Jayvaughn Pinkston - PF - Bishop Loughlin - Brooklyn, NY - VILLANOVA

• 284 replies
Re: Jayvaughn Pinkston - PF - Bishop Loughlin - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »
Just saw that article myself.  Great news!  Norm's gotta land him now.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

gonzalo

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2009, 03:10:36 AM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/06/14/rumble-in-the-bronx-day-two-part-ii/

Another from New Heights with a lot of Big East interest is powerful forward Jayvaughn Pinkston of Bishop Loughlin. According to New Heights’ AAU coach Kimani Young, who was the video coordinator at St. John’s this past season, Pinkston “is the guy in New York” right now. He recently visited Marquette for one of their elite specialty camps and will take unofficial trips, most likely, to Villanova and Arizona. St. John’s, who is considered the leader, and Tennessee were also mentioned by Young as the schools on Pinkston’s list.

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2009, 04:56:47 PM »
http://nychoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=956816

On the recruiting front, Pinkston has an assortment of schools recruiting him heavily. "I'd put St. John's in the lead because they've been after him the longest but there's also Villanova, Marquette, Arizona, Florida, Tennessee, Rutgers and Seton Hall," said Young.

Pinkston will be taking visits said Young. "He's taking unofficial's to Arizona, Villanova and Marquette before the summer is over."

sjd8886

« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:38 PM »
after lance, im not getting excited about anyone showing interest...sign a LOI, then ill talk about you all day long

gonzalo

« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »
http://www.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090706&content_id=5723624&oid=2&vkey=21

The best player in New York City in the post-Stephenson era is Jayvaughn Pinkston, a 6-6, 235-pound forward who opted to remain at Brooklyn Bishop Loughlin instead of transferring to Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson (Va.).

Pinkston, ranked No. 85 by Rivals, will attend summer school and won't be at any of the big sneaker camps, but he is being courted by Tennessee, Marquette, Arizona, St. John's, Villanova, Rutgers and Seton Hall. Young has said that St. John's may be the favorite for Pinkston.

"I think he's gonna take his time with his recruitment," Young said. "Right now he's trying to concentrate on improving as a player and as a student."

gonzalo

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2009, 02:03:54 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/07/08/konchalski-talks-ny-nj-class-of-2010-pinkston-now-the-top-player-in-the-big-apple/

Now that Lance Stephenson is off to college at Cincinnati, the top high school player in New York City in the Class of 2010 is Bishop Loughlin forward Jayvaughn Pinkston.

But the 6-foot-6, 250-pound Pinkston very nearly left the Big Apple to play for Oak Hill (Va.) Academy, a national powerhouse that features former Loughlin guard Doron Lamb.

“There was some thought of him transferring, but we feel confident after meeting with the coaching staff [led by first-year coach Ed Gonzalez] and the guidance counselors that Loughlin is the best place for him right now,” said Kimani Young, the athletic director of the New Heights AAU program and an advisor to Pinkston.

A powerful force down low, Pinkston is ranked No. 85 in the Class of 2010 by Rivals.com.

“He’s a Jamal Mashburn clone,” recruiting expert Tom Konchalski told SNY.tv. “He has the body of blacksmith, the touch of a surgeon.  He has very soft hands. He has very good skill with the ball. He can handle the ball on the perimeter, he’s not going to guard a perimeter player right now. He can pass the ball, can get to the basket, he can shoot threes. He has a strong body where he can post and score inside. He’s a really skilled player who has a mature understanding of the game. He’s got to learn to bring it every single night, which hasn’t always been the case in the past.

“He’s as good as we have in the metropolitan area.”

Pinkston hopes to lead Loughlin to a city title now that Stephenson is out of the picture. Stephenson led Brooklyn Lincoln to four straight PSAL championships.

“If we work hard enough, the team could be good if we work hard enough and I play to my potential,” Pinkston said.

While many of his friends are playing this week at the Reebok All-American Camp and the LeBron James Skills Academy, Pinkston is in summer school at Loughlin.

“Yes, it is [hard],” Pinkston said. “I was looking forward to coming out and playing against some of the top players in my class.

“I’m trying to become a better student-athlete so that’s why I decided to go to summer school.”

Pinkston will compete in several events in July, including an event in Springfield, Mass., this weekend; the adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas; and the Summer in the City AAU event July 28-31 St. John’s. (That event is still looking for teams if coaches are interested).

