Darrick Wood - SG - Palm Beach CC - Alexandria, VA - DEPAUL

• 915 replies
Re: Darrick Wood-SG-NIA Prep
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »
Wood is can shoot, he can really throw it down for a guy his size, and his area that needs most improvement is his physical strength. I think he's a good guy to develop. He was one of my sleepers back in April from the Pitt Jam Fest of guys that would break out this summer. I honestly thought Big East would be a stretch for him but this could be a good fit for him to have time to develop. Also he's on the NJ Playaz with Kyle Anderson....it's a good look.

The good thing is though he wont be needed to play 25 minutes and carry the team. His intangibles will be a nice compliment to players we already have. For those wanting another shooter, here he is. Seems like a nice player that can come off the bench as a freshmen and knock down shots if needed. A very good look

Moose

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2011, 05:33:29 PM »
Hope he finds another school as opposed to NIA Prep.  Don't wanna play that game next year wondering if he's eligible.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »
With all the NIA Prep problems...will he transfer to another school so he can qualify?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »
So that leaves us with 1 ship left?  I wonder if this means the staff thinks Nuri is a one and done.  Hopefully we have a 4th ship open up for Amile. 

If true you can't argue with taken a commitment from a top 125 kid.  The staff must really like something in him because they can be selective with their offers at this point.

I think Garret as a one and done is more likely.

Plus Wood appears to be a four year type player who is not likely to leave early. 

In Lavin and co I trust. 

Moose

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »
So that leaves us with 1 ship left?  I wonder if this means the staff thinks Nuri is a one and done.  Hopefully we have a 4th ship open up for Amile. 

If true you can't argue with taken a commitment from a top 125 kid.  The staff must really like something in him because they can be selective with their offers at this point.

I think Garret as a one and done is more likely.

Plus Wood appears to be a four year type player who is not likely to leave early. 

In Lavin and co I trust. 

Garrett?
No way.  For neither sport.

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »
Welcome aboard! The staff saw this kid play more than anyone while watching all of Kyle's AAU games and I trust their talent evaluation. They don't offer ships out undeservedly.  I'm not sure how this affects Amile and Kyle's recruitment but I trust that Lavin knows what he's doing.

Re: Darrick Wood-SG-NIA Prep-Washington, DC-ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »
After his mother spent a few days on the board endlessly extolling his virtues a few weeks back you knew he wanted to come to STJ.  I'm surprised the staff didn't wait for Amile or a big rather than take another wing with size.  I also wonder about NIA.  Be interesting to see how that plays out with the guys like Rhoomes affected by that this year.  Maybe he's a walk on? ; )

Moose

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2011, 05:40:47 PM »
Welcome aboard! The staff saw this kid play more than anyone while watching all of Kyle's AAU games and I trust their talent evaluation. They don't offer ships out undeservedly.  I'm not sure how this affects Amile and Kyle's recruitment but I trust that Lavin knows what he's doing.

Doesn't affect Kyle at all.  Heck it might even help.

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »
I would of liked to wait on Anderson's decision before we take anyone else but I'm happy either way. The one video shows great athleticism and hes known as a shooter. Lav in deserves all of our trust.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »
With all the NIA Prep problems...will he transfer to another school so he can qualify?

Maybe you mean qualitize? ;D

Moose

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
For those wondering if this impacts Kyle, Zach Braziller of the NY Post tweeted:

Source tells me Darrick Wood in no way a package deal regarding Kyle Anderson. "we like him with or without Kyle." #stjbb

Heck!  You can't move away from a Johnnies site for a length of time....  You might miss something.  LOL   I believe I mentioned before Wood was a teammate of Kyle's with the Playaz.

Frankly, I wasn't expecting a commitment from Wood.  Figured, he might be a kid down the totem pole and would end up elsewhere.  Maybe, the staff views Wood being a guy who has a good upside and someone who'll be around for four years.

He also had some pretty decent games during the Peach Jam.  Now, it's time to grab his AAU teammate in another month.   ;)

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2011, 05:46:18 PM »
According to Scout and Rivals he had offers from West Virginia, Georgetown, and Baylor

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »

That's what i meant - I'm assuming it might help.  Staff wouldnt have brought this kid in if they thought it would negatively impact Kyle's recruitment. 

MCNPA

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2011, 05:46:47 PM »
I would of liked to wait on Anderson's decision before we take anyone else but I'm happy either way. The one video shows great athleticism and hes known as a shooter. Lav in deserves all of our trust.

If anything this helps with Kyle not hurts.  He's Kyle's buddy and not a PG.  Can't be anything but a bonus in our recruitment of Kyle. 

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »

Exactly!  It could very, well help it.

Moose

Re: Darrick Wood - SG - NIA Prep - Washington, DC - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2011, 05:48:52 PM »
As I mentioned to Gumby in the 2013 Wainright thread.  We can't count ships.  We're going to be like more big time schools (Kentucky)where we just keep bringing guys in and others will leave for greener pastures and the chips will fall as they may. 

So just keep them coming ;)

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »

Use that word one more time and you will  be banned for 1 year!  :knuppel2:   ;)

Moose

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2011, 05:50:18 PM »

Use that word one more time and you will  be banned for 1 year!  :knuppel2:   ;)

Lets ban Baldi.  He started it.

MCNPA

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2011, 05:50:32 PM »
Capitol Hoops Top 100 Camp Underclassman Highlights 2009

Moose, hadn't seen that video.  I love his elevation on jumpers as well as rebounding.  He really gets up.  Also like that he's comfortable handling with both hands.  Speedy, athletic kid that seems to fit our mold well.  Like his shooting stroke as well.  Looks like a good versatile player.