Tyler Harris - SF - Hollow Hills Hs West - Dix Hills, NY - NC STATE

• 111 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Tyler Harris - SF - Hollow Hills Hs West - Dix Hills, NY
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 01:50:44 PM »
He could play PF here, and the cards have a LOT of guys in the frontcourt (Buckles, Swopshire, jennings, plus the new guys, Behanan and Price).

Can he REALLY play PF here?
I don't know that, but I can see that as some idea he's been sold. But he wants to play SF.  From what I've seen... well... he's not getting on the court in front of Harkless and Sampson unless he gets a lot more athletic. IMO.

Moose

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 02:12:13 PM »
He could play PF here, and the cards have a LOT of guys in the frontcourt (Buckles, Swopshire, jennings, plus the new guys, Behanan and Price).

Can he REALLY play PF here?
I don't know that, but I can see that as some idea he's been sold. But he wants to play SF.  From what I've seen... well... he's not getting on the court in front of Harkless and Sampson unless he gets a lot more athletic. IMO.

Exactly my thinking.
Could he prep?
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 02:30:03 PM »
Exactly my thinking.
Could he prep?
I mean... of course he COULD, but is that what he and his pops wants?  I don't think you go from LI to St. Ben's to go to prep school the next year.  Who knows? He has some skills. But really, the team has SFs and they need to locate some 2011-eligible post players...

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 02:45:18 PM »
But really, the team has SFs and they need to locate some 2011-eligible post players...
That's the elephant in the room. For their sake, it's hopefully not too late. There's very few quality bigs that haven't been accounted for.

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »
But really, the team has SFs and they need to locate some 2011-eligible post players...
That's the elephant in the room. For their sake, it's hopefully not too late. There's very few quality bigs that haven't been accounted for.

Which is why I think Coker should redshirt

Moose

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 03:25:05 PM »

Would God's Gift and Pelle suffice?

Moose

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 03:25:48 PM »

Which is why I think Coker should redshirt

Nobody is redshirting.

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 03:27:59 PM »

I guess that is the reason the staff is targeting God's Gift.  I'm not sure what has happened with Johnson.  Is he having eligibility issues? 

Maybe, folk expect Tyler Harris to grow a few more inches before it's all said and done.

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »

Exactly....  How did I forget to mention Pelle (a kid who I really want) in my last post?   ???     

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »

Absolutely, Pelle would. Of the recent St. John's guys, he's probably closest to a more athletic Burrell with similar patterns of production. He's got a lot of upside and the ability to be an impact freshman. If he comes here, hopefully the staff can make him more fundamentally sound on offense and, well, encourage him to play to his potential more consistently.

I've never seen God's Gift Achiuwa play, so I'm not sure what he brings to the court.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:50:28 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
Can't just have 2 bigs, though. Unless you're Marquette and routinely play NO big men.

Moose

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2010, 07:05:30 PM »
Well have we had a true 5 outside of Coker the last 4 years?  I hear people say a 'Big' and I think of a legit 5.  If guys like Burrell and Evans are also considered bigs even though in my mind they are 4's then OK we can have a couple of other options.  Pelle and GG with Sampson and Mo dabbling at the 4 I think is enough.  But who knows there might be something up the staff sleeve but it doesn't seem like many legit 5's on their radar.

GG seems like a space eater from what we've read.  But sadly we don't have any video.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
I'm thinking of 4s and 5s when I say bigs. Sampson might pack some weight on and play the 4 at times, especially in an uptempo offense, but I can't see Harkless doing that (and I thought it was a beef Nate Blue had with one school, wanting him to play down low? Or maybe I'm thinking of another recruit, like Tyler and his dad). 

If you only have 2 big men and a part-timer, what about foul trouble, injury...?

Moose

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2010, 11:27:32 PM »
I'm thinking of 4s and 5s when I say bigs. Sampson might pack some weight on and play the 4 at times, especially in an uptempo offense, but I can't see Harkless doing that (and I thought it was a beef Nate Blue had with one school, wanting him to play down low? Or maybe I'm thinking of another recruit, like Tyler and his dad). 

If you only have 2 big men and a part-timer, what about foul trouble, injury...?

Yeah it seems thin on paper but maybe Lavin's offensive and defensive sets aren't builty for much low post players. Zone might mean less foul trouble.  I don't know honestly but what I do see is not many true legit 5's.  I viewed Burrell and Evans as 4's that we have used at the 5 the last 3 years.  God seems like he's along that line.  Pelle and Sampson need to add some bulk.

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 11:39:59 PM »
Harris has already visited Iowa and then hit N.C. State this past weekend. St. John’s is the final school on his list and no date has been set.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/10/04/tyler-harris-visits-n-c-state/

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2010, 09:48:18 PM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/26606484024[/tweet]

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »
Note: Nate Blue tweeted that Tyler won't be coming to St. John's in the end, for what it's worth

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »
He's gonna go to North Carolina State
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:08:07 PM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2010, 08:52:16 AM »
It doesn't seem like he'd get any playing time here. NC State sounds like a good low level ACC fit.

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2010, 10:21:08 AM »
Anyone else think he finishes his career at Hofstra?