God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S

• 304 replies
Re: God's Gift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 06:32:32 PM »
i just want to see what the kid looks like. we need some beef
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »
i just want to see what the kid looks like. we need some beef

He has good size.  But he's raw.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 07:26:26 PM »
We need size, and bulk. We have zero bulk.

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 09:14:58 PM »
This kid rebounds and blocks shots. We will have lenght as a team but no bulk and these kids will get pushed around next year in BE play. I hope we land this kid.

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »
St. John’s coach Steve Lavin has already received nine gifts for next season.

Will God’s Gift be next?

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/01/20/st-johns-still-trying-to-land-gods-gift/

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 10:36:03 AM »
Wow, he's putting up some monster numbers on one of the best Juco teams in the country.  We still need a big desperately and getting him vs some guy who just has size should make a big difference, especially in year two when the young recruits arent inexperienced in the big east.

It's good to see we are in good shape with him.  Kentucky calling is a concern though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:41:34 AM by B-Squared »

Moose

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
Erie is D2 JC.  What is the dropoff from D1 (Redlands) to D2 Erie?  For instance Erie's only loss (a whooping) was to D1 Monroe College.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 07:17:41 PM »
Erie is D2 JC.  What is the dropoff from D1 (Redlands) to D2 Erie?  For instance Erie's only loss (a whooping) was to D1 Monroe College.

Did not know that, certainly makes a difference.  Thanks for the clarification.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »

It really depends on the program.  Sullivan CC is NCJAA D3 and they regularly beatup on both  NJCAA D1's and D2's.  Sullivan actually went out to Idaho this season and lost by 10 in a close game to #8  ranked of D1 College of Southern Idaho at their place.  Erie is not particularly strong and its comp is pretty weak.  Most of the kids in the region are NCAA D2 players at best. 

gonzalo

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 05:36:17 AM »
Achiuwa averaging 23.4 points, 12.3 rebounds and 2.3 blocks with .619 field goal percentage and .592 free throw percentage.

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_stats.cfm?sid=5&collegeid=1662&slid=2&category=Stats

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 03:07:01 PM »
Achiuwa Scores 39 to Power Kats Past Monroe CC
February 8, 2011

BUFFALO - Feb. 8 - Erie Community College sophomore forward God's Gift Achiuwa (Port Harcourt, River States, Nigeria) recorded his 18th double-double of the season with a season-high 39 points and 15 rebounds to carry the Kats past Monroe Community College 95-69 Tuesday night at the Flickinger Center. ECC improves to 21-2 overall and 10-1 in Western New York Athletic Conference play while Monroe CC is now 15-8 and 7-2.

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_home.cfm?collegeId=1662

Wods317

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 05:17:11 PM »
This guy would fit in awesome with this class. The only thing we are lacking is a big man with some beef down low who can rebound and God's Gift looks like he could be that guy.

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2011, 08:54:05 AM »
Does anyone else think that where God goes his current coach will go also?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »
Coach can't go unless he goes in as one of a team's top-4 coaches - no one's likely to offer that to him.

Actually, I think the loophole - used by Scott Drew, I think? No, Tim Floyd. I get my shady middle-aged men confused - is to hire the guy after the recruit has signed.  I think that's still allowed by the NCAA bylaws.

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 08:17:02 PM »
Coach can't go unless he goes in as one of a team's top-4 coaches - no one's likely to offer that to him.

Actually, I think the loophole - used by Scott Drew, I think? No, Tim Floyd. I get my shady middle-aged men confused - is to hire the guy after the recruit has signed.  I think that's still allowed by the NCAA bylaws.

Can't hire him 2 years before or after the recruit arrives.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 10:05:55 AM »

Maybe Floyd did that before the rule was in effect? And it doesn't apply if the coach brought in is one of the top-4 coaches - I believe.  I'll look it up later.

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 02:19:57 AM »

Maybe Floyd did that before the rule was in effect? And it doesn't apply if the coach brought in is one of the top-4 coaches - I believe.  I'll look it up later.

You're right only basketball of operations or one of the 10 make believe admin positions Calipari created at Memphis would cause a problem.  But the rule was written to prevent that loophole of hiring the coach after the player signs.

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 11:57:22 PM »
ECC's Achiuwa Chosen Region III Player of the Year
February 26, 2011

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Feb. 26 – Erie Community College sophomore forward God's Gift Achiuwa (Port Harcourt, River States, Nigeria/Sure Foundation) was named 2011 NJCAA Division II Region III Player of the Year Saturday. Achiuwa, who was also the 2010 Region III Player of the Year, averaged 23.7 points and 12 rebounds per game. He was named the Region II Player of the Week three times this season.

Achiuwa's team advanced to the to NJCAA National Championships....  He didn't shoot it well from the field (this particular game), but he was still named the tournament's MVP.

The All-Region III Tournament team consisted of: Lorenzo Joseph, Niagara County CC; Kevin Nascimento, Genesee CC; Aaron Williams, Monroe CC; Jones, Emmitt and Achiuwa. Achiuwa was named the tournament’s most valuable player.