6'5 freshman PF and just assumed he'd grow. following (meaning reading) about his progress and not seeing his height ever shoot up made me sour on him a bit (i know, very superficial). but i must say watching the video, he has some small forward type skills. more agile than i thought and had a few nice passes on that tape. maybe kimani can help us land this guy. he reminds me a LITTLE bit of a slightly less athletic (when healthy) rob thomas. then again, all this is from a 2 minute highlight tape...anyone else's thoughts on jayvaughn who's seen him play? kob/choz/jpm etc??

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 02:10:05 AM »
not going to lie, this is the first time i've seen pinkston but for some reason i had it in my head that he was strictly a PF back to the basket type player. maybe just a memory of hearing about him as a 6'5 freshman PF and just assumed he'd grow. following (meaning reading) about his progress and not seeing his height ever shoot up made me sour on him a bit (i know, very superficial). but i must say watching the video, he has some small forward type skills. more agile than i thought and had a few nice passes on that tape. maybe kimani can help us land this guy. he reminds me a LITTLE bit of a slightly less athletic (when healthy) rob thomas. then again, all this is from a 2 minute highlight tape...anyone else's thoughts on jayvaughn who's seen him play? kob/choz/jpm etc??

One of the main reasons that Pinkston hasn't kept his spots on the national rankings since his freshman year is that he hasn't grown like most expected him to grow.  He has adjusted his game though of late and is becoming a pretty good face-up player.  He does still have some work to do conditioning wise.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

pmg911

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 12:56:19 PM »

One of the main reasons that Pinkston hasn't kept his spots on the national rankings since his freshman year is that he hasn't grown like most expected him to grow.  He has adjusted his game though of late and is becoming a pretty good face-up player.  He does still have some work to do conditioning wise.
I have been watching and coaching against this young man since he in the 7th grade...

There is no way he can play the #3 in the Big East at this point....

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 01:21:37 PM »

I have been watching and coaching against this young man since he in the 7th grade...

Maybe he can play PG

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »
Only gonna be a JR. Plenty of time to develop his game. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 08:36:17 PM »

Maybe he can play PG

;D

One more time... that is the FUNNIEST friggin' picture of all-time marco.. :D .. peace!

p.s. - wankees suck!!.. :P .. peace!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:40:24 PM by oldred10 »

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »
Freed from paint, Loughlin's Jayvaughn Pinkston looks good at Reebok

BY EBENEZER SAMUEL

Tuesday, July 15th 2008

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2008/07/15/2008-07-15_freed_from_paint_loughlins_jayvaughn_pin.html

PHILADELPHIA - As Jayvaughn Pinkston dribbled upcourt, one defender after another tried to harass him into a turnover.

But Pinkston had other ideas. He spun past one man, used an ankle-breaking crossover to beat the next. Suddenly, he was slithering into the paint and passing to a teammate for a layup.

The sequence would have made just about any point guard's highlight reel. Except Jayvaughn Pinkston isn't exactly a point guard.

The wide-bodied 6-6 forward from Brooklyn actually doesn't have a position, which made him one of the more enigmatic talents at the Reebok All-American Camp in Philadelphia last week.

"He's a good player, really talented," one Big East assistant said. "But where is he gonna play?"

It's a question that's been begging for an answer since this past winter. Pinkston, then a sophomore, started for Bishop Loughlin at power forward, using his considerable heft to clear space in the lane.

"I was frustrated with the coach (Khalid Green)," he said. "It seemed like he really wasn't going to let me play."

While teammate Doron Lamb blossomed into an all-CHSAA first-team guard, Pinkston's game was shackled. He barely averaged double-figures in points, often looking clumsy while learning the nuances of play in the lane.

But the broad-shouldered kid from Brownsville didn't complain. He says he didn't want to "make things personal," and he couldn't argue with the Lions' performance: they advanced to the CHSAA city championship semifinals.

"We did good," Pinkston said. "Truth is, wherever (a team) needs me to play, I'll play."

The college game isn't as simple. College coaches often want to pigeonhole players, envisioning them in specific roles. So-called "tweeners" like Pinkston often get lost in the shuffle.

Green says that was never his intent. The Loughlin coach says he played Pinkston in the paint to "develop" him.

"We think Jayvaughn is incredibly talented," Green said. "But we felt the best way to develop him was to start him in the post, make him work hard."

The experiment may have caused frustration, but its fruits were apparent last week, when Pinkston impressed his fair share of scouts.

Reebok's All-American Camp, launched as "RBK U" last year, replaced the famed ABCD Camp in New Jersey as the shoe company's flagship summer showcase, a weeklong series of drills and scrimmages that allowed top high school prospects to develop fundamentals while displaying their abilities in front of a who's who of college coaches.

ABCD attracted an illustrious list of prospects that included LeBron James and recent NBA draft pick O.J. Mayo, and this year's class showcased similar talent

This year, prominently ranked players included Abdul Gaddy, an explosive guard from Washington, and Renardo Sidney, a 6-9 big man from L.A. (Calif.) Fairfax who commanded his own press conference on Wednesday.

Pinkston came here with less fanfare, but walked out with a trail of buzz. He's shed about 10 pounds since the high school season, dropping to 225 while adding quickness to complement the post-up skills he gained during his time in the paint.

That inside-outside blend yielded results all week. Pinkston made the camp's underclassmen all-star game, and recruiting analyst Tom Konchalski likened his game and build to those of former NBA player Jamal Mashburn, a graduate of Cardinal Hayes in the Bronx.

Gaddy, a top guard in the Class of 2009, ended the week believing that his teammate on Team Jason Terry had found a position.

"He's a great player," Gaddy said. "I think he's a wing forward - not a power guy."

But scouts remain divided.

"I love him," said one Atlantic 10 assistant. "He can do a little bit of everything."

Konchalski still has his reservations: "He probably has the offensive game of a (small forward), but I don't know if he has the quickness to defend that position".

Not that Pinkston is worried. He says he still needs to work on his ball-handling and shooting. He'll play the remainder of the summer with his New Heights AAU team, trying to debunk any remaining skeptics. Then, he says he'll return to Loughlin despite his frustrations with the offense.

"I played pretty well here," Pinkston said. "But I can play better."

Randomhero423

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »
very interested in seeing him next year.  now with lamb, johnson and phillip gone he's going to have a much bigger role.