Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies
Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2010, 11:44:33 PM »
How soon can I order tickets for Midnight Madness?

LJSA

« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2010, 12:14:29 AM »
Wow, this is amazing.  I wonder if Amir was worried about losing his spot in the class if he waited until the spring after seeing Meikle sign today.

We would have held a spot for Garrett as long as we needed to, so I don't think one has anything to do with the other. Assuming Meikle is really 6'9", I think it's God's Gift Achiuwa's spot that may have been lost, especially since we'll take Chandler over him if given the opportunity. That's of course also assuming that GGA really wants to come here.

I can also see Greene coming aboard and Stith and Q deciding to finish their careers elsewhere.

gonzalo

« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2010, 02:01:02 AM »
Welcome, Amir!

kjd01067

« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2010, 08:10:07 AM »
Wow I really expected him to wait until the spring.  This is amazing we will be so talented next year we could field two teams and I think they would both beat any of Norm's teams

kob24

« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »
Just think, a year from now, we'll be talented.
low blow poison. u wont even give our seniors a chance wow.

« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2010, 08:38:24 AM »
amazing!

Poison

« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2010, 09:28:30 AM »
Kob, this is on them. They have the coach now. I'll give them some time, but we should consider that sometimes, it's the player.

Remember Zendon? He was terrible with Mahoney, and terrible with Frascilla. That's what happens if you just refuse to pass.

These kids have this pre season to pick up what Lavin and Co are teaching them. We'll know by the end of Dec what we've got.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:21:39 AM by Poison »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2010, 10:17:44 AM »
Wow, this is amazing.  I wonder if Amir was worried about losing his spot in the class if he waited until the spring after seeing Meikle sign today.

We would have held a spot for Garrett as long as we needed to, so I don't think one has anything to do with the other. Assuming Meikle is really 6'9", I think it's God's Gift Achiuwa's spot that may have been lost, especially since we'll take Chandler over him if given the opportunity. That's of course also assuming that GGA really wants to come here.

I can also see Greene coming aboard and Stith and Q deciding to finish their careers elsewhere.

Could you imagine a team of ALL first-years and 1 sophomore?  That's just strange.

« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2010, 10:21:56 AM »
Amazing, wow.

« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2010, 10:54:23 AM »
Just think, a year from now, we'll be talented.
low blow poison. u wont even give our seniors a chance wow.

KOB
I think we have a shot at the tourney, but imo it will depend on Justin. 10 and 7 will go a long way towards us making the tourney. He needs to play as he did as a Frosh. If he can't I do not think we have nearly enough talent up front to make it.

Poison

« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2010, 10:58:34 AM »
Seriously. He's a senior. JB is so much more talented than any St.M's big man.

If not now, when?

« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2010, 11:01:12 AM »
Kob, this is on them. They have the coach now. I'll give them some time, but we should consider that sometimes, it's the player.

Remember Zendon? He was terrible with Mahoney, and terrible with Frascilla. That's what happens if you just refuse to pass.

These kids have this pre season to pick up what Lavin and Co are teaching them. We'll know by the end of Dec what we've got.

I sure do remember Zendon, Poison.  I remember telling a friend (who is a fan of G'town) that the Johnnies would be better, the following year, once Lopez, Hamilton and Turner were gone.  He didn't think that would be the case and figured I was shortchanging what those guys meant to the Johnnies during the '97-'98 season.

I told him, we would be bringing in better talent (Barkley and Thornton); other good players would be a year older (Artest, Postell, Grant and Jessie) and Hamilton was a "black hole" and someone we would definitely be better off without.

Voila'!  The team was a basket away from going to the Final Four the following season.

We'll be young next season, but I just believe we'll have a better team a season from now.  I still believe this year can and will be a success.  But, I think we'll occasionally see some of the same things we've been witnessing in the past due to the talent level.

Thanks for joining the resurrection of the Johnnies, Amir! 

« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2010, 12:58:03 PM »
Welcome aboard Amir!!!!

kob24

« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2010, 01:20:32 PM »
i feel u but u still dont have to be mean. they never disrespected ur school. never raped a chick never got caught stealing lap tops. never got caught killing a teammate then hiding it. they had 3 years of bad coaching. miracles wont happen in 3 months. bad habits will have to change give them at least 6-8 games.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »
they had 3 years of bad coaching. miracles wont happen in 3 months. bad habits will have to change give them at least 6-8 games.

This.

I think they could stumble in Alaska, not because they're terrible but because Lavin is teaching/ training. Obviously he doesn't feel he's gotten through to everyone, or he would go a little deeper into the bench; he's breaking stubborn habits (see: Evans).

Poison

« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2010, 03:38:41 PM »
Kob, I want these kids to graduate, and get great jobs. I don't see the NBA in their future.
It's not about being mean, it's about being a realist.

Hopefully, I'm wrong about their talent level, and it really was the coach all along.

« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2010, 03:49:41 PM »
Kob, I want these kids to graduate, and get great jobs. I don't see the NBA in their future.
It's not about being mean, it's about being a realist.

Hopefully, I'm wrong about their talent level, and it really was the coach all along.

I agree with you. Not now, but at sometime during the season (hopefully not) it's possible people will realize maybe that players on this team right now just aren't as good as we though they were.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2010, 04:30:13 PM »
This tangent should be taken to another thread. This should be about Amir.

« Reply #178 on: November 17, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »
Welcome Amir!  Absolutely amazing class!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2010, 07:37:46 AM »
On Amir's twitter....."game tonight,it feels sooo good to be a johnny....leggo"