Big East Expansion in the Wind Again!

• 33 replies

Gumby

Big East Expansion in the Wind Again!
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:51:22 AM »
I know we had a few earlier threads on this subject but...

Lenn Robbins has a story in today's NY Post on the Big East East possibly picking up Kansas, K-State and Missouri.  He also mentioned the BE Conference going to a 12 football-20 basketball configuration as one possibility.

There is also the possibility of us merging with the ACC, if they lose a few teams.

I am not sure which of those two options I favor.  Geographically, merging with the remaining ACC teams makes sense, as well as us playing  Duke and NC.  Football-wise, I guess adding Kansas, K-State and Missouri would make us a stronger football conference, and probably would appease our current football schools more.  It would not be bad for our basketball program as well.

I think in the Robbins' article there is a slight reference to other possibilities, which could mean us dropping a few BB schools.

As I stated in an earlier thread, the BE Conference needs to be aggressive in planning it future.

It should be an interesting few weeks.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/college_conference_expansion_spiking_Xk0oyKpEilfGaGCFrGv7qJ#ixzz1X5QN4YS7
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:01:06 AM by jumpinjohnny »

Re: Big East Expansion in the Wind Again!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:13:35 AM »
Being in a 20 team league with Kansas added to the power programs we already have? wow. Not getting any easier.

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:15:30 AM »
I know we had a few earlier threads on this subject but...

Lenn Robbins has a story in today's NY Post on the Big East East possibly picking up Kansas, K-State and Missouri.  He also mentioned the BE Conference going to a 12 football-20 basketball configuration as one possibility.

There is also the possibility of us merging with the ACC, if they lose a few teams.

I am not sure which of those two options I favor.  Geographically, merging with the remaining ACC teams makes sense, as well as us playing  Duke and NC.  Football-wise, I guess adding Kansas, K-State and Missouri would make us a stronger football conference, and probably would appease our current football schools more.  It would not be bad for our basketball program as well.

I think in the Robbins' article there is a slight reference to other possibilities, which could mean us dropping a few BB schools.

As I stated in an earlier thread, the BE Conference needs to be aggressive in planning it future.

It should be an interesting few weeks.

If the Big East wants to capitalize best on this move, it is in their best interest to grab a few schools like Kansas, Kansas state, Missourt etc.  I still think the Big East should be prepared to add schools and go to a 20 or 20+ bball conference, even if it means two divisions.  Big East would still by FAR own college basketball.  It is in their best interest to do so as there is still a ton of money to be made in college basketball.  I can certainly see the Big East "trimming" a few bball schools at this point though.  I don't see any way that doesn't happen if we want to keep some semblance of the existing conference together. 

I don't want to see the Big East join the ACC. Just blasphemy and unnecessary.  Big East could still have quite a conference without merging with the ACC.

Gumby

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
The AZ Republic is reporting something I heard out here last week that the Pac 8-10-12 (which ever!) is seriously consider adding OU, O-State, Texas Tech and get this, Texas.  I thought maybe Texas with its Loghorn TV package would go the ND-route of being a sort of independent.  These schools possibly moving out here to the Pac 16 (?) would expedite the remaining Big 12 moving on as well.

You know when it really comes down to it any thing (number-wise) is possible.  Money is certainly a key factor here.

By the way, I was not suggesting us joining the ACC, it was the other way around.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 09:58:29 AM »
The PAC-16 is all but done...Texas will not go independent.  OU, Ok. St. and Texas are definite.  There is a fight over the 4th team...Missouri, Kansas or Texas Tech.

The SEC would need to raid the ACC for any of the Big East/ACC talk to continue.  If the SEC does raid the ACC then look for the Big East to try to poach from the ACC (Maryland and Boston College at least).

But 20 teams or more?  That's just crazy and a basketball only league seems most likely.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

gman

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »
I can't see a 20 team conference.  IMO, eventually the basketball only will be on the chopping block.

redslope

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 11:17:40 AM »
the addition of Kansas, K-State and Mo doesn't really do anything for the Big Least football conference.  it would still be second tier in the BCS.  It would not be able to compete with Pac Whatever, SEC and Big Ten Plus.

the thing that the Big East dominates is Basketball and that needs to continued or it becomes a second tier conference.  the 3 schools above would enhance the Basketball reputation.

