Beejay Anya - PF - Dematha HS - Hyattsville, Md - NC STATE

• 50 replies

Moose

Re: Beejay Anya - PF - Dematha HS - Hyattsville, Md
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 11:30:47 AM »
If there is a room for a big man in 2013 this would be the kid I would love to get.

He should be the Kyle/Gathers of our 2013 class.  After that I can't really say what we might need.  A lot depends on who leaves early but no question I would throw the kitchen sink at Anya.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 11:45:09 AM »
If there is a room for a big man in 2013 this would be the kid I would love to get.

He should be the Kyle/Gathers of our 2013 class.  After that I can't really say what we might need.  A lot depends on who leaves early but no question I would throw the kitchen sink at Anya.
Anya's offensive skills were improving greatly at the end of last year.  He's already formidable down low, and does not let up.  I really, really want either Lavs or Turgeon to beat out JT3 and Wright.  From the recent interviews, I hope Nate Britt comes to College Park via Dalonte Hall and BeeJay follows or decides the NYC spotlight is for him.  Britt played really well at the NBA100.  I believe SJ's and MD's the best fit for him as GTown and Villanova are stocked enough down low. 

In addition, I think Wright has been developing his guards much more than his big men for obvious reasons. 

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:45:52 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
I seem to see Rutgers tagging along on our recruits hoping, I guess, to pick off any recruits who might have an interest in the NYC area and BE ball.

Not the case. Assistant Coach David Cox is deeply rooted in the DMV (DC, Maryland, VA). Remember he used to coach at Georgetown. Cox has strong ties with DC Assault program (Anya plays for DC Team Takeover though)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »

Anya's offensive skills were improving greatly at the end of last year.  He's already formidable down low, and does not let up.  I really, really want either Lavs or Turgeon to beat out JT3 and Wright.  From the recent interviews, I hope Nate Britt comes to College Park via Dalonte Hall and BeeJay follows or decides the NYC spotlight is for him.  Britt played really well at the NBA100.  I believe SJ's and MD's the best fit for him as GTown and Villanova are stocked enough down low. 

In addition, I think Wright has been developing his guards much more than his big men for obvious reasons. 

But these last few articles on Britt don't have STJ listed. 

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »

I've talked with both of these players (both have good personalities too) a lot over the past few months. SJ has a much better chance with the big fella, but he's in no rush.

He's still got to drop a lot of that body fat. Against the elite athletes this weekend, he struggled with his conditioning and relative lack of explosion, but he's got time.

Nate's a DCA lifer and SC transplant Kris Jenkins lives with him. He said S.Hall was after the whole trio (D.J. Fenner, who's dad played WR in the NFL, included). Nate's dad, Nate, Sr., is a serious guy (a rarity among fathers of elite players), who is a detective in the financial crimes unit of the WPD.

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
I seem to see Rutgers tagging along on our recruits hoping, I guess, to pick off any recruits who might have an interest in the NYC area and BE ball.

Not the case. Assistant Coach David Cox is deeply rooted in the DMV (DC, Maryland, VA). Remember he used to coach at Georgetown. Cox has strong ties with DC Assault program (Anya plays for DC Team Takeover though)
Then, it actually may shape up as a nice battle between Dalonte Hill and Cox.  I still think that the Storm and Terps can get BeeJay more PT early on.

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 02:31:38 PM »

I've talked with both of these players (both have good personalities too) a lot over the past few months. SJ has a much better chance with the big fella, but he's in no rush.

He's still got to drop a lot of that body fat. Against the elite athletes this weekend, he struggled with his conditioning and relative lack of explosion, but he's got time.

Nate's a DCA lifer and SC transplant Kris Jenkins lives with him. He said S.Hall was after the whole trio (D.J. Fenner, who's dad played WR in the NFL, included). Nate's dad, Nate, Sr., is a serious guy (a rarity among fathers of elite players), who is a detective in the financial crimes unit of the WPD.

I agree with most of this. Anya only plays in spurts due to conditioning for both Dematha and Takeover. He's mentioned STJ a few times. He's a big dude, always will be, ala the Glen Davis mold. I haven't met his father but his mother is a big lady too she's got to be pushing 5'11-6'

Nate Britt Sr. is my dude. Always love talking with him, he's one of the best people I've met this past year. Nate Britt Jr. is a cool dude too but I don't see him coming up north unless there is some major DC Assault package to Rutgers because of Cox but I don't even see that happening.

