Dwight Meikle - PF - Quality Education - Uniondale, N.Y. - HAMPTON

• 67 replies
This was just released, came out of no where.

Dwight Meikle · F · 6-9 · 185 · Fr.-H.S. · Uniondale, N.Y. (Quality Education Academy, (N.C)

Friday, Nov. 16, 2010 – 11:30 a.m.

"Dwight is a New York native returning home. He is a long, highly-skilled athlete who really shoots it well for his size," said Lavin. "His versatility and ability to play the power and small forward positions make him a great fit for the future of our program, in terms of our game-planning."

Meikle is an extremely-skilled forward and his perimeter game makes him a matchup nightmare for opponents. He utilizes his long frame and athleticism as an imposing shot blocker who can swing the momentum of a game with one dominating swat. Through five games in 2010-11, Meikle is averaging 13.2 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.2 blocks for Quality Education Academy where he is teammates with fellow St. John’s recruit Sir’Dominic Pointer. His coach at Quality Education Academy is Isaac Pitts.

“He’s a matchup problem for everybody he faces because of his length and ability to stretch defenses with the 3-ball,” Pitts said. “He’s very skilled and athletic.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwight committed to Coach Lav while he was "walking the yard" at Alcatraz. St. John's discovered him when recruiting Dom Pointer.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 05:25:33 PM by kjd01067 »

Re: Dwight Meikle, JUCO Forward from NY commits to St. John's
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:30:49 PM »
Is he a Juco? Says he plays at Pointers HS.

Re: Dwight Meikle, JUCO Forward from NY commits to St. John's
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »
He is not a JUCO, i misread a title.

Re: Dwight Meikle, Forward from NY commits to St. John's
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:35:06 PM »
fixed the title, sry for the confusion

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:39:15 PM »
Anyone know anything about this guy?

He's a 2-star on ESPN.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:42:10 PM by Mparty7441 »

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »

NP...this guy a 2011 or 2012?

Obvioulsy i have no idea but you have to trust Lavin.  More size, another athlete, versitile, New Yorker and hopefully an inroad developing to Quality Education

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 02:46:56 PM »
he is 2011

He is Dom Pointers room mate.

Meikle was ready to commit to St. John's strictly on the word of Pointer, but Lavin insisted him see the campus. And he committed to Lavin as they were taking their tour of Alcatraz.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 03:03:41 PM »
i can't believe someone actually fell off jungle johnny's radar.  great job, pinstr1pz with the quick info.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 03:08:12 PM »
thanks newsman13

It seems like no one knew about this

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 03:11:57 PM »
PER ZAGS BLOG-

“Yes, he committed before he ever visited,” Quality Education coach  Isaac Pitts said by phone. “He was familiar with St. John’s from being born there [in New York]. Dom Pointer committed and that’s his roommate. He knew a lot about it. Sometimes it’s players recruiting players.”

Pitts said Meikle chose the Johnnies over Seton Hall and Rice.

“I kind of felt like he was going to go to Seton Hall,” Pitts said. “I guess when Dominic committed and signed, they’re really good friends.”

Pitts said Meikle can help the Johnnies in the frontcourt with his skill-set. He’s averaging 17.5 points and eight rebounds as the team is off to a 5-0 start.

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 03:13:11 PM »

Obvioulsy i have no idea but you have to trust Lavin.  More size, another athlete, versitile, New Yorker and hopefully an inroad developing to Quality Education
Now 2011, should've been 2010

Frankly, I thought he was better suited to be an upper-echelon mid-major player. He ran with the Georgia Elite. He transferred into Pitts' program from Southwest DeKalb (an Atlanta area school). After this year, I'd rather not have anything to do with QEA.

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 03:20:14 PM »

Now 2011, should've been 2010

Frankly, I thought he was better suited to be an upper-echelon mid-major player. He ran with the Georgia Elite. He transferred into Pitts' program from Southwest DeKalb (an Atlanta area school). After this year, I'd rather not have anything to do with QEA.

Thanks for the info.  Are there some ethical concerns with the school or coach?

Re: Dwight Meikle - PF - Quality Education - Uniondale, N.Y. - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 03:22:18 PM »
This is out of the blue.  Does anyone know anything about him?

