Phillip Greene - G - IMG Academy - Chicago, IL - ST. JOHN'S

• 153 replies
Re: Phillip Greene - G - IMG Academy - Chicago, IL - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2011, 03:27:52 AM »
I was about to ask Poison if he either goes to school at Florida Atlantic or is currently on some medication.  :D

Jarvis messed up the program so bad that there almost wasn't going to be one.

Norm TRIED to rebuild it. He did to an extent that he cleaned it up. However, he didn't in terms of wins. Although he lacked the ability to develop and maximize a player's potential, he did a decent enough job to recruit good enough players to lay the foundation for Lavin and staff to make the great run that we did this year.

So as painful as those six years under Norm were, let it go. We are on the right path now.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 03:29:47 AM by Johnny4Life »

kjd01067

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2011, 06:15:33 AM »
Alright guys I know I'm guilty too but this is Phil Greene's thread if you guys want to debate who messed up the program more Jarvis or Norm let me know and I will split the topic

Poison

« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2011, 11:48:59 AM »
Norm Roberts owes me 6 years of college basketball. He can go f himself. I could care less if anyone has a problem with how much a despise him. He turned this program into a trash can, and had the gaul to blame Jarvis as much as 5 years after the fact.

Very intelligent post on your part.
The man took over a 6 win team and got them to 17 or 18 wins, that is improvement no matter how you look at it. Slow, painful, plenty of misses, absolutely but progress. Every kid graduated and no one embarrassed the program. Dont know which SJU team you follow but your facts are certainly mixed up.

17-18 wins against LIU, Depaul twice, St.Francis, Ivy league bottom feeders, Bryant and NJIT.
I'm sorry, but those 17-18 wins do not count. If they did count, it would be because they were against teams that belonged in D1 hoops. Norms non-conference opponents did not.

What's his BE record? And Jarvis'?

Jarvis' worst season at SJU he went 7-9, and won the NIT.
In Norm's best season, we went 7-9, and lost in the first round of BE.

Seems pretty intelligent to me.

« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2011, 12:20:04 PM »
Alright guys I know I'm guilty too but this is Phil Greene's thread if you guys want to debate who messed up the program more Jarvis or Norm let me know and I will split the topic

Agree....  Let's get this thread back on topic.

Poison

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2011, 12:59:59 PM »
I think Greene's commitment sends a strong message to Chicago's high school basketball players. I can't remember the last time we landed a good recruit from the windy city. Things have changed, the better players come from outside of NY now. Our presence in Chicago could lead to the next D Wade.

crgreen

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2011, 02:09:01 PM »
I think Greene's commitment sends a strong message to Chicago's high school basketball players. I can't remember the last time we landed a good recruit from the windy city. Things have changed, the better players come from outside of NY now. Our presence in Chicago could lead to the next D Wade.

Wonder how much having Keady on the bench helps with Chicago recruiting.  Gene used to drive the 120 miles up from Lafayette every year and poach 1 or 2 Windy City kids for Purdue....Gene only left Purdue in 2005 - the kids coming out now were middle schoolers back then - he still has a lot of gravitas with the midwest kids.  Probably another 3 or 4 years worht of recruits will remember him and his teams from their grade school days of following college hoops.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:10:44 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2011, 05:09:02 PM »
http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081111aaa.html

Interview with Phil Greene.

Says Malik Stith is showing them the ropes in the workouts.

Called D'Angelo Harrison the "head of operations". Says he's really hard working and is pushing everybody to work harder. Love it.

Describes himself as a pass-first guard first and foremost.

Marillac

« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2011, 05:28:49 PM »

Called D'Angelo Harrison the "head of operations". Says he's really hard working and is pushing everybody to work harder. Love it.

He's going to be our most athletic guard by a mile.  New Stith video up as well.  He says the new kids are very confident and have high expectations for this season....and he doesn't want to burst their bubbles but the Big East is tough and they will have their downs. 

Called them gym rats.  You have to love that because that is coming from the hardest worker on last year's squad. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:29:32 PM by Marillac »

redslope

« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2011, 10:40:27 PM »
thanks for the link to the video.  i don't know how strong Phil is yet but he looked like he was wearing football shoulder pads in the interview.

