Norm's Job Security

• 60 replies
Norm's Job Security
« on: January 30, 2008, 08:34:31 PM »
I honestly tried to support him as much as possible and I want him to be the guy to bring us back but time after time I'm let down. I think he tries to do the right stuff and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows the right stuff however he isn't getting it done. The losses aren't close and you can only place so much blame on the youth and inexperience. With this current Georgetown game possibly being the worst in SJU history I'm left to really wonder how the University feels? I'm tired of being embarrassed especially when I put so much of my own personal time trying to help out.

I thought his job was really going to come down to USF, RU, and SHU games but I'm not even sure winning 2 out of 3 of those will even be enough. USF and RU are both on the road and I don't need to remind everyone how bad we are so you can't assume we take these games. How can you bring a coach back after going 1-?? in the Big East? Now Norm might get lucky if St. John's can't find a coach we would like to keep here long term.

I really just don't know anymore but one thing I know for sure is I'm sick of watching this brand of basketball.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

Re: Norm's Job Security
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:37:20 PM »
it's embarrassing to be a stj fan and i can't imagine how the admin feels. 

i truly feel norm is gone this year.  i can't see him beating seton hall.  and probably not both usf/rutgers... 

if norm stays for another year, i will be so disappointed.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:43:04 PM »
He's a good guy.  He's brought in good "character" guys.

Now it's year 4 and time to WIN with those character guys.

That's not happening.  Hell, we've regressed.  He has to go.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:56:20 PM »
After watching this sorry display, i now know its time for an immediate change. Perhaps Billy Singleton taking over on an temp. position. I don't know what to say anymore I'm sick of this time after time same old S!@#. Monasch and Harrington must end this NOW!!!

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 09:36:22 PM »
I honestly believe this performance may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.  Even those in favor of giving him one more year to improve/recruit/coach must be sick to their stomaches.  Nevermind wanting him gone, I think he WILL be gone at the end of the year.  This is pure speculation on my part, I'll admit, but this can't (and won't) go on much longer.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:58:26 PM »
it's embarrassing to be a stj fan and i can't imagine how the admin feels. 

i truly feel norm is gone this year.  i can't see him beating seton hall.  and probably not both usf/rutgers... 

if norm stays for another year, i will be so disappointed.

The administration should feel embarrassed, not you.
They have made this mess, and deserve to be embarrassed.

The school needs to decide if basketball is something that they want to do.
It's not going to be so easy to bring in a good coach.

Harrington has really destroyed St.John's. People have joked about a name change.
Maybe it's time to change St.John's to something else. Maybe Jamaica University.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
i definitely feel after today that norm is gone...there were a few people near the bunch (including some students) getting on him all game and he definitely heard it..i would hear the people screaming to him and look at his facial expressions and you know he heard everything...theres no way hes coming back

kjd01067

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 10:22:23 PM »
I have tried to be optimistic when there has not been much to be optimistic about.  I have been a St. Johns fan all my life and I love coming on this site every day and reading about the team.  I have supported the team, the coach and the administration since day 1.  This all being said if Norm isnt gone after this season, I dont think I can put my time and effort into being a die hard fan of this team.  I will always watch the team dont get me wrong, but there is no way i would waste my time coming to the forumns and researching recruits etc.  What can we do as fans to make sure this wrong is righted ?

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:33:46 PM »
This is as bad a loss as you can get. Words can't describe how far this program has fallen. There HAS to be a change at season's end. This horrible experiment MUST end. PLEASE for the love of God, please let this nightmare end!! Although I am obviously in favor of a change, I don't agree with berating Norm at the games. Seems a bit bush league to me. You know he can't be happy and I'm sure he's doing his best, it's just time we parted ways.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 11:41:50 PM »
everyone on this board is correct re: this topic. the beauty is none of us will have to petition, voice our opinion, want or hope norm is a goner next year because it will happen. that's all i have to say. you can see it in the post game quotes. norm has given up....

"We didn't play very well tonight and that's my fault, all my fault," fourth-year St. John's coach Norm Roberts said. "We'll play harder and get better from here. We're young but that's no excuse. We can be tougher. This league is good but you've got to make shots and make plays and not give teams open looks."

although i hate to see norm fail......this has to happen.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 11:51:23 PM »
i will admit i was on norms side at the beginning of this year, but with the best talent hes got in his tenure here and the worst results its time for him to go. its getting ridiculous and this program is falling into shambles. its a f'en shame!!
We Not Me

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »
We gave it a good run Norm, but I think it's time we saw other people. This is harder for me than you, but I think it will be for the best.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »
all the administration has to ask itself is in year 4 is 7-12 acceptable?

