God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S

• 304 replies

NYCoffey

I can take him in a fight.

Seriously though that is a Big East ready body. You are not backing that guy up at all. that block is his.

I saw him walking on Utopia Parkway with Mike Dunlap.  He is a physical specimen.

RedVet

I saw him walking on Utopia Parkway with Mike Dunlap.  He is a physical specimen.

Pardon the sarcasm, but I remember thinking the same thing about Dele Coker.

crgreen

Coker with  more than 1 year of Lavin/Dunlap/Hines/etc. might have been interesting...

Re: God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
[/quote]

Coker with  more than 1 year of Lavin/Dunlap/Hines/etc. might have been interesting...
[/quote]

I agree the game just needed to slow down for Coker. He had the tools.

MCNPA

Re: God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #266 on: September 01, 2011, 10:27:55 AM »

Just because GodsGift and Coker are from the same continent doesn't mean they have the same game.  GodsGift looks like quite a different player. 

« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2011, 10:29:40 AM »

Just because GodsGift and Coker are from the same continent doesn't mean they have the same game.  GodsGift looks like quite a different player. 

How much have you seen him play?

crgreen

« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »

UCLA reference - I'd more than settle for another Alfred Aboya (backup center/PF on 3 final four teams, starting center as a senior on a team that made the 2nd round of the dance despite losing Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook and Luc Mbah a Moute from the previous year's team)...

« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2011, 06:31:04 PM »

I said the same thing before last season and thought Coker should have been redshirted. 1 year with this staff would have done Dele and the team some good. Worst case scenario, they have another big to go up against in practice, and in games-he could possibly spell GG for 3 minutes per half before he fouls out

Marillac

« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »

I said the same thing before last season and thought Coker should have been redshirted. 1 year with this staff would have done Dele and the team some good. Worst case scenario, they have another big to go up against in practice, and in games-he could possibly spell GG for 3 minutes per half before he fouls out

Coker was useless for us last year after an entire season with the staff.  Give it up, guys.  I liked his shot-blocking potential, but the staff saw NOTHING in him.  He wouldn't see any pt with the talent we have.  He doesnt fit into this style at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moose

« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2011, 07:05:15 PM »

Only saw GG once in a full game but I'll say it again.  He is much different than Coker when it comes to defense.  Coker was a walking foul machine.  GG is very much under control.  The game I saw he played the whole 40 minutes picked up 3 fouls and 1 was offensive.  I don't think he will be anything like Coker on the defensive end.
Remember who broke the Slice news

RedVet

« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2011, 09:48:14 PM »
Coker had zero instincts for the game. Four years of the same old mistakes over and over again. And I don't think even this coaching staff would have made much difference. He was as bad last year as he was in his previous three.

I'm looking forward to seeing what GG can give us this year, but, without stereotyping him (well, maybe I am) he's following in some pretty questionable footsteps: Mohamed Diakite, Abe Keita, and Dele Coker.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:49:05 PM by RedVet »

« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2011, 11:24:56 PM »
he may be following some questionable footsteps, but he was evaluated by a much better staff. Lavin would not have signed any of those mentioned. In Lavin I trust

Marillac

« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
I think GG is a bandaid with his size and experience, but a Lavin bandaid is better than what a lot of schools bring in as their top recruit.  He is intelligent, a good kid off the court, God-fearing, and is 30 lbs heavier and a world stronger than anyone else we have right now.  He seems to have some fire too...Coker didn't.

« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »
I think GG is a bandaid with his size and experience, but a Lavin bandaid is better than what a lot of schools bring in as their top recruit.  He is intelligent, a good kid off the court, God-fearing, and is 30 lbs heavier and a world stronger than anyone else we have right now.  He seems to have some fire too...Coker didn't.

I agree Coker was awful. But who backsup GG, Phil Greene?

MCNPA

« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2011, 10:07:55 PM »

Just a guess, but maybe the rivals #1 ranked center Norvel Pelle? :idiot2:

« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »

I was thinking both would be on the court at same time, but you might be right

Marillac

« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2011, 11:07:22 PM »
Jakkar Sampson is a top 40 forward...do you want him to just sit?

MCNPA

« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2011, 11:08:53 PM »

I was thinking both would be on the court at same time, but you might be right

I don't think we'll see both on the court all that much.  We will at times against big teams, but often we'll go "small" and see a guy like Jakarr or Harkless in there at PF with our other wings at the same time.  I think Pelle and GG will most often alternate at center
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:10:08 PM by MCNPA »