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »
Kid has no profile at all on Scout,
and is ranked mid-major level on ESPN.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/104004

Is he that underrated ?
ESPN has him @ 6'6" but SJU press release & QE HS website says 6'9"

Sounds like his game & height have grown the last year.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 03:56:56 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Poison

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 03:56:32 PM »
Has anyone seen Dwight Meikle play? How good is he?

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »
I didn't think we would get 10 elite recruits, so if the staff sees something in this kid that they can work with, then so be it.  I'm sure they know what they are doing.

gonzalo

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 04:46:40 PM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-1116/st-johns-adds-seventh-member-of-2011-recruiting-class-with-dwight-meikle/

ST. JOHN’S ADDS SEVENTH MEMBER OF 2011 RECRUITING CLASS WITH DWIGHT MEIKLE

November 16, 2010 by NBE Blogger

BY JEFF BORZELLO

Steve Lavin has made waves in the recruiting world by picking up highly-ranked recruits from across the country before even coaching a game for St. John’s.

Well, despite the Red Storm’s loss last night to Saint Mary’s, Lavin did not miss a beat on the recruiting trail, picking up yet another commitment today.

This pledge comes from Dwight Meikle, an under-the-radar prospect from Quality Education Academy (N.C.). Meikle, a 6-foot-9 forward, is fellow Red Storm signee Sir’Dominic Pointer’s roommate.

“He was all geared up to go to Seton Hall, to be honest, but players recruit players,” QEA coach Isaac Pitts said. “With him and Dominic being roommates, I guess they got to talking.”

Not many people saw this commitment coming, but Pitts said the relationship between Lavin and Meikle had been developing for a while.

“Coach Lavin came down to see him, and loved him right away,” Pitts said. “They saw him and offered him on the spot. They knew what they were doing.”

When Meikle took a trip to the Queens campus, it basically solidified the deal for him.

“He loved the campus and the atmosphere,” Pitts said.” I think he saw it as a quiet place, sort of like our school, with small classrooms and a family atmosphere. He said, ‘This is the place for me.’”

According to Pitts, Meikle is a face-up four who can stretch the defense with his shooting ability. He is also athletic and can handle the ball well for a player his size. Overall, he seems like a match-up problem.

Meikle chose the Red Storm over Seton Hall and Rice, with Alabama, Georgia State, Appalachian State and VCU also in the mix.

Meikle flew under the radar nationally last season, coming off the bench for a supremely talented Quality Education squad. The frontcourt was comprised of Juvonte Reddic (VCU), Aaron Bowen (Georgetown) and Quincy Miller (Baylor), while Stargell Love (Baylor) manned the point.

“We were loaded last year,” Pitts said. “So he didn’t get on the floor, playing behind guys like that.”

He began to get some attention this summer, but he was still not getting much high-major attention. That all changed when Lavin came to QEA.

“When you see him, you’re going to have the same reaction Steve Lavin did: ‘Wow, how did his happen?’” Pitts said. “He’s that good.

“I think he’s a five-star kid. He slipped under the radar. For whatever reason, people weren’t able to see him play.”

Meikle, an Atlanta native who lives on Long Island, is the seventh member of the St. John’s recruiting class, joining Pointer, Nurideen Lindsey, D’Angelo Harrison, Maurice Harkless, Norvel Pelle and JaKarr Sampson.

Pitts said Meikle’s impact would be on par with the more highly-touted prospects St. John’s is bringing in.

“He’s going to make an immediate impact with Lavin bringing in 10 scholarship players,” Pitts said. “He’s no different than the other guys, except for the rankings. He’s going to make a major impact in coach Lavin’s program.

“This is unbelievable, how good he is.”

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »
Never heard of this kid and I've been asking around unsuccessfully. NTSG seems to be the only person to know who he is.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 05:00:54 PM »
He's a forward; I approve (as long as the staff gets a JUCO or two up front as well).

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 05:57:05 PM »
He's a forward; I approve (as long as the staff gets a JUCO or two up front as well).

We need some beef bad !
As of now our  bigs next year are all 195-205 lbs.
I was hoping to save 2 for next year (Jevon + one extra)
But if he's really 6'9" ...he's same size & weight as Achuiwa with more offensive skill ?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:00:08 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71