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 10:05:35 AM »
I like Norm and I was a Norm supporter but I think its time. We are in an elite conference and we need a coach who can return us to the promise land like when we had Artest and Barkley. This program should be in the tournament every year and we can find a coach who can do that. We have the talent but Norm does not know how to develop it plus he is a weak X's and O's guy. He is better suited as a recruting coordinator at another school.

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »
I've been a "Norm Guy" since he's gotten here and really just wanted to give the man a chance.  Even though we stunk the first 2 years we played our asses off and I thought to myself if we can just bring in some guys and they play this hard we'll be pretty good.  What I'm seeing now is that maybe it wasn't Norm getting those guys to play but rather just those guys working for themselves.  For as bad as they were at basketball guys like Cedric and Phil used to go after it every game.  Geno used to be that guy, and I am probably dissappointed in him more then anyone because if he was doing what he used to he'd be showing these young guys what its about to be a part of St. John's Basketball.  After last night, that was what hit me the hardest.  Guys on our team last night didn't even look to care half the time.  The only encouraging part for me was the guys who did look like they cared were the young guys.  Malik did all that he could to save face for this program and probably in his eyes this city and he just didnt have the help.  This is now multiple games this has happened to this team where they came out flat and soft and its unacceptable.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, but if we were fighting tooth and nail like we did in Norms' 1st year none of us would be as pist.  We see the talent and the potential for greatness yet we see us losing by 32.  Unfortunately in life and in business sometimes you have to move on and I believe it's time for this univeristy to move on and dismiss Norm at the end of the year.  Let the new kids develop under someone else, and hopefully someone can bring this program back to where it needs to be.  I hope the guy we bring in is someone experienced and eager to make us what we want to be.

kjd01067

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 01:33:11 PM »
I've been a "Norm Guy" since he's gotten here and really just wanted to give the man a chance.  Even though we stunk the first 2 years we played our asses off and I thought to myself if we can just bring in some guys and they play this hard we'll be pretty good.  What I'm seeing now is that maybe it wasn't Norm getting those guys to play but rather just those guys working for themselves.  For as bad as they were at basketball guys like Cedric and Phil used to go after it every game.  Geno used to be that guy, and I am probably dissappointed in him more then anyone because if he was doing what he used to he'd be showing these young guys what its about to be a part of St. John's Basketball.  After last night, that was what hit me the hardest.  Guys on our team last night didn't even look to care half the time.  The only encouraging part for me was the guys who did look like they cared were the young guys.  Malik did all that he could to save face for this program and probably in his eyes this city and he just didnt have the help.  This is now multiple games this has happened to this team where they came out flat and soft and its unacceptable.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, but if we were fighting tooth and nail like we did in Norms' 1st year none of us would be as pist.  We see the talent and the potential for greatness yet we see us losing by 32.  Unfortunately in life and in business sometimes you have to move on and I believe it's time for this univeristy to move on and dismiss Norm at the end of the year.  Let the new kids develop under someone else, and hopefully someone can bring this program back to where it needs to be.  I hope the guy we bring in is someone experienced and eager to make us what we want to be.

Great post scooby!  I agree with you 100% and feel this is the way most young fans feel.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »
       Father Harrington is to blame. Norm was hired strictly because he would coach for relatively little money and for no other reason. Harrington's plan has always been to invest the least amount of money in the program and get the most in return [i.e don't build a new on campus arena, don't pay for a real coach, just sit back and collect SJU's share of the yearly proceeds  from the other Big East schools that play in  the BE, NIT, And NCAA tourneys]. He is no more than a admininstrator trying  to maximize profits and couldn't give a rat's ass about the students, alumni, fans,or legacy. SJU is not the only BE school doing this . You can include Seton Hall, Prov., and Depaul.
     Petitions don't mean a wit to Harrington. He has to be hurt in the pocketbook before he will act. Don't go to games, don't donate to the school, don't join the Red White club, etc. I was a season ticket holder since 1964 but recently refused to renew.
     I have watched Harrinton and Cahill [the previous president] suck all the money out of this program and invest very little over the past 40+ years. Wise up my young commrades. It's only business to the administration.

Al

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 10:17:33 PM »
great post easyred!!

kob24

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
how did u know his name was easy red. i think its easyed

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 12:54:29 PM »
i thought i would bring this post back up! LOL.....going to do it everytime we lose.