SJU - Miami. Just got back from game - my thoughts

• 24 replies
SJU - Miami. Just got back from game - my thoughts
« on: December 02, 2007, 09:51:04 PM »
I was very disappointed with the way we came out to start the 2nd half.  I like Norm a lot, but I think it was painfully obvious that he got outcoached (and Frank Haith is no Dean Smith).  They made a nice little come back to tie the game heading into the half but they came out flat and unprepared for the 2nd half..  Having said that, I know that we have a lot of freshman and that it is not going to be easy to have them prepared to play at a high level right away.  There were a few times when we had nothing but frshman on the court.  To be honest, thery didn't look that bad playing together and it made me excited about how good they are going to be in 2 years, but back to the game....

Justin - I know that he is a great player and has the body to be really good, but his hustle was pathetic this afternoon.  I noticed him dogging it a few times.  I also noticed how Norm and Q were giving him a little more attention than the rest of the players..  Please tell me that I am wrong here - you guys obviously see more games than I do..  He complained a lot and also got on Coker a few times.

Coker - He is a project.  Can't comment..  I held my breath everytime he had the ball..

Geno - I love his hustle.  He was matched up with McClinton tonight (by far their best player) and I think he did ok.

DJ - He seemed to start off well then fell off (like everyone else).  He looks like he is going to be a reall player, though..  I can not wait for him to mature..

Boothe - Loved the hustle.  He is obviously undersized but he seemed to have control of the offense when he was out there on his own.

Horne and Wright look like they are going to be decent players as well..  Again, you guys see them way more than I do, so I trust your opinions on them..   

Since I am down here, and the fact that I am a huge Hurricane Football fan, I kind of follow their basketball team as well.  I attend a few games every season.  I can tell you that they are not that good.  I know they were 6 - 0 heading into this game, but, like us, they didn't play anyone.  Losing the way we did today scares the hell out of me.  I am very nervous about the BE schedule...  I was there with one of my SJU MBA buddies and he felt the same way.. 

I think we will be lucky to get to 16 wins this year.     

Please share your feelings...

redstorm32

Re: SJU - Miami. Just got back from game - my thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 10:07:26 PM »
for the most part miami has beaten nobody

but provdence and vcu are both solid teams and vcu is basically the same team that beat duke and nearly beat pitt last year

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 10:15:01 PM »
Was Burrell complaining to the refs or the coaches or both?  And when did he dog it (I missed his dogging it, though he did seem frustrated at times)?

redstorm32

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 10:22:14 PM »
the jump ball call in the second half justin was yelling at the refs for a reach in call

but you guys need to understand that when it seems he is yelling at the coaches he isnt

justin is a very emotional kid and when things dont go his way or his teammates arent playign to their full capabilities he gets mad

justin doesnt yell at the coaches what you think you see is just justin giving his view on the game and trying to get the team going to the coaches not him complainign to them

Randomhero423

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 11:18:48 PM »
ya know.  i don't really have a great feeling about justin burrell.  he's got all the physical tools, but mental tools are JUST as important.  i feel he gets himself OUT of games sometimes, and doesn't just do what he's got to do.  he talks to much and with a young team like this, we don't need that at all.  he should be more of a leader then simply complaining.

i also feel lawrence is holding down this offense big time.  i think he's just to slow and not able to do get our players in scoring situations. i wanna see boothe play more.  i feel we should have gotten burrell/coker/dj more situated early on. 

LW's injury defintely hurt us today as well.  if he hit some of his shots, it'd be a completely diff game.

redstorm32

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 11:22:06 PM »
your right justin talks a lot

but when he talks its not trashy, putting you down type talk

he's talking about making the right play

try and feed him the ball when he has position

know when to throw him an oop

he's not talking bad he's just trying to get the players around him to play to their potential

Randomhero423

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 11:26:01 PM »
i just have a feeling it rubs off the wrong way though w/ his teammates.  he's trying to be too much of a coach

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
i think this will humble justin a little bit.  after getting owned by king this will knock him back down to earth in some ways (and the rest of the team for that matter) and will make them realize that they have a lot of work left to do.  i dont really see too much of an attitude problem and he didnt really have one in high school or aau ball.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

kob24

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 02:00:58 AM »
so would yall liked to have justin gone to kentucky?

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
i think this will humble justin a little bit.  after getting owned by king this will knock him back down to earth in some ways (and the rest of the team for that matter) and will make them realize that they have a lot of work left to do.  i dont really see too much of an attitude problem and he didnt really have one in high school or aau ball.

couldn't have said it better
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 08:04:23 AM »

I think we will be lucky to get to 16 wins this year.     

