Tic toc, you don't stop

• 8 replies
Tic toc, you don't stop
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:17:04 AM »
Masterful clock management, use of time outs and substitutions in the final two minutes of senior night by Hollywood in getting all the seniors on and off for curtain calls as well as getting Clark a plethora of shot attempts late.

Is their anything he doesn't do well?

Re: Tic toc, you don't stop
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:05:06 AM »
That was a monumental feat...still not sure how it got it done.  Probably his best coaching job of the season to pull it off.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

redslope

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »
That was a monumental feat...still not sure how it got it done.  Probably his best coaching job of the season to pull it off.

He pulled it off thanks to the USF coach who nodded OK to the refs in what might have been illegal substitutions--and Coach Steve thanked him very much during the post game handshake for those who were watching the exchange

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:05:12 PM »
He pulled it off thanks to the USF coach who nodded OK to the refs in what might have been illegal substitutions

Yeah I noticed that too.  Still some good work by Lavin.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:27:25 PM »

He pulled it off thanks to the USF coach who nodded OK to the refs in what might have been illegal substitutions--and Coach Steve thanked him very much during the post game handshake for those who were watching the exchange

What substitution would have been deemed illegal.

I notice this year never really before, probably because we were never in big wins but they sometimes allow timeouts just to get subs in at the end of a game.  Substitution time out they call it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:35:47 AM »

By the book, subsitutes must have allready checked in at the table and be ready and waiting at the table when the coach requests a subsitute, the ref acknowledges the request and beckons him into the game.  In the waning moments Hollywood was just pulling walkons off the bench and sending them directly into the game.  Clearly illegal substitution.

I notice this year never really before, probably because we were never in big wins but they sometimes allow timeouts just to get subs in at the end of a game.  Substitution time out they call it.

Timeouts may be used at any time during the game to bring substitutes in including at the end.  The TO gives them ample time to check in properly at the table.  The illegal substitution I describe above is when Lavs was subbing players in late without having called a TO.

Moose

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:43:26 AM »

By the book, subsitutes must have allready checked in at the table and be ready and waiting at the table when the coach requests a subsitute, the ref acknowledges the request and beckons him into the game.  In the waning moments Hollywood was just pulling walkons off the bench and sending them directly into the game.  Clearly illegal substitution.

Timeouts may be used at any time during the game to bring substitutes in including at the end.  The TO gives them ample time to check in properly at the table.  The illegal substitution I describe above is when Lavs was subbing players in late without having called a TO.

What do you mean timeouts may be used at any time during the game?  I meant during play while play is going on there have been times where play is just stopped to get walkons in.  No TO's are charged.  I've never seen that before this year really.

As for the first part about Lavin throwing them in, I would hope the officials and USF recognized it was Sr Night.  I would expect every coach respects that.  That being said the 'lead' official was the same clueless ref who called 20 fouls in the first half of our MSG game vs. ND
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
What do you mean timeouts may be used at any time during the game?

You mentioned that you'ld seen timeouts used to get subs in late in games.  I'm just pointing out it could be done earlier also.

I meant during play while play is going on there have been times where play is just stopped to get walkons in.  No TO's are charged.  I've never seen that before this year really.

At this level I'd be very surprised if they allowed substitution to get even walkons in late without a legit stoppage in play.  What is common and most likely happened is that the coach was charged a time out just to get the subs in but didn't bring the players to the bench and use the time to gather.  Mind you if the opposing coach says he wants to use the timeout to speak to his players,  it's his perogative.

As for the first part about Lavin throwing them in, I would hope the officials and USF recognized it was Sr Night.  I would expect every coach respects that. 

That's exactly how I saw it.  The zebras used a liberal application of the soccer term "law 18" wisely.

That being said the 'lead' official was the same clueless ref who called 20 fouls in the first half of our MSG game vs. ND

I didn't see that game.  I heard we wuz robbed.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 01:58:02 PM »
I thought I saw Lavin call his last timeout, and send the walkons in one by one so each player could get an ovation.