Dwayne Polee Jr. - PF - Los Angeles, CA - Westchester Senior HS - ST. JOHN'S

• 152 replies
It's always hard to tell how good a player is on a great high school team.
Sometimes they are the 3rd or 4th option, and it comes easier for them.

I would be surprised if all he can do is dunk.  Its not easy averaging 20 points on a team that good.

Hopefully he's the real deal and he enjoys NY this weekend.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Figure they will take him to the campus and I think they should take him to the Jordan Brand game and let him check out the Garden.

Too bad its not going to be a nice weekend here in the city though. If it was a nice 75 and sunny I think this could would like it even more here. those cali kids like their sun

Tha Kid

Honestly he seems like Justin Burrell Part II a little bit - which I'm thrilled about with the better coach in place.  Isn't this fairly similar to reports on Burrell out of HS?
"I drink and I know things"

The athleticism part yes.  Looks like more of a SF to me though.

Tha Kid

The athleticism part yes.  Looks like more of a SF to me though.

I think with the right coach, Burrell could have been a 3/4 mix.  What do you think KOB?
"I drink and I know things"

That kids hops man! I mean really hopes.

Wow.  Wow.  Wow.

He seems like the average recruits we've been getting the last 5 years w Norm.

You've gotta be kidding me (-_- )

Wow.  Wow.  Wow.

He seems like the average recruits we've been getting the last 5 years w Norm.

You've gotta be kidding me (-_- )

Paris Horne had a nice highlight film too. I might have rather had Ron Roberts for 4 years than this kid with the 2. BUt lets give this kid a chance and see what he can do against Big East talent

Agreed.

Paris Horne had a nice highlight film too. I might have rather had Ron Roberts for 4 years than this kid with the 2. BUt lets give this kid a chance and see what he can do against Big East talent

4 versus 2?  Isn't Polee in high school?  Or are you predicting early entry to the NBA?

I've got a friend who played against him in high school and his dad is friends with a relative of Polee.  He told me that Polee is going to be a little bit of a project because he is so raw, but his athleticism and defense was among the best he saw in all of LA.  Polee also doesn't have any jump shot to speak of.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:14:12 AM by STJ11Redmen »

tyshawn edmonson had the best highlight video

4 versus 2?  Isn't Polee in high school?  Or are you predicting early entry to the NBA?

Woops, thought he was juco

He's ranked #29 in the country on maxpreps.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/S2JUHkZWEd-lugAcxJTdpg/class-of-2010-final-top-100.htm

"Projections for the Los Angeles All-City Player of the Year at the next level vary wildly, but he’s doing something right – averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds per game and became the central figure for back-to-back Division I state championship teams at Westchester. "
OK...just watched the videos & read the Maxpreps writeup.
What a vertical ! 
From everything we read the last 3 months on Ron Roberts they seem similar.

He's listed as 6'6"-6'7". From the video he seems like a small 4.

Just need a PG to get him the ball now.
I've actually seen DP a lot more than Roberts, but I saw Roberts slightly more recently (Feb vs. late Jan.). Polee is way, way more athletic than Roberts (much more physical), but has never really developed his game beyond the basic framework that he had as a frosh/sophomore (hence, his annual drop in the rankings). He's a tweener, who, although his defense improved marginally this season, I think is better suited to a less physical league than the Big 10 or BE.

Due to that elite-level athleticism and a semblence of a perimeter game, he's got a high ceiling, but the coaches will really have to ride his ass to maximize that ceiling.

kjd01067

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/S2JUHkZWEd-lugAcxJTdpg/class-of-2010-final-top-100.htm

"Projections for the Los Angeles All-City Player of the Year at the next level vary wildly, but he’s doing something right – averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds per game and became the central figure for back-to-back Division I state championship teams at Westchester. "
What a vertical ! 

I've actually seen DP a lot more than Roberts, but I saw Roberts slightly more recently (Feb vs. late Jan.). Polee is way, way more athletic than Roberts (much more physical), but has never really developed his game beyond the basic framework that he had as a frosh/sophomore (hence, his annual drop in the rankings). He's a tweener, who, although his defense improved marginally this season, I think is better suited to a less physical league than the Big 10 or BE.

Due to that elite-level athleticism and a semblence of a perimeter game, he's got a high ceiling, but the coaches will really have to ride his ass to maximize that ceiling.

I don't mind that as long as Dunlap is around to get after this kid.  I would like a point guard with this schollie but I don't mind taking the best player available and that sounds like Polee.  Hopefully after year of work and getting knocked around by the likes of Dele in practice this kid can be one hell of a steal this late in the game.

What a vertical ! 

I don't mind that as long as Dunlap is around to get after this kid.  I would like a point guard with this schollie but I don't mind taking the best player available and that sounds like Polee.  Hopefully after year of work and getting knocked around by the likes of Dele in practice this kid can be one hell of a steal this late in the game.
Yeah, with Polee, you're aiming for the best available talent (that you can attain).

The kid is a human highlight reel in the open court, but we still aren't completely certain as to what type of offense that Coach Lavin will be looking to incorporate in the upcoming season. If, by some (low) chance, it's a methodical, half-court offense, Polee's talents wouldn't fit.

I'm not saying he is a pro, but he clearly has pro athleticism. If he is developed and if he has the drive and commitment to round  his game, sky is the limit. He is an upgrade from Ron Roberts I think. He needs to work out heavily on his skill aspects of his game to be great player.

sjd8886

when u have a kid who can jump out of the stadium and has pro athleticism, grab him up...this is a kid who has serious pro potential and we would have had no shot at with norm...everyone was high on roberts as even a program changer :O...well this kid is flat out more impressive than him, so if we get him, be happy...with some improvements to his game, hes really gonna move up the position rankings in his class

MJ was nothing more than that as a frosh. Of course he was surrounded by all americans. :)

St. John's coach Steve Lavin is leaving on a jet plane for California. He hopes to return with a commitment from Los Angeles prep star Dwayne Polee Jr.

Polee Jr. visited St. John's over the weekend with his mother and left New York with a strong desire to sign with the Red Storm, a source told The Post.

Because the Red Storm joined the recruiting process late after the hiring of Lavin, the former UCLA coach, the source said Polee's parents, Yolanda and Dwayne Polee Sr., want to make sure their son is not simply experiencing infatuation with the Big Apple.

Polee was given a tour of the Garden, had lunch in Central Park and dined at a Harlem restaurant. Having starred at Westchester High in L.A., Polee is a city kid who immediately felt comfortable in the environment.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/lavin_plays_catch_up_EWFphsCq2CxpHPrIAyUXiP#ixzz0ldrYbRRY