In Honor of Fab Melo.. this Sat's chant should be...

• 138 replies

Moose

Re: In Honor of Fab Melo.. this Sat's chant should be...
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »
What the program should have entertained is playing them at Louie arena instead of the Garden. Would at least keep it as a home game that way.

This is America. $$$$$

Last I heard we don't receive money from concessions, so why create a hostile home enviornment and just play them on campus next year, especially since they are leaving the BE and most of all because their fans are pretty much the biggest (rhymes with bricks) in the BE>

We're not going to play our biggest home game on campus.  UCONN, Cuse, Georgetown have all drawn very well at MSG for years.... why would the administration change policy now?   Because Cuse is leaving the Big East? 

Sorry, if Cuse is leaving the Big East and we won't see them for awhile, I'd rather play them at the garden in a big atmosphere.  Even if that means a split crowd. 

We pissed off Gonzo after he made MSG remarks by playing him in Queens, no?

Sorry but this isn't a policy issue.  No STJ fan should be annoyed if we did this.  Only ppl this will piss off is Cuse fans who have no shot in hell of getting tickets on campus.

And I'm telling you, it would annoy me.  I'd still attend the game in Queens obviously.  But I believe one of the ways we increase our attendance is by playing big games at the garden and winning them.  It draws more attention and spotlight on the team.

If we had played Cuse at the end of last season, rather than in January, it would have been a totally different crowd.  Think about that..
If the Pitt and Syracuse games had been reversed on last year's schedule, you can't tell me that wouldn't have made for a great atmosphere. 

I just feel that if we only have one or two more games left against Syracuse, then I'd like to see them at msg.  And, I just hope that we build momentum this season and next so that our fan base is out in full force.

Sorry but it sucks to sit in that building that is our 'home court' and be outnumbered 7 or 8 to 1.  Taking all the theatrics of a sold out Garden out of the equation mostly because we haven't had much success.  BET was palpable last year only because I think neutral fans were pulling for us.  But the home game was sickening and has been for a number of years.  Duke a little less and Uconn less than that.  Pitt was the best game because it was 85% STJ fans and the bottom level was sold out.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 05:43:41 PM »
I am already dreading listening to those orange clad @ssholes standing and clapping until they make their first shot

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »
Once again the limited capacity of the on campus arena bites us.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »
Cuse is one of the few opponents we have that is capable of producing a sell-out at the garden, and a special atmosphere for our team/players.   Under the right conditions I think UCONN, Georgetown, and to a lesser extent Villanova could as well.  But they'd have to be ranked, we'd have to be ranked etc etc.

But if we have momentum, and our fan base is excited, like it was towards the end of last season; a positive crowd is possible against Syracuse as well.

It's certainly possible. But SJ needs its fan base to care. When you're a student, you have no excuse being a front runner, but as an alumni, it's your right to not care about SJ, if the brain trust isn't doing their part. We win a few early next year, SJ fans will run to the front, and we'll compete with SU.

No one would believe that SJ is a bigger school than SU. Why would they?

desco80

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »
What the program should have entertained is playing them at Louie arena instead of the Garden. Would at least keep it as a home game that way.

This is America. $$$$$

Last I heard we don't receive money from concessions, so why create a hostile home enviornment and just play them on campus next year, especially since they are leaving the BE and most of all because their fans are pretty much the biggest (rhymes with bricks) in the BE>

We're not going to play our biggest home game on campus.  UCONN, Cuse, Georgetown have all drawn very well at MSG for years.... why would the administration change policy now?   Because Cuse is leaving the Big East? 

Sorry, if Cuse is leaving the Big East and we won't see them for awhile, I'd rather play them at the garden in a big atmosphere.  Even if that means a split crowd. 

We pissed off Gonzo after he made MSG remarks by playing him in Queens, no?

Sorry but this isn't a policy issue.  No STJ fan should be annoyed if we did this.  Only ppl this will piss off is Cuse fans who have no shot in hell of getting tickets on campus.

And I'm telling you, it would annoy me.  I'd still attend the game in Queens obviously.  But I believe one of the ways we increase our attendance is by playing big games at the garden and winning them.  It draws more attention and spotlight on the team.

If we had played Cuse at the end of last season, rather than in January, it would have been a totally different crowd.  Think about that..
If the Pitt and Syracuse games had been reversed on last year's schedule, you can't tell me that wouldn't have made for a great atmosphere. 

I just feel that if we only have one or two more games left against Syracuse, then I'd like to see them at msg.  And, I just hope that we build momentum this season and next so that our fan base is out in full force.

Sorry but it sucks to sit in that building that is our 'home court' and be outnumbered 7 or 8 to 1.  Taking all the theatrics of a sold out Garden out of the equation mostly because we haven't had much success.  BET was palpable last year only because I think neutral fans were pulling for us.  But the home game was sickening and has been for a number of years.  Duke a little less and Uconn less than that.  Pitt was the best game because it was 85% STJ fans and the bottom level was sold out.

I agree with you that in years past it has been brutal.  I expect it to be slightly better tomorrow, but not a whole lot different.   But I would expect/hope that as the program moves forward we draw better attendance at MSG.   Probably never enough to drown out Cuse fans altogether.   But we've been so bad for so long that it's hard to tell how we would draw against cuse in a marquee matchup when both teams are ranked. 

Better days are ahead.   People will be jumping on the bandwagon.

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »

This is America. $$$$$

Last I heard we don't receive money from concessions,  so why create a hostile home enviornment and just play them on campus next year

Ticket sales?  I've been to 4 games thus far at Alumni and 0 at the Garden.  So I personally wouldn't mind all of them in Queens.  But it seems counter productive and downright unatural from a marketing standpoint to turn away paying customers for our events;  no matter if their shirts are orange or red.  So long as their paper is green.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »

This is America. $$$$$

Last I heard we don't receive money from concessions,  so why create a hostile home enviornment and just play them on campus next year

Ticket sales?  I've been to 4 games thus far at Alumni and 0 at the Garden.  So I personally wouldn't mind all of them in Queens.  But it seems counter productive and downright unatural from a marketing standpoint to turn away paying customers for our events;  no matter if their shirts are orange or red.  So long as their paper is green.

Well some other food for thought during the crappy Norm years we were still breaking even with ease even with crappy attendance numbers.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »
I am already dreading listening to those orange clad @ssholes standing and clapping until they make their first shot

Only one way to make them sit down and shut up. Play better.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 11:53:12 PM »
The chant should be....HIT THE BOOKS---  HIT THE BOOKS--HIT THE BOOKS
                                                              or
                                    GED----GED----GED

whatever it is there needs to be something. Only 2 other teams i despise more than cuse in all of sports...

Top 3:
CUSE
Redsox
ManU

My top 3 are:
Redsox
Patriots
UConn

But Syracuse is in the top 7.

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 02:27:00 AM »
Someone should bring a big face of laurie fine for the student section

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »

hiiiilllarrrrioooouuuss

boo3

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2012, 09:07:58 AM »

There are 400 pictures already made up. Saw pictures on Redmen.com.  Hi-larious

Foad

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
Needless to say that many posters make excellent points. Saint John's has long maintained a small time meaningless basketball program and much of the discussion in this thread carries on that tradition. For example, who among us can forget just 5 or 6 years ago when we celebrated the 25th anniversary of the year we lost a game in the final four. Good time. Or that where other teams hang championship banners, we treasure an ugly sweater - or as I like to think of it, the Shroud of Louie.

Now though, things have changed. What with Jim Calhoun absent due to medical issues and Hall of Fame coaches like Jim Boeheim, Jamie Dixon, and Bob Huggins leaving the league we are poised to take our rightful place at or near the top of the teams that are left, legendary basketball powerhouses such as Seton Hall, Providence and Boise State. To me it's just as unfortunate that the good programs did not leave the league sooner as it is that more children were not brutally sodomized at earlier ages by more coaches and their wives, which could only have helped propel the SJ juggernaut. In fact, if George Blaney is caught making a snuff film and Mike Brey and Buzz Williams spontaneously combust I think that next year we could finish in the top half of the league.

There's no doubt that not allowing the other teams fans to attend the games would be an advantage. Ideally we would not allow the other teams to attend the games - especially the great teams with great coaches that are perennial national championship contenders like Syracuse and Uconn, gosh how I hate those guys - but that might be considered poor sportsmanship. And sure I know that some people think you can only be the best if you beat the best but I'd be happy enough win a national championship if every other basketball player in the country died in a plane crash and had their corpses violated anally by Jerry Sandusky. That would just make the victory all the sweeter. Because lets face it this is New York and if you can make it here you can make it anywhere, even Syracuse.

The ideal solution to the fan base problem would be to build an on campus arena that's even smaller than Schottenheimer Stadium, sorry I mean Bud Grant Coliseum, sorry I mean Carnesecca Arena, our state of the art on campus facility - because what could be more unnerving to a free throw shooter in a tight ball game than having a crowd of 100 or 200 die hard toupeed fans in red and white sweaters staring you down. Not to mention the delicious schadenfreude one would feel as the tens of thousand of Syracuse or UConn fans who would otherwise attend the game at the Mecca of college basketball would have to stay home and watch it on television, like a sad and pathetic Arab sheik reduced to watching a hajj from the harem room in his palace.

Those of course our all solutions for the future. For todays game I’ve prepared some slogans that I'm going to chant which I think may well effect the outcome.

-- Bernie. Your wife's a skank and douches with Pine. Sol.

-- You might be Fab, I bet you wouldn't be so mellow if you were showering with Jerry Sandusky! 

-- Hey Fab Melo you might be a number one draft pick making millions of dollars a year playing basketball and having threesomes with the Laker girls but you couldn’t even pass English 101 so suck
it.

-- Ha! Syracuse is only #2 in the country, try harder

-- Hey Jardine, what kind of a name is Scoop? You sound like a reporter or something.

-- Rakim Christmas: did Bernie Fine come down your chimney?

Unlikely that even the most hardened “baller” will be able to withstand such withering stuff.

To seal the deal before the game I’ll be having at the current Mrs Foad, who’ll be dressed up like a cheerleader and wearing a Juli Boeheim mask. Because Juli Boeheim is smoking and the missus catholic school unifrom is at the dry cleaner. I suspect the karmic energy from this act (or acts, depending on how much Johnnie Black I drink) may turn the tide and lead us to victory. Because : we are. Saint John’s.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »
Great job by the SJ students making Melo feeling comfortable. Way to earn you spot on the floor. There is no reason to remove all you, and or expell or beat you with sticks.

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »
Great job by the SJ students making Melo feeling comfortable. Way to earn you spot on the floor. There is no reason to remove all you, and or expell or beat you with sticks.

The students did a great job.  They can't control the talent disparity between the two teams.

As for Melo, he sucks.  He is so awkward and, if he spent 10 years in college, he won't make it in the NBA.  Any team that drafts him should have their entire front office fired.  Career high 14 pts on dunks over guys who are a foot shorter than him does not make him NBA material.  Sweet stroke on his free throws though for a doofus.

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »

The students did a great job.  They can't control the talent disparity between the two teams.

As for Melo, he sucks.  He is so awkward and, if he spent 10 years in college, he won't make it in the NBA.  Any team that drafts him should have their entire front office fired.  Career high 14 pts on dunks over guys who are a foot shorter than him does not make him NBA material.  Sweet stroke on his free throws though for a doofus.
But if he played for us he would be the greatest thing since sliced bread right? Looked pretty good when he smoked Mr. NBA Moe on his lay-up attempt above the rim though huh? As for the St J's fans doing a great job-yeah the .000000001% that attended the game shur nuff did!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:06:05 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 11:28:09 PM »

But if he played for us he would be the greatest thing since sliced bread right? Looked pretty good when he smoked Mr. NBA Moe on his lay-up attempt above the rim though huh? As for the St J's fans doing a great job-yeah the .000000001% that attended the game shur nuff did!

Yeah he blocked a shot.  That makes him an All-American.  No, Celtics11, he sucks!  And he would still suck if he played for us.  Jasulonus sucked.  Lamont Hamilton sucked (but not as much as Fab Melo). And they played for us.  I wouldn't call out one of our players because I wouldn't hate him the way I hate Cuse players, but that wouldn't mean he was great.

Michael Carter-Williams and CJ Fair are great and they play for Cuse.  Stith isn't great and he plays for us.  Melo just sucks.

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »

Yeah he blocked a shot.  That makes him an All-American.  No, Celtics11, he sucks!  And he would still suck if he played for us.  Jasulonus sucked.  Lamont Hamilton sucked (but not as much as Fab Melo). And they played for us.  I wouldn't call out one of our players because I wouldn't hate him the way I hate Cuse players, but that wouldn't mean he was great.

Michael Carter-Williams and CJ Fair are great and they play for Cuse.  Stith isn't great and he plays for us.  Melo just sucks.

Concur, simplyred (although, I think MCW and CJ Fair are good, and not "great"). 

Poison

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 11:52:16 PM »
No, he's not Dwight Howard, but what center in college is better than him?

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 11:55:58 PM »
No, he's not Dwight Howard, but what center in college is better than him?

More bootlicking, Poison?  I can name a few collegiate centers that are better than him.