NEWS BREAK! Lavin Slays His First Dragon- Tony Chiles [JohnnyJungle.com]

• 55 replies
What position is he filling?  I would hope that he is not one of our three assistants.  Recruiting coordinator would be a great role for him.

I really feel like NJ has to be our focus for 2011--not NY.  There are no uncommitted recruits in the top 100 from NYC.  We have nine scholarships open for that class.
He's an experienced assistant.  You want him to be DOBO? Grad assistant?  Let's see where the other assistants come from, and I would expect these guys to make Jersey inroads as well.  Lavin cannot start his tenure by ignoring NY, btw.  And Jabarie Hinds isn't top 100?

I'm not suggesting you ignore NY.  Slice alone is NY enough for almost any staff--he has been labeled as the best recruiter in the city, EVER. Hinds is from Mt. Vernon, technically not part of NYC.  Mt. Vernon does not even play in the CHSAA like some Westchester schools.  It is Section 1 of NYSPHAA. 

I like the Tony Chiles hire more and more as time goes by. I would have really liked Grasso and/or J-Will on this staff.  It looks like that is no longer possible, but it seems like we will end up with Slice-Dunlap-Chiles and Young as DOBO.  That is pretty incredible.

Lavin is a solid coach, but having a guy like Dunlap who is incredible just makes us that much better.  I don't think Leitao could have brought that level of expertise there.

Why Grasso? Why are you high on him?

sjd8886

What position is he filling?  I would hope that he is not one of our three assistants.  Recruiting coordinator would be a great role for him.

I really feel like NJ has to be our focus for 2011--not NY.  There are no uncommitted recruits in the top 100 from NYC.  We have nine scholarships open for that class.
He's an experienced assistant.  You want him to be DOBO? Grad assistant?  Let's see where the other assistants come from, and I would expect these guys to make Jersey inroads as well.  Lavin cannot start his tenure by ignoring NY, btw.  And Jabarie Hinds isn't top 100?

I'm not suggesting you ignore NY.  Slice alone is NY enough for almost any staff--he has been labeled as the best recruiter in the city, EVER. Hinds is from Mt. Vernon, technically not part of NYC.  Mt. Vernon does not even play in the CHSAA like some Westchester schools.  It is Section 1 of NYSPHAA. 

I like the Tony Chiles hire more and more as time goes by. I would have really liked Grasso and/or J-Will on this staff.  It looks like that is no longer possible, but it seems like we will end up with Slice-Dunlap-Chiles and Young as DOBO.  That is pretty incredible.

Lavin is a solid coach, but having a guy like Dunlap who is incredible just makes us that much better.  I don't think Leitao could have brought that level of expertise there.

he recruited jio and gaston to one of the worst programs in college

Who cares? Fontan left and that team sucks

kob24

the players tony got to go to drexel wasnt trash. edger actually had a shot at playing in the nba. and chris fouch won rookie of the year in the caa. chris is a a10 player but tony got him to commit to drexel.

Poison

So let me get this get this straight.

We're impressed with the success at Drexel,
but we are not even slightly impressed with Hofstra?

No offense to Chris Fouch, whoever that is, but of you want to give a CAA coach credit for recruiting a guard, try Pecora, and Charles Jenkins.

He recruited a Big East starter, and future NBA player to
lowly Hofstra.

sjd8886

Who cares? Fontan left and that team sucks

whats him leaving have to do with anything, he went there...and i know they suck...i said they are one of the worst programs in college, hence recruiting two great players there is impressive

No offense to Chris Fouch, whoever that is, but of you want to give a CAA coach credit for recruiting a guard, try Pecora, and Charles Jenkins.

lowly Hofstra.

I'd take Tom Pecora as an assistant. What's your point?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

dave, we going to have any new news tomorrow? seems like you broke the story before anybody

pmg911

Slice alone is NY enough for almost any staff--he has been labeled as the best recruiter in the city, EVER.

