What games have been officially announced?

• 56 replies

MCNPA

Re: What games have been officially announced?
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
It's all about getting more televised games. This one is just another on espn!  It is fantastic IMO, that we can grab another espn game.

ras

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 05:45:26 PM »
playing Detroit is a smart move by Lavin, its a competitive game but not overly so and it is nationally televised.

Poison

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2011, 06:39:37 PM »
Moose, yes, I would rather play more games that would act like glorified practices. We have enough tough games with our non conference as it is. The point imop is to get ready for the BE, and with a completely new team, they're going to need more time than just about every other team in the country.

It's like I said before. This game may help us get noticed in terms of recruits, but if we win, no one will say we beat a good a team. But if we lose, everyone will believe that we choked.

Moose

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »
Moose, yes, I would rather play more games that would act like glorified practices. We have enough tough games with our non conference as it is. The point imop is to get ready for the BE, and with a completely new team, they're going to need more time than just about every other team in the country.

It's like I said before. This game may help us get noticed in terms of recruits, but if we win, no one will say we beat a good a team. But if we lose, everyone will believe that we choked.

Funny because most fans HATE when we play the LIU and NJIT's of the world.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 07:19:43 PM »
I agree, and when Burrell and DJ were juniors, I thought the cup cake games were pointless,
But this is the youngest team in the nation.

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2011, 09:01:55 AM »
I agree, and when Burrell and DJ were juniors, I thought the cup cake games were pointless,
But this is the youngest team in the nation.

Garrett, Harrison, Pelle, Sampson etc and potential 2012 and 13 recruits did/are not coming to SJU so we can play the LIU's of the world.

Go look at SHU's schedule this coming year.  It is terrible.  Notice the problems they have with recruiting?

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »
Fordham96 in what way do you mean it is terrible, too easy or too hard?

gonzalo

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »

Go look at SHU's schedule this coming year.  It is terrible.  Notice the problems they have with recruiting?

Is there any relation between schedule and good recruits?

ras

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »
During the 80"s when we had all those good players we had plenty of patsies on the schedule. We did,however have plenty of wins, includind BE games.

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2011, 12:42:39 PM »
Fordham96 in what way do you mean it is terrible, too easy or too hard?

Way too easy.

Duke/UNC/Kansas/Kentucky/UCLA/Arizona etc get great recruits.  They also have great reputation for winning.  But also check their schedules every year.  They play big time top 25 non-conference teams and big time pre-season tourney's EVERY YEAR.

Duke played Marquette, Butler, K-St, Temple, St. John's and Mich St.  6 non-conference NCAA teams.  Heck even Princeton was no pushover as they nearly won the Ivy.

Kentucky played Washington, UCONN, Indiana (traditional and IU will be back), North Carolina, Notre Dame and Louisville.

My point is kids go to those schools because they are big time.  But part of the reason they are big time is the they play on TV a lot.  And why?  Because they play opponents that demand they be on TV because they are also good and people will watch them.

Go look at that SJU schedule from Norm's 5th year.  Then ask yourself if Amir Garrett and Norvel Pelle want to brave a cold NY winter so they can play NJIT and St. Francis 10 times?

gonzalo

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2011, 03:24:25 PM »

My point is kids go to those schools because they are big time.  But part of the reason they are big time is the they play on TV a lot.  And why?  Because they play opponents that demand they be on TV because they are also good and people will watch them.

Look the schedules of Syracuse.

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »

Look the schedules of Syracuse.

SU's schedule is not bad.  They get criticized more for playing a lot at home and in the state of NY. 

I understand you can find examples of good schools that play a mediocre schedule here or there.  My point is if you want to be big you think big.  And part of thinking big is playing a big time schedule.

MCNPA

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2011, 08:37:40 PM »
In this day and age, SOS and RPI are much, much mores important than back in our one glory year in the 80's.  Patsies don't bring in the fans, dollars nor recruits.  It's much tour picking teams for the tourney nowadays.  Big time schedules and tv are important.

Poison

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2011, 08:48:50 PM »
Syracuse plays a ton of true mid majors.
They win. 98% of them.

We have not been that lucky. I think that will change will Lavin.
However, North Carolina lost to the College of Charleston last year.

Freshman are raw.

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2011, 08:51:05 PM »
Syracuse plays a ton of true mid majors.
They win. 98% of them.

We have not been that lucky. I think that will change will Lavin.
However, North Carolina lost to the College of Charleston last year.

Freshman are raw.

Cuse played the Gaels last year, Iona took the L but Glover had his way in the Dome

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
Here is a piece on Detroit.... 

With his entire roster returning and a pair of potential NBA draft picks in the starting lineup, Ray McCallum should be breathing easy in the months leading up to the 2011-12 college basketball season.

Instead …

“I’m still trying to get our schedule completed,” the Detroit coach said. “Our first year here, everyone was lining up to play us. But now … .”

Detroit is hardly the pushover it was when McCallum arrived in 2008-09. The Titans went just 7-23 that season and only won two conference games. Somehow, though, just three years after toiling at the bottom of the Horizon League standings, Detroit has a realistic shot at finishing at the top.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-king_detroit_cinderella_horizon_062711&active_dimension=carousel_coke_today&ysp_frm_woah=1

MCNPA

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »
Here is a piece on Detroit.... 

With his entire roster returning and a pair of potential NBA draft picks in the starting lineup, Ray McCallum should be breathing easy in the months leading up to the 2011-12 college basketball season.

Instead …

“I’m still trying to get our schedule completed,” the Detroit coach said. “Our first year here, everyone was lining up to play us. But now … .”

Detroit is hardly the pushover it was when McCallum arrived in 2008-09. The Titans went just 7-23 that season and only won two conference games. Somehow, though, just three years after toiling at the bottom of the Horizon League standings, Detroit has a realistic shot at finishing at the top.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-king_detroit_cinderella_horizon_062711&active_dimension=carousel_coke_today&ysp_frm_woah=1

Detroit will provide us a solid game on our schedule.  They do have some talent there.  They have a big guy who is quite good as well as McCallum Jr. and some other players.  That said, I think we have the overall talent to hang with anybody.  Let's hope that all of our guys are eligible.  We will need both God's Gift and Pelle as well as everybody else to handle these teams and the brutal schedule ahead.