As far as colleges, Pinkston has been hearing from St. John’s, Marquette, Villanova, UConn, Arizona, Miami, Tennessee, Rutgers and Seton Hall.

Young has previously said that St. John’s was the leader for Pinkston, but now Young is no longer on the staff there and that could change.

“On the St. John’s thing, when I was there we had a strong connection and relationship,” Young said. “The coaching staff has done a great job recruiting him but at the end of the does Jay wants to see what opportunities are going to be out there for him.”

Whatever happens, Pinkston says he’ll wait until the late signing period next April to sign.

“Yes,” he said, “I just to wait out my options.”

« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2009, 09:19:22 AM »
Wit full respct to Jay and Tom K, dont think any comparison to Mash should be taken.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2009, 10:14:24 AM »
Whatever happens, Pinkston says he’ll wait until the late signing period next April to sign.

:-\
Oh boy. Does the staff want to wait a year, miss out of this guy, and sign someone that they like less?  Maybe they should just sign Kadeem Jack (if he's interested and they are interested) and be done with it. And maybe they can ask Kadeem to go to prep school if JayVaughn is interested.

« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2009, 11:39:41 AM »
Wit full respct to Jay and Tom K, dont think any comparison to Mash should be taken.

I thought that was an interesting comparison. It raised my brow when I read it especially when I compared him to Rodney Rogers.  ;D
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2009, 04:14:52 PM »
Let's learn from the Truck Bryant, Doobie and countless other mistakes this university has made on the recruiting front...if a kid with a decent pulse says he wants to come...sign him. Lets not save schollies for people, Landesburg, Lance, etc, who play us like cheap fiddles.

Poison

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »

If they're saying he's tough, and he's a Jamal Mashburn clone, I'm very confused.
Mashburn was a jump shooter. Like Chris Mullin.

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2009, 04:01:24 PM »
he reminds me of artest without the defensive intensity

LJSA

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »

If they're saying he's tough, and he's a Jamal Mashburn clone, I'm very confused.
Mashburn was a jump shooter. Like Chris Mullin.

Mash was nasty in high school. And I doubt Pinkston is nearly as versatile.

Marillac

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2009, 06:43:22 PM »
Pinkston to Mash is a horrible comparison.  Mash was every bit of a SF and Pinkston can't even keep up with high school wings.  I'd be happier with a Charles Barkley reference. 

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2009, 01:23:59 AM »

I thought that was an interesting comparison. It raised my brow when I read it especially when I compared him to Rodney Rogers.  ;D

I would go with Rogers as well
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2009, 01:10:53 PM »
I can't really comment on how Jayvaughn's versatility in HS compares to Mashburn's but he is definitely versatile. I was very impressed with him and I'm not quick to toss out compliments to every player I see. There were definitely things he needed to work on but I saw potential that he could do them. I also looked at him being more of a wing than I did see him inside however I thought he could be very effective playing both ways which was even more intriguing.

When I was watching him play I was thinking wow if this guy developed more of a jump shot he'd be whoa damn good. He had solid range but you could see a drop off in efficiency when he extended beyond the FT line. He got the ball a lot off the high pick and roll and then they would isolate for him to either drive or shoot. When I saw him play the opposing team was very disciplined in trying to make him shoot because they couldn't stop him when he drove the ball. He finished everything in sight with arms hanging on him as he went to the rim and 1.

He was so strong that I think he could play inside but I think he'd be unstoppable if he really developed his midrange game extending to the 3 point line. He put the ball up nicely but you could see he is more comfortable around the basket at this point but he has the potential to do more.

A more recent comparison I would draw is Charron Fisher who went to Niagara. I think Jayvaughn has more skill but could be a similar player in terms body frame use of strength inside/out. I do think Jayvaugn will be more of an efficient player than Charron though.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2009, 03:28:13 PM »
http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090728&content_id=6105656&oid=temp&vkey=45

"On the St. John's thing, when I was there we had a strong connection and relationship," Young said. "The coaching staff has done a great job recruiting him, but, at the end of the day, Jay wants to see what opportunities are going to be out there for him."

« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2009, 05:28:11 PM »
Yikes I thought we had this kid in the Bag he always came to SJU games last season.But we all heard that comment before, we are not an option that usually means
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"