Kris Jenkins is a great kid too.  I really want to see him do well he's been battling some nagging injuries this spring but he is going to shoot up the ranks next year. I wish they'd play him on the 17's for DC Assault.

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »

I agree with most of this. Anya only plays in spurts due to conditioning for both Dematha and Takeover. He's mentioned STJ a few times. He's a big dude, always will be, ala the Glen Davis mold. I haven't met his father but his mother is a big lady too she's got to be pushing 5'11-6'

Nate Britt Sr. is my dude. Always love talking with him, he's one of the best people I've met this past year. Nate Britt Jr. is a cool dude too but I don't see him coming up north unless there is some major DC Assault package to Rutgers because of Cox but I don't even see that happening.

Kris Jenkins is a great kid too.  I really want to see him do well he's been battling some nagging injuries this spring but he is going to shoot up the ranks next year. I wish they'd play him on the 17's for DC Assault.
So Dave, based on what you know, it seems like Britt is most likely to go to GTown or MD.  I'd sure love to have Dalonte Hill beat out JT3's staff this time.  It's about time MD takes its share of local AAU guys.

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 02:28:45 PM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0626/beejay-anya-establishing-himself-in-13-ucla-visit-impressed-young-big-man/

In terms of recruiting, Anya is wide open now, though he did indicated BIG EAST institutions Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Georgetown, South Florida and St. John’s have offered, joining Texas, Ohio State, Florida State, NC State and Virginia Tech in that regard. Many others are involved.

While trying out for a USA Basketball travel team in Los Angeles, Anya had the opportunity to tour UCLA. Clearly, the Bruins are now a significant player in his recruitment: “UCLA – great school. They have a beautiful campus…it’s beautiful. And when I felt when I went there the coaches were very nice and respectful; my mother was with me. They just showed me around and

NYCoffey

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »
He still mentions us up until last week, Albeit amongst a lot of other big programs. We need a big and we're still in the mix so that's good.

http://www.uconnball.com/content/uconn-recruiting-2013-center-beejay-anya-247/

Natale: What schools are recruiting you right now?
Anya: There are a lot of schools. Memphis, Syracuse, Kansas, UCLA, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Georgetown, Indiana, North Carolina, Duke, UConn, Rutgers, St. John’s, Florida, Florida State, Louisville, Arizona, Alabama and Ohio State.

NYCoffey

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »
Beejay Anya, C- Even though he only measures in at about 6- 8, the junior is able to play much bigger than that because of his 7-foot-5 wingspan and 9-foot-3 standing reach. He's dropped almost 40 pounds since June and the results are evident as he's quicker off the floor and faster from end to end. He blocked a lot of shots and attacked rebounds at the rim during a nice weekend outing.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1280186

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 10:59:34 AM »
Lost 40lbs, stamina has improved greatly, and he's going to be a big time riser in his class rankings.

Went up against Syracuse bound DaJuan Coleman and was clearly the superior player inside the paint.

His recruitment is wide open and said he isn't going to focus on that until the summer.

Moose

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
Lost 40lbs, stamina has improved greatly, and he's going to be a big time riser in his class rankings.

Went up against Syracuse bound DaJuan Coleman and was clearly the superior player inside the paint.

His recruitment is wide open and said he isn't going to focus on that until the summer.

Recent articles have mentioned double digits of schools but not us.  You think we still have a shot?

Chilleb

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 04:12:19 PM »

Was he bigger than Dejuan? A lot of news on him focuses on his long reach over his height.

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 11:44:31 AM »

Was he bigger than Dejuan? A lot of news on him focuses on his long reach over his height.

Na DaJuan is a monster. He looks like shrek but I think he's kind of soft. Has a little bit of Sean Evans disease.

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »

Recent articles have mentioned double digits of schools but not us.  You think we still have a shot?

Really not sure. Rico has some relationships in DC area but I wouldn't classify them as strong as others that this staff has. I know that Dunlap really likes Anya

Chilleb

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »

Na DaJuan is a monster. He looks like shrek but I think he's kind of soft. Has a little bit of Sean Evans disease.

Ha, funny you say that you'd think he'd have a monster game with the genes he has.

Moose

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »