Phillip Greene - G - IMG Academy - Chicago, IL - ST. JOHN'S

• 153 replies

Marillac

Re: Phillip Greene - G - IMG Academy - Chicago, IL - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2011, 07:21:58 PM »
I expect to see Greene starting at the three before long if we don't any of the three ineligible players qualified.  Not the tallest listed guard we have, but he looks really long and he is certainly the bounciest and fleetest afoot.

Anyody else notice that Harrison looks pretty jacked?  Impressive for an 18 year old guard. 

MCNPA

« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »
Jon Rothstein
St. John's coach Steve Lavin said freshman guard Phil Greene has been impressive in workouts. Could be an underrated member of 1st-yr class.

Lav's said this about Hardy last year and he was spot on.  Expect Greene to be a major contributor.

Greene has no choice but to be a major contributor

I think he means a major contributor not just minutes-wise, but impact-wise.

« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2011, 08:06:38 PM »
I expect to see Greene starting at the three before long if we don't any of the three ineligible players qualified.  Not the tallest listed guard we have, but he looks really long and he is certainly the bounciest and fleetest afoot.

Anyody else notice that Harrison looks pretty jacked?  Impressive for an 18 year old guard. 

I get the strong/sturdy vibe from harrison.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LJSA

« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2011, 09:16:55 PM »
He had great stats last year, and everyone who has seen him lately has come away impressed, so I'm actually expecting a lot from him. And even if he's not ready, all the minutes he gets this year will make him a super soph.

Take whatever ppg you had in your head for him this year when everyone was expected to be eligible, and go ahead and double them.

Poison

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2011, 11:50:11 PM »
He can start at the 4

Moose

« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2011, 12:13:14 AM »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2011, 07:19:20 PM »
Jon Rothstein
St. John's coach Steve Lavin said freshman guard Phil Greene has been impressive in workouts. Could be an underrated member of 1st-yr class.

Lav's said this about Hardy last year and he was spot on.  Expect Greene to be a major contributor.

Why? What about the numerous walk ons we will have. Coach Lavs says he is looking for a few Rudys this season. :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:20:31 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2011, 10:08:21 AM »
Jon Rothstein

Why? What about the numerous walk ons we will have. Coach Lavs says he is looking for a few Rudys this season. :)
Walk ons are a must - gotta have a back up plan for those one or two crazy games when things go wrong.  Lavs will add 2-4 walk ons.  Terps just did it being undermanned.  Both my teams are going to be scrapping like crazy this season.  By the end of the year, the Frosh will benefit greatly - it is a good thing too.

Marillac

« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
Jon Rothstein

Walk ons are a must - gotta have a back up plan for those one or two crazy games when things go wrong.  Lavs will add 2-4 walk ons.  Terps just did it being undermanned.  Both my teams are going to be scrapping like crazy this season.  By the end of the year, the Frosh will benefit greatly - it is a good thing too.

I think the range will be much higher than two to four walkons!  I think we are looking at four as a minimum. 
That transfer from LIU might end up being a lifesaver at 6'4.  I imagine there will be points he has to see time at the four. 

It's interesting that we are actually going to start a bigger team than last year.  GG is 6'9 240 and that is much bigger than JB2.  Harkless is 6'8 210 and that is bigger than Polee.  The problem is the next wave.  Who else can play center?  Hahaha could be fun to watch. 

Moose

« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »
Jon Rothstein

I think the range will be much higher than two to four walkons!  I think we are looking at four as a minimum. 
That transfer from LIU might end up being a lifesaver at 6'4.  I imagine there will be points he has to see time at the four. 

It's interesting that we are actually going to start a bigger team than last year.  GG is 6'9 240 and that is much bigger than JB2.  Harkless is 6'8 210 and that is bigger than Polee.  The problem is the next wave.  Who else can play center?  Hahaha could be fun to watch. 

Come on.  Jamal White will NOT see time at the 4.  Did you see him last year?

« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2011, 12:14:51 PM »
Jon Rothstein

I've also heard Gift isn't close to 6'9.  In every picture Moe is towering over him.

Marillac

« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »
Jon Rothstein

Then who will, Moose?  After Mo and GG, the next tallest player we have is 6'5 Dom Pointer who will have to see time at both PF and C.  GG can't play 40 mpg. 

« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
This team will have to be a run-n-gun type. It will be fun to watch.

« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2011, 12:47:33 PM »
This team will have to be a run-n-gun type. It will be fun to watch.

Hard to run 40 wit 7.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2011, 12:48:38 PM »
Jon Rothstein

Then who will, Moose?  After Mo and GG, the next tallest player we have is 6'5 Dom Pointer who will have to see time at both PF and C.  GG can't play 40 mpg. 

I dont know.  But I'm not throw a walk on to the mix.  Dom will see PF time because he can rebound well.  Jamal White though will not be the answer at 4.

« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2011, 01:12:56 PM »
I dont know.  But I'm not throw a walk on to the mix.  Dom will see PF time because he can rebound well.  Jamal White though will not be the answer at 4.

I see a lotta Willie Glass in this brother.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2011, 01:28:01 PM »
Jon Rothstein

Now that I looked again at the roster, you're probably correct with the 4 minimum.  I was thinking that the staff wouldn't just want to add 4 more 6' to 6'4" guards, but rather hopefully find some bigger players.  UMD did just that since they have 6'7" and 6'8" walk ons coming in.  But with a smaller student body, that will be difficult to come by - hence my reasoning w/ 4 being the ceiling.  But if the staff can get more than 4 for those games where fouls become a huge issue (and it should happen at least once, no matter how careful and fundamental the guys play D), then I'll now believe they'll do it.  Too bad there's no football team players to call on either.  That can be a boon in seasons like this.

Marillac

« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2011, 02:18:36 PM »
Jon Rothstein

Now that I looked again at the roster, you're probably correct with the 4 minimum.  I was thinking that the staff wouldn't just want to add 4 more 6' to 6'4" guards, but rather hopefully find some bigger players.  UMD did just that since they have 6'7" and 6'8" walk ons coming in.  But with a smaller student body, that will be difficult to come by - hence my reasoning w/ 4 being the ceiling.  But if the staff can get more than 4 for those games where fouls become a huge issue (and it should happen at least once, no matter how careful and fundamental the guys play D), then I'll now believe they'll do it.  Too bad there's no football team players to call on either.  That can be a boon in seasons like this.

Yeah.  I'm just thinking from a practice and drill standpoint, you really need at least 12 players.  The absolute minimum is 10 and that there are always kids injured or out for various reasons. 

Poison

« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »
Lavin is going to have to find a way to add some size because he has choice.

ras

« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2011, 06:45:48 PM »
That is why we really need Garrett in DEC.