LAVIN A DONE DEAL!!!!!

• 70 replies

SJU79

Re: LAVIN A DONE DEAL!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »
Few things before I head out(late but girls hungry, whats the kid to do?)
1) Lavin is not a salesman. Guy is legit and cares about kids.
2) He knows hes been out of the game for a long time so dont worry, this aint some egomaniac that thinks he knows it all. He will surround himself with coaches who know whats going on as well as some SERIOUS recruiters.
3) SJU has made a commitment here to back him with the finances are resources he need to be a success.
4) This is a good day, kids in the hood know him from tv and when he fills out his staff this is going to turn around....quickly.

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 12:01:08 AM »
Great news!! good job by Monasch....Excited for next year already

Kev!!!! Come to parsons ale house tomorrow night with me and brendan to celebrate!!!!
Haha i might come after night class

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 12:02:32 AM »
2) He knows hes been out of the game for a long time so dont worry, this aint some egomaniac that thinks he knows it all. He will surround himself with coaches who know whats going on as well as some SERIOUS recruiters.
3) SJU has made a commitment here to back him with the finances are resources he need to be a success.
4) This is a good day, kids in the hood know him from tv and when he fills out his staff this is going to turn around....quickly.

A lot of things I was hinting to earlier. This is very on the money.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 12:03:58 AM »
and when he fills out his staff this is going to turn around....quickly.

...from your lips to God's ears......
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:05:23 AM by theoffspring447 »

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 12:04:37 AM »
cant wait till the AM

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 12:05:20 AM »
think he has enough time to get doron lamb here before he makes his decision?

sjd8886

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 12:06:17 AM »
dave, when are we getting your big news, im dyin here lol

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2010, 12:08:12 AM »

A lot of things I was hinting to earlier. This is very on the money.

st johns taking a page from xavier's book?

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2010, 12:09:24 AM »
+1
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:10:07 AM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »
dave, when are we getting your big news, im dyin here lol

I can't get word on an anything official yet. Wait for everything to be done. It will all come official soon no need to rush anything.

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010, 12:12:41 AM »

Tonight I'm proud to be a Johnny...

Btw, I havent been this excited about SJU basketball since Hatten beating duke

sjd8886

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2010, 12:12:50 AM »
ok, i just feel like a kid on Christmas eve haha

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 12:17:23 AM »
ITS DONE

LennRobbins

St. John's and Lavin to agree on a deal today...No stumbling blocks expected..Johnnies hit a grand slam..

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 12:20:46 AM »
ITS DONE

LennRobbins

St. John's and Lavin to agree on a deal today...No stumbling blocks expected..Johnnies hit a grand slam..
In Monasch We Trust!

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2010, 12:21:49 AM »
St. John’s athletic director Chris Monasch and former UCLA coach Steve Lavin left a dinner meeting at a downtown bistro last night with the understanding Lavin would become the Red Storm’s new basketball coach, several sources told The Post.

The devil is in the details as reps for both sides will work out the contract and Lavin will try to fly his family and some former colleagues in for a press conference possibly as early as tomorrow.

After turning to Lavin on Saturday, as reported exclusively in The Post, the two sides came together like a Bruin to honey. Lavin, an ESPN basketball analyst, has been out of coaching since 2003 when he was fired at UCLA after his only losing season.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/sju_set_to_hire_ex_ucla_coach_lavin_wbPyzkpLEbVZOCXzgbkhkN#ixzz0jd9QZyaI
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2010, 12:44:51 AM »
LEGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2010, 01:54:29 AM »
i dont get some of you people..that youre not sold on him...who do you want?

who in this thread said they weren't sold on him?

The fact that he has been out of the coaching ranks for more then 5 years concerns me....His lack of ties to this area also a concern depending on the staff he brings in. I did not say it was not a good hire....i am allowed to have concerns....that's the nature of this website people expressing opinions. As for me...I wanted Tubby Smith but them's the breaks. By the way who ever STJ brings in I am behind them 100% regardless of any concerns because I want the School and the kids to be successful....end of story

You are certainly welcome to voice your opinions and concerns.....its a forum! If we all agreed life would be boring. If you are concerned about Steve Lavin's lack of ties let me ask you what kind of ties would Tubby Smith bring in then?

Good point about Tubby's lack of ties but my issue was more aligned to the fact Tubby's been on the recruiting trail. Kids know who Tubby is....Do current recruits remember Lavin from 7 yrs ago? I personally will fill better after he names his staff. Don't get me wrong I am excited!! I would love for our Seniors to go out in the NCAA Tourny next year but more importantly love to see the nine schollies go to some absolute studs.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:07:27 AM by PEEKSKILLREDDEVIL »

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2010, 02:00:56 AM »

The fact that he has been out of the coaching ranks for more then 5 years concerns me....His lack of ties to this area also a concern depending on the staff he brings in. I did not say it was not a good hire....i am allowed to have concerns....that's the nature of this website people expressing opinions. As for me...I wanted Tubby Smith but them's the breaks. By the way who ever STJ brings in I am behind them 100% regardless of any concerns because I want the School and the kids to be successful....end of story

You are certainly welcome to voice your opinions and concerns.....its a forum! If we all agreed life would be boring. If you are concerned about Steve Lavin's lack of ties let me ask you what kind of ties would Tubby Smith bring in then?

Good point about Tubby's lack of ties but my issue was more aligned to the fact Tubby's been on the recruiting trail. Kids know who Tubby is....Do current recruits remember Lavin from 7 yrs ago? I personally will fill better after he names his staff. Don't get me wrong I am excited!! I would love for our Seniors to go out in the NCAA Tourny next year but more importantly love see the nine schollies go to some absolute studs.

I'd wager kids know and see Lavin more on ESPN than they do Tubby on the sidelines at Minnesota. I think thats a safe bet.

sjd8886

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2010, 02:01:09 AM »

Good point about Tubby's lack of ties but my issue was more aligned to the fact Tubby's been on the recruiting trail. Kids know who Tubby is....Do current recruits remember Lavin from 7 yrs ago? I personally will fill better after he names his staff. Don't get me wrong I am excited!! I would love for our Seniors to go out in the NCAA Tourny next year but more importantly love see the nine schollies go to some absolute studs.

they prob know who he is from tv...and if they dont, once they get his resume theyll be impressed...he can walk into a living room and tell kids what he did with his teams and who he put in the pros

sjd8886

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2010, 02:06:58 AM »
btw, if you havent seen a lot of lavin on tv, they usually post his resume in a little graphic below him when hes talking...so since hes covering the tourny, and they do that, kids must know about him and what hes done