Dom Pointer -SF- Quality Education Academy - Detroit, MI - ST. JOHN'S

• 207 replies
Re: Dom Pointer -SF- Quality Education Academy - Detroit, MI - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2011, 11:42:45 AM »
Wow

Moose

« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »
He has no stop button.  Its Go at full strength all the time.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2011, 12:40:49 PM »
I feel sorry for the rest of the Big East !

jayro

« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2011, 02:05:18 PM »
Thanks for the great video mix.

crgreen

« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »
Don't know how good the competition, was, but they each had two legs, two arms and 2 hands ---- his ball security thru traffic to the rim is REALLy impressive...he shows NO fear finding a lane and driving thru multiple defenders...

Withe Pelle, Achiuwa, Polee, Garret, Harkless, Sampson and Pointer there's going to be an iron net around the rim at the defensive end this season.   In the North/South all-star game at the final four, SirDom's timing on his blocks (even the two he barely missed getting) was impressive.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 05:49:17 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2011, 06:33:47 AM »
The kid appears to be an improved version of DJ Kennedy which is a large statement in and of itself.
Kennedy came in ranked 126 in his class and was a very good 4 year player. Sir DP looks to be real good andperhaps could give us close to 10 points per game as a freshman.

MCNPA

« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »
The kid appears to be an improved version of DJ Kennedy which is a large statement in and of itself.
Kennedy came in ranked 126 in his class and was a very good 4 year player. Sir DP looks to be real good andperhaps could give us close to 10 points per game as a freshman.

On top of that, at his height and tweaked size, he seems like he could be a monster 3 or 4 year player.  Agree that he has a litle DJ in him although much quicker and more explosive.  He"ll be a gamer from the first whistle at both ends of the floor.  With the guys we have coming in, I don't think our youth will hurt us as much as some think.  Some real tough and savvy player coming in like Pointer.

« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »

I see djay in Amir
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

crgreen

« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »

I see djay in Amir

Only saw Amir in the clips, and 2 of Findlay's televised games, but the player that came to mind when I saw him was (and it pains a UCLA fan to throw out the name of USC's current women's coach) former Laker Michael Cooper.  Defense, hops, hands, quickness, speed, as much talent as anyone on the court, yet the same willingness as Coop to play 2nd fiddle for the good of the team...

« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »

I see djay in Amir

Only saw Amir in the clips, and 2 of Findlay's televised games, but the player that came to mind when I saw him was (and it pains a UCLA fan to throw out the name of USC's current women's coach) former Laker Michael Cooper.  Defense, hops, hands, quickness, speed, as much talent as anyone on the court, yet the same willingness as Coop to play 2nd fiddle for the good of the team...

Matchup zone will cause MAJOR problems for any team next season...then again, man to man will cause major problems!

« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »
Matchup zone will cause MAJOR problems for any team next season

My thinking, as well.

« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....  Pointer was considered one of the "biggest surprises in the 2011 class," according to one of the ESPN recruitniks.

John Stovall: Dom Pointer (Roseville, Mich./Quality Education Academy) is someone who was known in Michigan before transferring to Quality Education Academy to finish his career and got a little lost in the shuffle. He played this past summer with the Detroit Family travel team and his life will never be the same. The St. John's signee had a great spring and showed added offensive ability. Pointer was always a great athlete and played hard, but now he can score and shoot with some consistency. During his coming out party, the Peach Jam in July, he scored the ball, was a monster in transition and showed he was one of the best defenders in the country (even practically shutting down Austin Rivers). Pointer rode that weekend and went from relative unknown to one of the top 50 players in the country.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6526364

derk

« Reply #172 on: May 20, 2011, 01:26:55 PM »

On top of that, at his height and tweaked size, he seems like he could be a monster 3 or 4 year player.  Agree that he has a litle DJ in him although much quicker and more explosive.  He"ll be a gamer from the first whistle at both ends of the floor.  With the guys we have coming in, I don't think our youth will hurt us as much as some think.  Some real tough and savvy player coming in like Pointer.

A kid like this and our other athletes give us an opportunity to play in a manner that is so different from the usual style expected of previous St John's teams. The league had us pegged for many years with a certain style. Even though the staff gave an inkling of the new SJU strategy last year, those guys were no way near as talented as these guys. This is going to be so much fun.

derk

« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2011, 01:35:24 PM »
Best part of that tape was the ending when it said

SIR DOMINICK POINTER 
  ST. JOHN'S RED STORM ;D

SJUFAN

« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »
For those of you who haven't seen this yet, Mr. Sampson meet Sir Dominic Pointer!

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2011/5/23/2186198/afternoon-rumble-is8-championship-pointer-dunk-big-east-meetings

MCNPA

« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2011, 04:34:06 PM »
I believe I read somewhere, when Pointer was asked about the dunk by a reporter he said: "welcome to St. Johns". I thought it was classic.  Dom has got great personality and drive.  He gets consistent with his jumper and handle, and it's lights- out for a lot of teams.

MCNPA

« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2011, 02:55:54 PM »
Sir'Dom and Phil greene tweeting they are on their way to NYC.

« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2011, 06:25:40 PM »
Sir'Dom and Phil greene tweeting they are on their way to NYC.
what's greene's twitter?

« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »
philgreene31

lihoop

« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2011, 12:19:22 AM »
Welcome to NYC, let's make some history fellas