MCNPA

« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2011, 10:51:33 PM »

He's going to be our most athletic guard by a mile.  New Stith video up as well.  He says the new kids are very confident and have high expectations for this season....and he doesn't want to burst their bubbles but the Big East is tough and they will have their downs. 

Called them gym rats.  You have to love that because that is coming from the hardest worker on last year's squad.

Not sure why you say that?  Heard Nuri is real athletic as well.  D'Angelo might not be a speed demon, but is no slouch.  Amir can play guard as well.

« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2011, 11:13:02 PM »
Rajon Rondo with a jump shot...clearly looking to be a PG with the pass first point guard comment.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

crgreen

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2011, 05:15:40 AM »
Two takes:  Loved his comment on Mean Streets "not like most AAU teams, more like HS" in terms of coaching and prep - good to see SOME kids GET the difference!

2nd:  How the heck does a truly athletic kid who puts up 24pts 6 asssts for a program  like IMG as a senior and played for an AAU squad like Mean Streets go so underrecruited??????

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »
Two takes:  Loved his comment on Mean Streets "not like most AAU teams, more like HS" in terms of coaching and prep - good to see SOME kids GET the difference!

2nd:  How the heck does a truly athletic kid who puts up 24pts 6 asssts for a program  like IMG as a senior and played for an AAU squad like Mean Streets go so underrecruited??????
Greene was good for Meanstreets, but others were better.  Anthony Davis was on that squad, I believe, and I don't think he was ranked before last summer; Mean Streets could have just been a squad that a lot of high major coaches didn't watch all that closely.  Also, Greene is very, very skinny.

We'll see what this all means on the court this season.

MCNPA

« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2011, 04:23:28 PM »

Greene was good for Meanstreets, but others were better.  Anthony Davis was on that squad, I believe, and I don't think he was ranked before last summer; Mean Streets could have just been a squad that a lot of high major coaches didn't watch all that closely.  Also, Greene is very, very skinny.

To score 24/6 per game and go unnoticed is pretty crazy though.  Even if youre not watching, you notice 24/game.  This is at img nonetheless, which plays against a lot of top talent and has some great talent there. Mdont get me wrong, I think it is great that few know about this kid.  He's got a nice looking stroke and I think he'll be good for us as a lead guard as well.  Lavin and co. Knew they wanted him right out of the gate.  A good sign. 

« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »
Not that it matters(I think he'll get his minutes), but does Greene have a shot at the starting PG position?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2011, 04:07:04 PM »

To score 24/6 per game and go unnoticed is pretty crazy though.  Even if youre not watching, you notice 24/game.  This is at img nonetheless, which plays against a lot of top talent and has some great talent there. Mdont get me wrong, I think it is great that few know about this kid.  He's got a nice looking stroke and I think he'll be good for us as a lead guard as well.  Lavin and co. Knew they wanted him right out of the gate.  A good sign. 
But that's the thing - he went to IMG and THEN got noticed. When he was in Chicago, his suitors were all mid major schools. I think he was decent for Meanstreets (that summer he was shooting well at EYBL), maybe the other Chicago names just got more attention? I don't know. I don't know that Meanstreets had recruiters' attention as much as other programs like Mac Irvin Fire did.

« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2011, 11:36:58 PM »
Jon Rothstein
St. John's coach Steve Lavin said freshman guard Phil Greene has been impressive in workouts. Could be an underrated member of 1st-yr class.

MCNPA

« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2011, 07:30:14 AM »
Jon Rothstein
St. John's coach Steve Lavin said freshman guard Phil Greene has been impressive in workouts. Could be an underrated member of 1st-yr class.

I think our guard situation entering the season is pretty solid, with Nuri, d'angelo, Greene and Stith.  We're real thin in the front court which is the problem.  we'll be playing 3-guard sets a LOT this season with Nuri, Greene and Harrison getting tons of minutes on the court at the same time.

« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2011, 09:47:34 AM »
Jon Rothstein

Lav's said this about Hardy last year and he was spot on.  Expect Greene to be a major contributor.

« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »
Jon Rothstein

Lav's said this about Hardy last year and he was spot on.  Expect Greene to be a major contributor.

Greene has no choice but to be a major contributor