Man, where do you come up with this stuff...   the best recruiter EVER in NYC..? Where was this ever said..?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden

lowly Hofstra.
I do believe St. John's was looking at Fouch too - supposed to be an ace 3-point shooter.  And Jenkins + NBA? I don't think he's on any draft boards.  Jenkins is good - at least in the CAA - but you're extrapolating here, and while he and Loren Stokes/ Agudio were good, there are a lot of other guys who... well... aren't quite BE caliber!

Marillac

Slice alone is NY enough for almost any staff--he has been labeled as the best recruiter in the city, EVER.

Man, where do you come up with this stuff...   the best recruiter EVER in NYC..? Where was this ever said..?

Sometimes you can be really annoying, PMG.  Do you understand what is implied when someone uses the word "labeled"?  It is usuallly not suggestive of a personal opinion.

I'll spend 20 seconds on this for you, if you want to see more you can do the googling yourself.

"Rohrssen is considered the top recruiter in the nation of the five boroughs of New York City"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/372089-will-barry-rohrssen-leave-manhattans-dominant-recruiting-class-behind

"BARRY ROHRSSEN HEAD COACH, MANHATTAN COLLEGE THE SKINNY: Known as the best recruiter the five boroughs has ever seen"
http://espn.go.com/new-york/columns/

Now go grab a paper towel and wipe the [egg] off your face. 

pmg911

Sometimes you can be really annoying, PMG.  Do you understand what is implied when someone uses the word "labeled"?  It is usuallly not suggestive of a personal opinion.

I'll spend 20 seconds on this for you, if you want to see more you can do the googling yourself.

"Rohrssen is considered the top recruiter in the nation of the five boroughs of New York City"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/372089-will-barry-rohrssen-leave-manhattans-dominant-recruiting-class-behind

"BARRY ROHRSSEN HEAD COACH, MANHATTAN COLLEGE THE SKINNY: Known as the best recruiter the five boroughs has ever seen"

You are such an arrogant little douchebag sometimes...

You quote all you want but I will stick with 25 years of playing, coaching and being involved in NYC basketball and saying Barry Rohrseen, who I have known since I am 14 years old, is the best recruiter in the Five Boros ever, is one of the most ridiculous statements ever...   doesn't make a difference who said it.

Hard to keep up with what you are an expert on these days..   is is horse breeding in Kentucky...   NY State high school football. . NYC high school hoops...   St. John's basketball...  Investing in the market...     or now the law...   

LOL at Marillac using a bleacherreport article to support his argument. Anyone can write there its basically a forum.

PMG has a point here there is nothing to really support your claim he is the "best" I don't think PMG is even disputing that he is a good recruiter but just that he is "best"

It's a silly argument anyways. Just move on the both of you and stop the name calling. You both know there is no place for that here.

Tha Kid

Anyways he's not coming, so I'm going with Tony Chiles as best recruiter ever! ;)
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

You are such an arrogant little douchebag sometimes...

You quote all you want but I will stick with 25 years of playing, coaching and being involved in NYC basketball and saying Barry Rohrseen, who I have known since I am 14 years old, is the best recruiter in the Five Boros ever, is one of the most ridiculous statements ever...   doesn't make a difference who said it.

Hard to keep up with what you are an expert on these days..   is is horse breeding in Kentucky...   NY State high school football. . NYC high school hoops...   St. John's basketball...  Investing in the market...     or now the law...

What a ridiculous response.  I simply stated the the guy has been labeled something by others.  I never laid the claim myself.  I know he's good, but I don't have anywhere near enough info to lay such a claim. 

You call me out and ask me where I come up with it--clearly implying that I made it up.  I cited an ESPN article that stated it--an article in a thread you COMMNENTED ON nonetheless.  I showed you the link and cut and pasted the quote.  That clearly demonstrates that somebody had labeled slice as the best.  That is all I wrote in my post. 

You then want to get into personal attacks.  It's interesting how you attack people if you think they are coming off as a know-it-all. It makes you look so insecure.  It's  a sports forum.  We are all here to voice our opinions.  My opinions are no better than yours and your opinions are no better than mine. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:03:34 PM by Marillac »