Imagine a Big East with two geographic conferences for basketball.  there could be two 10 team tournaments (MSG and Chicago/Kansas City) with the winners meeting in NYC/MSG for the final.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:28:49 AM by redslope »

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »
I think adding kansas and k state would be a greater move for basketball than football. but with that being said, i think having a conference that large, and that geographically spread out isn't a good thing overall. Way too much traveling, unless you only play the teams in your division in an unbalanced schedule.

id honestly rather add some acc schools, and dump marquette, depaul and cincy, but that probably wont happen.

TONYD3

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »
We have to stay in the big east. We are finally back. I want to compete against syracuse and uconn. Not Xavier and Dayton. Kansas can come. We don't need k state. They can join the moutain west.

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »
I think adding kansas and k state would be a greater move for basketball than football. but with that being said, i think having a conference that large, and that geographically spread out isn't a good thing overall. Way too much traveling, unless you only play the teams in your division in an unbalanced schedule.

id honestly rather add some acc schools, and dump marquette, depaul and cincy, but that probably wont happen.

Cincy plays football they're not going to be axed.  You might want to replace them with the Hall.  Right now Marquette has a strong bball program while schools like the Hall and Providence are on the down-swing.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:11:34 PM by Section 9 »

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »
We have to stay in the big east. We are finally back. I want to compete against syracuse and uconn. Not Xavier and Dayton. Kansas can come. We don't need k state. They can join the moutain west.

I agree, a bball only league would be a letdown from my perspective. A solid league no doubt, but not what I really want at this point. Lavin is building a program that should be able to compete every year with Cuse, Uconn, Pitt etc.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
If there must be a change, I'd like to see the remaining Big East and ACC schools merge.  Duke, BC, Maryland, Wake, and NC State would likely be left.  I would expect the SEC to poach WV, UNC, and FSU.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 02:09:46 PM »
If there must be a change, I'd like to see the remaining Big East and ACC schools merge.  Duke, BC, Maryland, Wake, and NC State would likely be left.  I would expect the SEC to poach WV, UNC, and FSU.

Ive said it before and I will say it again.  I wish Duke would give up football. They are horrible . But I know they just invested in some renovations or something.  Adding them to us Gtown and Nova would be pretty sweet.
Remember who broke the Slice news

TONYD3

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
Duke played Richmond tough over the weekend

Moose

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 03:53:40 PM »
Duke played Richmond tough over the weekend

:)

1-AA or whatever its called Richmond
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJU85

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 10:01:29 PM »
That's DI Bowl Division hanging tought with DI (IAA) Playoff Division Richmond :D.  To be fair, Richmond does have a terrific DIAA (or Playoff Division or whatever it's called) football program.

While adding Kansas, Missouri etc. might still keep the BE a second tier BCS Conference, they would still be a BCS Conference eligible for BCS bowls which is what matters to those programs that can't get into the 1st tier.

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 03:47:43 PM »

Ive said it before and I will say it again.  I wish Duke would give up football. They are horrible . But I know they just invested in some renovations or something.  Adding them to us Gtown and Nova would be pretty sweet.
You will NEVER see this one. There is no way that Duke will ever abandon UNC. Historically and culturally, it is too important down in NC. If there ever was a thought of an ACC/BE merger, Duke and UNC would come as a package.

uwsfan

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 05:10:15 PM »
The only way i can see the BE & ACC merging is if those two conferences are severly decimated by Big10 & SEC poaching.
This would likely mean that Cuse, Maryland and possibly Pitt or Rutgers would have been taken by the B10. And Florida St, WVU and maybe even Miami taken by the SEC. Those schools could be replaced by Kansas & K-state and maybe even Missouri (if sec doesnt take them), and to be brutally honest, i would like to see the BE, weather it merges with ACC or not, drop S Florida (its a Conf USA type school & doesnt belong), and even the lowlier b-ball only schools like Depaul, Hall, Prov

jr49

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 06:41:27 PM »

Hey 447, most fans like a tight geographic conference. What seems most important now is what the TV guys think. When the money gets dished out being in Wisc. , Chicago, Cincy, Texas and Fla helps.

ras

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 06:42:20 PM »
S.FL is a football school. The BE cant drop a football school,unless they really suck. S.FL is an average BE football school and just beat ranked ND.