Remi Barry - SF - Loomis, CA (France) - Del Oro High School - NEW MEXICO STATE

• 198 replies

boo3

Re: Remi Barry - SF - Loomis, CA (France) - Del Oro High School
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 02:18:39 PM »
Can make nothing of him from this video. Competition looked extremely weak.

Marillac will watch 45 secs of this clip and break it down for us. Before we know it, this kid will be the next Carmello Anthony

Maybe he'll draw up a few plays for him as well. :)

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 08:32:15 PM »
so if polee can convince barry to come here, who loses their scholly?

sjd8886

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 10:19:47 PM »
you know whats sad...i was gonna respond to the last post with a joke of a few players that are so good we couldnt afford to lose...but the joke doesnt work...bc i can only throw out one name, dj kennedy, who was our best player last year by far, and was only a honorable mention selection in the big east...dear lord, thank god the program hired lavin

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »
http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100511&content_id=9963072&oid=2&vkey=21

Remi Barry, a 6-foot-7, 215-pound France native with NBA potential, is considering the Johnnies along with UCLA and Arizona State.

Doc Haynes, Barry's AAU coach with the YBA Dawgs, says UConn and Wake Forest have also expressed interest, but St. John's is the leader.

"Right now he's considering St. John's as the frontrunner," Haynes said Monday in a phone interview from Sacramento, Calif.

Barry, who is averaging 24 points, 11 rebounds and six assists for the YBA Dawgs, didn't anoint St. John's as his favorite just yet, though.

"I don't have any favorite at all," he said. "I have top three. UCLA, St. John's and Arizona State."

St. John's coach Steve Lavin was recently out in California visiting Polee, who committed last week, and Barry.

Haynes said Barry struck up a relationship with the former UCLA and current Red Storm coach.

"There's something about the Big Apple that's intriguing," Haynes said. "Coach Lavin came out about two weeks ago. Remi thought that he was very genuine and that was a big plus. Remi's got everyone coming from everywhere trying to woo him and he thought that Coach Lavin was very genuine."

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 12:27:53 PM »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
it would hurt to see a player leave but i want this kid bad. From what people are saying and the things i have seen he looks like a talent we havnt had for a long long time
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 03:12:55 PM »

Rob Thomas. something has to be worked out with his situation.

kjd01067

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 03:27:33 PM »
A few short clips of Remi... fast forward to about 2:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZGGlxaHFOU&feature=player_embedded#!

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 03:34:28 PM »
Gotta like the hair.

sjd8886

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 01:16:42 AM »

ive said before i dont like the idea of putting rob thomas on academic money or a grant...and i know it may just be me, but its just the idea of taking away an athletic scholarship from a kid who went through what he did and did everything he was asked, and just kept going, through it all...and yea i know he should be grateful for being in school for free and should accept whatever lavin or the school wants him to do but it just doesnt sit right with me...i feel this is a situation where u make your leader step up...if u really wanna offer barry, u get the kids together, explain the situation, and flat out ask one of them to trade their athletic scholie for an academic scholie or a grant of some sort...hopefully here u have someone like dj, or horne, step up and say ok, whatever is best for the team, and set the egos aside...it may seem like a crazy, movie scripted scenario, where a kid stands up and says, "here, take my scholie, its whats best for the team coach", but ego aside, should a senior care why hes playing basketball and getting an education for free?

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 06:55:13 AM »

ive said before i dont like the idea of putting rob thomas on academic money or a grant...and i know it may just be me, but its just the idea of taking away an athletic scholarship from a kid who went through what he did and did everything he was asked, and just kept going, through it all...and yea i know he should be grateful for being in school for free and should accept whatever lavin or the school wants him to do but it just doesnt sit right with me...i feel this is a situation where u make your leader step up...if u really wanna offer barry, u get the kids together, explain the situation, and flat out ask one of them to trade their athletic scholie for an academic scholie or a grant of some sort...hopefully here u have someone like dj, or horne, step up and say ok, whatever is best for the team, and set the egos aside...it may seem like a crazy, movie scripted scenario, where a kid stands up and says, "here, take my scholie, its whats best for the team coach", but ego aside, should a senior care why hes playing basketball and getting an education for free?
Wow.  Ask a kid to give up his scholarship for the good of the team?  That's ok in your book, but giving a player that has already graduated a different way to to start his masters isn't? 

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 07:20:27 AM »
To the posters that have a problem with taking away Rob's extra year....

What would the school have to do for Rob to satisfy using his scholarship on a mega talent?  Would it be enough that (since Rob has already graduated) they give him his entire master's for free?  Typically a master's can be earned in 1.5-2.5 years.  If Rob kept his 'ship, he'd only be eligible to ge that first year for free. 

What if the school continued providing him with tutors and the same services that student-athletes are entitled to?  Would that be enough?

Or is Rob's 'ship completely off limits because of his learning disabilities?  If that's the case, what if he gained 100 pounds and was completely usless.  Would you still want to keep it off limits?

Poison

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 08:20:06 AM »
As long as they help Thomas get his degree, they've done right by him.
That, they owe him. Playing time, they don't. That's up to him. Is he working out over the Spring?

Last year, he showed up fat. I want the guy to succeed, but stop with the bad eating habits, and maybe you won't be hurt so much.

Foad

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 08:52:33 AM »
To the posters that have a problem with taking away Rob's extra year....

What would the school have to do for Rob to satisfy using his scholarship on a mega talent?  Would it be enough that (since Rob has already graduated) they give him his entire master's for free?  Typically a master's can be earned in 1.5-2.5 years.  If Rob kept his 'ship, he'd only be eligible to ge that first year for free. 

What if the school continued providing him with tutors and the same services that student-athletes are entitled to?  Would that be enough?

I suspect without knowing that there's some NCAA prohibition against taking away a player's scholarship and then providing him with exactly the same monetary and other benefits but calling it something else. Otherwise schools would have an unlimited number of scholarships available.

Or is Rob's 'ship completely off limits because of his learning disabilities?  If that's the case, what if he gained 100 pounds and was completely usless.  Would you still want to keep it off limits?

If you need someone to explain to you what is special about Rob Thomas, then you will never understand.

There's no player who's good enough to make a difference who's going to be happy with RT's five minutes per game. So not only are you throwing Thomas under the bus, you're throwing a second senior under the bus, ie, Brownlee or whoever gets there minutes cut.

Do we really need another SF?

If Barry wants SJ so bad, maybe he should take out a student loan for one year and walk on and then he can get a ride next year, when we have 9 to fill. If he's going to the NBA he'll have no problem paying it back.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:07 AM »
Foad, I wasn't suggesting that the school would take away the scholarship and give him aid to keep him on the team.  It would effectively end his career here.  He's earned his degree.

kob24

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 01:06:52 PM »
im gonna make a highlight tape of my self coaching. add some slow moition of me yelling and clapping put some wutang or eminem on it and send it in to duke and unc and see if i can get on the staff

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »
im gonna make a highlight tape of my self coaching. add some slow moition of me yelling and clapping put some wutang or eminem on it and send it in to duke and unc and see if i can get on the staff
;D ;D

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:29:35 PM by worldsgreatest10 »

TONYD3

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 06:42:50 PM »
St. John's offered Rob Thomas a 4 year scholarship because he earned it. I never saw him play before the injury, but according to many on this board he was great. In his 4 years years here I am sure he did his best. He has had some good games. But he has done nothing on the BASKETBALL COURT to earn a 5th year!! 4th string players who are out of shape don't earn 5th years. That may be harsh but it is still true.

LJSA

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2010, 12:57:08 AM »

It's going to take me a while to find a better post on this site. ;D