God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S

• 304 replies
I'm a little surprised he didn't have a St. John's hat or shirt on.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

DFF6

I thought the same thing Dave. I guess he's showing Erie CC some love for being the first school and BB program that he has experienced in the U.S.     

I was really impressed with the interview. He sounds like such a nice young man.

I think his Traps weigh more than me. Holy Christ.

kjd01067

I think his Traps weigh more than me. Holy Christ.

GG is built you have to give him that.  He also looked fairly athletic and seemed to possess a decent touch from the few clips they showed.  I have a feeling GG is going to be a good player for us and will not be out-worked in the weight room and practice.

Does the campus store have any?

Was told on Friday by most reliable sources that he is now on campus and that the kid is big and his size alone will help for next season.

This week on the Fan, Boomer mentioned that his son Gunner is taking a summer class at SJU and that GG was in his class.  His son told him that GG was smart and actively contributed to class discussions.
FWIW

Wods317

God's Gift is in fact on campus and working out. I saw him in Taffner Field house the other day running with Stith. He is a big kid, not sure how tall he is but he's built like a mack truck. He seems to be in great shape and I like that he is here early and already working on his game. He has an NBA body and we are going to need his bulk inside.

God's Gift is in fact on campus and working out. I saw him in Taffner Field house the other day running with Stith. He is a big kid, not sure how tall he is but he's built like a mack truck. He seems to be in great shape and I like that he is here early and already working on his game. He has an NBA body and we are going to need his bulk inside.

Great to hear Wods! What about Stith? Howd he look? 

Wods317

They were doing more running and drills than actual playing when I was there but Stith is in very good shape also he was running these tough drills with the strength and conditioning coach with relative ease. He looks to have added some muscle to his frame which is good, I hope he is working on his shot. I will be around campus on and off and I will see how the guys are looking in these summer workouts.

Moose

Great to hear Wods! What about Stith? Howd he look? 

Lonely?

:)
Remember who broke the Slice news

They were doing more running and drills than actual playing when I was there but Stith is in very good shape also he was running these tough drills with the strength and conditioning coach with relative ease. He looks to have added some muscle to his frame which is good, I hope he is working on his shot. I will be around campus on and off and I will see how the guys are looking in these summer workouts.

Nice! I think I remember Lavin pointing out how hard Stith trained. He'll make a good captain

peter

• Rumble in the Garden

Nice! I think I remember Lavin pointing out how hard Stith trained. He'll make a good captain
Agreed. Hopefully Stith sets a good example, but GG and Nuri are about the same age, hopefully they roll in with some maturity/ leadership.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:43:28 PM by peter »

Apparently, everyone has been spelling his name wrong. It's actually spelled God'sgift Achiuwa.

DID YOU KNOW?: God'sgift Achiuwa just corrected us and all of America on the spelling of his first name! #stjbb

http://twitter.com/#!/STJ_Basketball/status/80711672758673408

Gumby

I keep forgetting that GG is an incoming junior.  I believe his two years of JC ball will work out well, not just at his position, but for the poise of the freshmen.

MCNPA

I keep forgetting that GG is an incoming junior.  I believe his two years of JC ball will work out well, not just at his position, but for the poise of the freshmen.

One good aspect is that his body is physically mature.  He's built like a monster.  This summer he's on campus and can work on the skills he needs instead of just working on weights, which he can pretty much leave alone.  I think he'll be used to enforce the post, especially on defense, and hopefully he's good for some reasonable amount of offense.

Ask God'sgift Achiuwa what he prefers to be called, and his answer is as simple as it is obvious. "God'sgift," he says.

After all, it is his given name, and he wears it with pride. That's not to say he minds if friends shorten it to "Gift," as a nickname, and he understands the curiosity his name provokes in strangers. When the 6-9, 240-pound junior-college transfer takes the basketball court...

Read More: (Newsday Subscription required)
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/college-basketball/god-sgift-happy-to-be-at-st-john-s-1.3047018
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Ask God'sgift Achiuwa what he prefers to be called, and his answer is as simple as it is obvious. "God'sgift," he says.

After all, it is his given name, and he wears it with pride. That's not to say he minds if friends shorten it to "Gift," as a nickname, and he understands the curiosity his name provokes in strangers. When the 6-9, 240-pound junior-college transfer takes the basketball court...

Read More: (Newsday Subscription required)
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/college-basketball/god-sgift-happy-to-be-at-st-john-s-1.3047018

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=F059BCCF9A0015C5D28A.3133?site=newsday&view=sports_college_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports_college&feed:i=1.3047018

Marillac

Yet another perpetual media story to keep St. John's fresh in the minds of sports fans :)  I bet SportsCenter goes out of its way to show highlights of God'sgift just so they can say the name!