Please share your feelings...

I think 16 is high...

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 08:14:36 AM »
we could get 16.  one more loss going into the big east gives us nine...then 7-11 in the big east is nothing to write home about...but gives us the "magic number".

as far as burrell...someone has posted after every game about his lack of hustle.  i don't see that he isn't hustling...but his shot from more than a foot away from the basket is is the worst i've seen in ages.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 08:42:31 AM »
So I aint even see the game from yesterday. But I gotta ask y'all: is it too early to say the sky is fallin? Just like it wuz too early to say we gonna beat up on the peeps when we wuz winnin 'gainst them Blackbirds?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 09:16:42 AM »
Justin definitely complained to the refs a lot but I didn't write that because everyone complains..

It does seem like he is a little distant from the team, though..  Norm needs to get on top of this now..  I know that he is good, but they will not win if this team isn't together..  No primadonnas (sp?) are needed..

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 10:05:06 AM »
So I aint even see the game from yesterday. But I gotta ask y'all: is it too early to say the sky is fallin? Just like it wuz too early to say we gonna beat up on the peeps when we wuz winnin 'gainst them Blackbirds?

For real.  I see some disturbing trends, but people just like to toss around hate.  Don't get me wrong, I'm real ticked, but I think people don't realize how good Miami has been in the early going, or that this is the first road contest and sometimes, teams get their azz kicked. 

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 10:22:07 AM »

For real.  I see some disturbing trends, but people just like to toss around hate.  Don't get me wrong, I'm real ticked, but I think people don't realize how good Miami has been in the early going, or that this is the first road contest and sometimes, teams get their azz kicked. 

it's not the loss which most of us realists expected anyway.  we could run the table until the big east season starts.  it's just the frustration that we have yet another team that can't put up 20 points in a half...that gets blown out by an ordinary team...that has no knight in shining armor coming in next year to put an end to our misery...

Tha Kid

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 10:26:06 AM »
Everyone's gotta relax here.  Yes we lost, yes the second half was disgusting and looks like last year part 2.   But we have 7 frosh, one of our leaders and experienced guys isnt on the court yet.  This MIGHT be fixed whereas last year with a veteran team, any game like this would be a bad sign.  Let's see what happens next time before condemning the season.
"I drink and I know things"

kob24

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 10:56:27 AM »

it's not the loss which most of us realists expected anyway.  we could run the table until the big east season starts.  it's just the frustration that we have yet another team that can't put up 20 points in a half...that gets blown out by an ordinary team...that has no knight in shining armor coming in next year to put an end to our misery...
and yall wonder why kids dont want 2 come here. u have 2 top 50 recruits lose 1 game and people still complain. u complain about the attitude of a player yall have no idea about. u complain about kids with injuries u complain, complain, complain. this is unreal i wont send another recruit to st. johns until some of yall attitudes changes. maybe this is the problem with the fan base as well. yall want results now. come on guys. if corey would have came here yall would be complaining about him. cause his attitude is worst then justins when he losses. they are freshman they will be better. but they do read these sites i know that for a fact and some of the things yall be putting out there is crazy. cant 1 player in the country can come in here in his freshman year and turn this team into a ncaa tournament team ( which they will be in about a year). not d- rose not e-gordon not k-love and trust me yall couldnt handle mike beastly. give these guys a chance. u better hope norm goes out and gets a big east pg for next year because that the biggest piece missing. i like malik a whole lot but he cant do it alone and as u can see by some of my post im not a fan of eugene

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 11:23:35 AM »
kob, i feel where your coming from.  i havent seen an attitude problem out of burrell and i said it at the beginning of the season and ill say it now that this is a team full of freshmen and they likely wont win many games in the big east this year.  i sort of see where your coming from on the corey fisher thing but i dont think fisher has a bad attitude i just think he hates losing (like lance stephenson).  everyone has an opinion kob (including you) and i wouldn't take it too personally even though people are talking about a kid near and dear to you.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

kob24

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 11:48:31 AM »
nah u right i am taking it personally and im gonna chill do some pushups or something. like i said i talk to justin everyday hes just a kid still. he isnt immature but he hates losing. ive told him to fix his demeanor its gonna take time. when dele messes up hes the 1st one in dele face. hes not beefing with him he just wants dele to step up. we know deles potential is crazy but this isnt biddies basketball this is the big east the pro conference. i wish the older guys would get in justins face and tell him 2 pick his head up and keep on going.