D'Angelo Harrison - SG - Dulles High School - Fort Bend, TX - ST. JOHN'S

• 277 replies

Moose

Re: D'Angelo Harrison - SG - Dulles High School - Fort Bend, TX - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #260 on: August 30, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
Top 3 cockiest NY high school basketball players.

1. Lance
2. Sebastian
3. Cook

All are legends in their own minds. Is there a place more overrated than NYC?

Re Telfair, Yeah - those highly rated players (including an ungodly number of COLLEGIATE All Americans) NOT headed into their 8th season in the nba...I understand an ego the size of Texas, but that's actually not too bad for a 6'0 165 lb player in the modern era.

See any Telfair Jerseys in sporting goods stores? He's a bust. Like every other New York prospect, he's nothing close to the hype.

He's made a career and a nice $15 million in earnings, in addition to whatever adidas paid him out of the gate off of all that hype.  I'd say he's done pretty well for himself.
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »

1. Lance
2. Sebastian
3. Cook

Re Telfair, Yeah - those highly rated players (including an ungodly number of COLLEGIATE All Americans) NOT headed into their 8th season in the nba...I understand an ego the size of Texas, but that's actually not too bad for a 6'0 165 lb player in the modern era.

See any Telfair Jerseys in sporting goods stores? He's a bust. Like every other New York prospect, he's nothing close to the hype.

He's made a career and a nice $15 million in earnings, in addition to whatever adidas paid him out of the gate off of all that hype.  I'd say he's done pretty well for himself.

Well, I guess if your criteria is "either or" --- Star or Bust with nothing in between, he's a Bust.   But there are former Johnnies (and for me, Bruins or Hokikes)  thru the years most folks might consider successes who didn't have even the "bust" career Telfair has.  So....queue the Monkees singing "Shades of Gray"....

« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2011, 03:01:21 PM »

1. Lance
2. Sebastian
3. Cook

One of the brothers teaching an engineering class once spoke of doing and being the best we could in our profession because no one could take that away.  He then added any s-head can make money.  I say this because Telfair didn't make the most of his gifts.  He could be doing a lot more to maximize his potential.  But he has done well for himself regardless of his underperformance and imho lack of complete effort.

Moose

« Reply #263 on: August 30, 2011, 03:18:28 PM »

1. Lance
2. Sebastian
3. Cook

Well, I guess if your criteria is "either or" --- Star or Bust with nothing in between, he's a Bust.   But there are former Johnnies (and for me, Bruins or Hokikes)  thru the years most folks might consider successes who didn't have even the "bust" career Telfair has.  So....queue the Monkees singing "Shades of Gray"....

Could he have made boatloads more?  Sure.  He got as far as he wanted to.

Heck he was the 13th pick in the draft in 04 while the 14th pick was Kris Humphries.  He only recently got his career on track.  He's made $17 million oh and he married Kim Kardashian :)

Looking back on that '04 Draft the other HS'ers were Dwight Howard ($65M), Shaun Livingston ($18M) finally getting career back on track,  Robert Swift ($11M) and out of the League, Al Jefferson ($43M), Josh Smith ($38M), JR Smith ($23M), and Dorell Wright ($14M).  So they all pretty much cashed in and all are still in the League except for Swift.  What is the average length of NBA career?

« Reply #264 on: August 30, 2011, 03:28:17 PM »
 Looking back on that '04 Draft the other HS'ers were Dwight Howard ($65M), Shaun Livingston ($18M) finally getting career back on track,  Robert Swift ($11M) and out of the League, Al Jefferson ($43M), Josh Smith ($38M), JR Smith ($23M), and Dorell Wright ($14M).  So they all pretty much cashed in and all are still in the League except for Swift.  What is the average length of NBA career?
[/quote]
As of 2007-08, the avg length of a career in the NBA was 4.71 years.

« Reply #265 on: August 30, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »

1. Lance
2. Sebastian
3. Cook

Could he have made boatloads more?  Sure.  He got as far as he wanted to.

Heck he was the 13th pick in the draft in 04 while the 14th pick was Kris Humphries.  He only recently got his career on track.  He's made $17 million oh and he married Kim Kardashian :)

For those that enjoy statistical studies on career length prediction studies, check this doozy out:

http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/relationship-selected-pre-nba-career-variables-nba-players-career-longevity

Conclusion at the end of paper:

Conclusions and Recommendations:

A review of the literature shows the basketball scouting and player evaluation process leading to the NBA draft to be a difficult process and one that could benefit from more information in the form of statistical analysis. The data in the present study demonstrate that there is a relationship between collegiate play described statistically and career longevity in the NBA, as follows:

Assists, turnovers, and points recorded by guards over the year of college basketball play immediately preceding entrance into the NBA are related to NBA career longevity.

Assists, steals, turnovers, and points recorded by guards over 2 years of college basketball play immediately preceding entrance into the NBA are related to NBA career longevity.

Field goal percentage, free throw percentage, and assists recorded by forwards over the year of college basketball play immediately preceding entrance into the NBA are related to career longevity in the NBA.

Assists and rebounds recorded by forwards over 2 years of college basketball play immediately preceding entrance into the NBA are related to career longevity in the NBA.

The results of this study show a relationship between basketball’s statistics categories and NBA career longevity, but more work is needed to fully understand the predictive mechanism and provide general managers with more precise information. In addition, future studies should seek out data for the years prior to 1987–88 and following 2001–02, to begin to track historical trends in the relationship.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:32:41 PM by bball purist »

Poison

« Reply #266 on: August 30, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »

1. Lance
2. Sebastian
3. Cook

You're splitting atoms. He's a bust. There's no way around it. He's making a lot of money, AND he is still a bust. Yes, Felipe Lopez was a bust as well. And yes, there are several former Bruins, if not dozens who are also busts.

His attitude problem coupled with the ridiculous hype makes him stand out even more than players from outside NY who amounted to very little. My point was not to pick on just Sebastian. I'm talking about the entire NYC high school basketball scene, and how it is dramatically overrated.

« Reply #267 on: August 30, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »
I'm talking about the entire NYC high school basketball scene, and how it is dramatically overrated.

Okay bre. Show me another city that can run wit:

C: Alcindor
PF: Hawkins
SF: Erving
SG: Mullin
PG: Cousy

Cause all these brothers is in Springfield.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #268 on: August 30, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »
I'm talking about the entire NYC high school basketball scene, and how it is dramatically overrated.

It's 2011. Show me Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade and Lebron James. NYC has quantity, but the quality at the top is awful.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:26:38 PM by Poison »

crgreen

« Reply #269 on: August 30, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »
"It's 2011. Show me Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade and Lebron James. NYC has quantity, but the quality at the top is awful."

You're right.  With Kobe and Tony Parker, Paris IS the the King of high school hoops.   Quality at the top, but the quantity is awful....

Anyway, apparently, the board needs someone to open a "Telfair Thread"....
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:22:57 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2011, 06:34:44 PM »
Poison seems to be equating bust to the level of hype the kid receives and in those terms he would be right about NY since the hype machine in the Big Apple is always set on overdrive.

crgreen

« Reply #271 on: August 31, 2011, 04:50:37 PM »
Poison seems to be equating bust to the level of hype the kid receives and in those terms he would be right about NY since the hype machine in the Big Apple is always set on overdrive.

Would I get blown out of the water for pointing out its a localiazed machine?  Poison has a self defeating prophecy.   The hype machine is a tornado, not a national weather front - it feeds itself locally.   Here's the queston.  Telfair was hyped as the best in your area of the country.   As poison points out, NYC ain't "been all that"  for a while.   What success or failure the kid has has to be based on the competion he was rated against when the hype was created.   How many from the NY area in Telfair's era proved to BE better?

I know it seems like being #1 in NY should mean #1 everywhere.  I've hesitated mentioning that even tho the regional hype does lead to large national reputations and subsequent national hype, it's not always the same level as its percevied locally.  Would it surprise folks here know that west of the Rockies, folks considered a 6'11 PF named o'mmA Givens  out of Aberdeen High in Washington State to be the nations #1 recruit when he came out, rather than a NY kid named Felipe Lopez in the same class? And in the Midwest that year, they swore it was Mt. Carmel (IL) forward Antione Walker.   Honest to God, whatever school landed Walker was going to win the NCAA title within two years.  And did.

Anyway, hasn't this poor horse been kicked pretty much to death?

So, getting back to the Nuri thread, disappointed no one liked the Walter Brennan "cocky" clip  :'(

SJUFAN

« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »

It's 2011. Show me Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade and Lebron James. NYC has quantity, but the quality at the top is awful.

Awful?!?!?.....Ur comments are disrespectful to ball players. Telfair got drafted straight out of HS with the "hope" that he would develop into something more than he has been but the fact that he did not live up to the "hope" does not make him a bust. Telfair is still in the league, and has remained in the league for 7 years. How many ball players can say that? Do you know the work that any sub 6 foot tall player has to do to accomplish what he has done? He's not a bust...Lenny Cooke is another story. 

Marillac

« Reply #273 on: September 02, 2011, 06:51:17 PM »
Split this thread. Harrison is as good looking of a scoring prospect as I've seen in a while.  I can't see this kid not making 1st team all-Big East twice and becoming our next All-American.  It is very tough for me to temper my expectations for him. He'll score 40 at some point.

crgreen

« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2011, 10:34:41 PM »
PERCEPTIONS....

Read in sevaral assorted threads that folks think evenutally D'Angelo will get his shooting together much like Hardy did last year.

Interesting tho - Buckets hit 35% from 3 for us last season.   D'Angelo is currently at 38%   Hope this doesn't mean fans hope he shoots WORSE the rest of the year in order to match up!  :)

Marillac

21 pts 5 boards 3 assists 3 steals in his first All-Star game with all top 75 talent.  Nice to see three Johnnies start in the East-West game and Pointer start and fill it up in the North-South game.

I've heard defense is sometimes an issue for him, but he looked like he was trying pretty hard on that end in an All-Star game where nobody usually plays D.  His shot release is PURE and he gets his shot off in an instant...one of the quickest releases I've ever seen.  He can hit them in rhythm or off the bounce or from a standstill.  The only negative I could possibly see is that he has a slight fadeaway, but his superior hand-eye coordination and pure release makes that almost a non-issue.

He looks YOUNG and looks closer to 6'1 than 6'3, but that doesn't matter at the college level.  Both him and Harkless take awesome angles to the offensive glass and they just know how to play the game.  He'll be a big-time rebounder for us at the guard spot.

I also loved how he took the ball to the hole against a HUGE center and sought out the contact and got a shot up after.  He didn't try to elude the big man...took it right at him, beat him to the spot....forced the foul.   He played some point and looks like he's even more capable than either Hardy or Nuri there, but we'll certainly need both him and Nuri/Greene to really excel there next year. 

He's going to score 50 for us as some point.  He has too good of a deep shot, he's too good at drawing contact and getting to the line, and he has a midrange game with a scorer's edge that even makes Nuri look reluctant. 

Maybe 50 was a stretch, but I'm confident he scores 40 at least once.  Good to see Marillac all over this one ;)

Moose

21 pts 5 boards 3 assists 3 steals in his first All-Star game with all top 75 talent.  Nice to see three Johnnies start in the East-West game and Pointer start and fill it up in the North-South game.

I've heard defense is sometimes an issue for him, but he looked like he was trying pretty hard on that end in an All-Star game where nobody usually plays D.  His shot release is PURE and he gets his shot off in an instant...one of the quickest releases I've ever seen.  He can hit them in rhythm or off the bounce or from a standstill.  The only negative I could possibly see is that he has a slight fadeaway, but his superior hand-eye coordination and pure release makes that almost a non-issue.

He looks YOUNG and looks closer to 6'1 than 6'3, but that doesn't matter at the college level.  Both him and Harkless take awesome angles to the offensive glass and they just know how to play the game.  He'll be a big-time rebounder for us at the guard spot.

I also loved how he took the ball to the hole against a HUGE center and sought out the contact and got a shot up after.  He didn't try to elude the big man...took it right at him, beat him to the spot....forced the foul.   He played some point and looks like he's even more capable than either Hardy or Nuri there, but we'll certainly need both him and Nuri/Greene to really excel there next year. 

He's going to score 50 for us as some point.  He has too good of a deep shot, he's too good at drawing contact and getting to the line, and he has a midrange game with a scorer's edge that even makes Nuri look reluctant. 

Maybe 50 was a stretch, but I'm confident he scores 40 at least once.  Good to see Marillac all over this one ;)

Things that boring in South Florida that you are digging up old posts to pat yourself on the back :)

Why not put it in the main forum since its a current player to really stroke your ego ;)

Marillac

Things that boring in South Florida that you are digging up old posts to pat yourself on the back :)

Why not put it in the main forum since its a current player to really stroke your ego ;)

LOL I don't want to overdo it ;) 

I think the one player I missed on really bad was Larry Wright.  That was a different time, though, and I was just looking for anything to put some hope in.  I still find it hard to believe he didn't do better.