Big East to add Boise State and 4 other schools

• 55 replies

DFF6

Big East to add Boise State and 4 other schools
« on: December 06, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »
The Big East is set to add Boise State, San Diego State, SMU, UCF and Houston as it begins to rebuild its league, with an announcement expected as early as Wednesday, sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7323183/sources-big-east-announce-boise-state-four-others-joining-conference

uwsfan

Re: Big East to add Boise State and 4 other schools
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 04:03:09 PM »
Time for a conference name change i think

DFF6

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »
Big Country?
Big East (of Europe)?
Big Mess?

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
SDSU basketball recruiting should take a hit right?

Doherty finally gets his chance to coach in the Big East
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:17:07 PM »
The Big East is set to add Boise State, San Diego State, SMU, UCF and Houston as it begins to rebuild its league, with an announcement expected as early as Wednesday, sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7323183/sources-big-east-announce-boise-state-four-others-joining-conference
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

boo3

Re: Doherty finally gets his chance to coach in the Big East
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »
 lame... BE is finished...

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:19:46 PM »
SDSU basketball recruiting should take a hit right?
Depends if their payroll goes down like the Mets. :)

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »
So says boo the all-knowing soothsayer.

boo3

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »

I'll take the compliment.  Its better than being known as the miserable old guy with corny jokes... ;)

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:42:46 PM »

I'll take the compliment.  Its better than being known as the miserable old guy with corny jokes... ;)
I ain't miserable-just put in a $40,000 new kitchen in my house although I was miserable for a couple of hours when I mispaced an envelope containing $2,700 I was paying a contractor with. As for my corney jokes me thinks it is a generational thing as my peers consider me quite funny and as a matter of fact my new personal trainer who is in his 20's said I had him laughing for our whole 1/2 hr session last time and believe it or not he wasn't laughing about my workout. :)

Moose

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 07:49:22 PM »
Dumb
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »

I ain't miserable-just put in a $40,000 new kitchen in my house although I was miserable for a couple of hours when I mispaced an envelope containing $2,700 I was paying a contractor with. As for my corney jokes me thinks it is a generational thing as my peers consider me quite funny and as a matter of fact my new personal trainer who is in his 20's said I had him laughing for our whole 1/2 hr session last time and believe it or not he wasn't laughing about my workout. :)

I'm gonna assume this entire post is another attempt at a joke.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 07:58:09 PM »

I'm gonna assume this entire post is another attempt at a joke.
All true but very last part about not laughing at my workout was attempt at a little humor.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »
This isnt terrible is they still add Air Force and Navy for football only then add temple and memphis for both. after wv, pitt and cuse leave it would be a 14 team league football conf and and 18 team bball with east and west

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 09:49:53 PM »

How about.... BIG LEAST??

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 09:53:22 PM »

maybe he was laughing at your snug medium tee shirt :)

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 10:27:55 PM »

maybe he was laughing at your snug medium tee shirt :)
Good one but no way I could get into a medium anything-would have to pull a Houdini (for you youngins he was a magician) like my tees and sweats loose.

desco80

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »
WE on the boards keep mentioning Temple and Memphis etc to boast the basketball ... but has anyone seen anything that indicates Marinatto is actually trying to add any basketball schools?    Because I haven't heard a peep.    So I think our visions of bolstering the basketball side are a pipe dream.

Moose

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
WE on the boards keep mentioning Temple and Memphis etc to boast the basketball ... but has anyone seen anything that indicates Marinatto is actually trying to add any basketball schools?    Because I haven't heard a peep.    So I think our visions of bolstering the basketball side are a pipe dream.

He hasn't.  Best chance to boost basketball is to either pick up and leave with Gtown, Nova, Marquette, Prov, DePaul, Hall, and ND and leave on our own.

Or hope Rutgers and Uconn pick up and leave for greener pastures.

Then a legit 12-14 team bball only conference can be built.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »

He hasn't.  Best chance to boost basketball is to either pick up and leave with Gtown, Nova, Marquette, Prov, DePaul, Hall, and ND and leave on our own.

Or hope Rutgers and Uconn pick up and leave for greener pastures.

Then a legit 12-14 team bball only conference can be built.

I think it all comes down to the ACC, if they make the move to expand again they'll be looking at UCONN and then probably Louisville,maybe Rutgers if someone is enamored with the idea of the NYC market- although I question how valuable Rutgers football is to any league.

But you're right.  If UCONN bolts, the Big East is done and we can start to look at a bball only conference which better suits our needs.  Then we can talk to the other basketball only schools ala Xavier, Butler etc, or convince a Memphis/Temple to join and leave their football in another conference. 
This summer I was dreading that the Big East would fall apart.  Now I'm starting to think it's inevitable.  So we might as well make a move before our hand is forced.