• 105 replies

kjd01067

Re: TyShwan Edmondson - PG - University Heights Academy - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 09:18:43 AM »
http://www.hoopsreport.com/player_database_details.php?id=328

Another short video of Ty.  Video is in the middle of the page

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 02:17:13 PM »
they rank him as a high major...so anywhere from 75-175.

"High Major-Likely two year starter for a team in a major conference (or an impact player at a mid-major program).  In a typical class the top 175 players will receive a rating of High Major or higher."

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »
saw this blog from someone who posted on rivals...it quoted some stats...he shot 40% from 3...only took about 3 a game though (106 total).  Seems like he is a "can keep them honest" type of shooter that can hit the shot if you give him space.

http://pennypick.blogspot.com/search?q=edmondson

I saw University Heights play Bowling Green in December when the Blazers cruised into the Purples' gym and cruised out with a victory. That night, Tyshwan Edmondson caught my eye, and he came into the state tournament averaging 18.2 points a game while hitting 42 of 106 three point goals and dishing out 143 assists in 34 ballgames. Scotty Hopson was the leading scorer for the Blazers with 24.4 points a game, and he averaged 11.4 rebounds per game. He gets all the attention, and rightly so with those gaudy numbers. DaQuan Brown ads 12.8 points per game for UHA.

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 11:22:06 PM »
Just wanted to say nothin but the best fo this young man on the court and in the classroom.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 12:09:13 AM »
Here is what I'm going to say on this:

I can't seem to understand how this kid could be a high-major caliber player.  He played with Scotty Hopson, one of the best  seniors in the country that was unsigned throughout the season.  That meant that there were tons of ACC and SEC coaches in attendance at his games throughout this season.  Not a single one of them thought highly enough of Edmondson while watching Hopson to offer a scholarship.  Sorry if I'm being a negative Nancy on this, but it's hard to imagine him being a high-major talent.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 12:17:10 AM »
Guess we'll see on the court, though.  Tennessee needed a point guard and didn't look his way. But maybe he can suit St. John's backup needs and if not...

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »
From what i hear this kid is more of a combo guard/forward, who can handle the rock. Not a pure point...  Plus, he is obviously a late bloomer that can jump OUT of the gym. And most people who saw him play this year say he was the best ALL-AROUND player on his team, not Hopson. I spoke to Q about T as well & he seemed pretty excited about this kid. Bottom line is he's a legit 6'4 with long arms, is very athletic, goes strong to the hoop & is relentless on 'D". He is also a better shooter than people are giving him credit. IMO, he could be the steal of this class. But all of this is speculation at this point. Can't wait to see this kid in action this summer..  8) .. peace!

http://forums.kentucky.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=kr-uksportsky&msg=44226.1&ctx=128
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:34:42 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 05:36:26 PM »
Old Red- good info & discussion from that Kentucky board.

Since Ty sounds like a 2/3 combo (& Q Roberts is a 3),
who is backing up Booth this year ? (We have Stith coming in 09)

The Kentucky discussion above contradicts the
1st page on this thread with the "rivals" story.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:41:30 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 10:29:33 PM »

That's why I can't wait to see this kid in action. Because the reports on him are all over the place. On one hand u have Norm, Meyer from rivals & his own H.S. coach saying he can handle the point. And then u have people like this guy from the Kentucky board saying he is best suited for the SF spot... As far as who is backing up Boothe i would guess it's going to be a combo of Horne, Roberts & Edmondson. But i thinks it's too early to say at this point. Hopefully we'll have the answer to that question by the time conference play starts next year.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Poison

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 10:33:25 PM »

That's why I can't wait to see this kid in action. Because the reports on him are all over the place. On one hand u have Norm, Meyer from rivals & his own H.S. coach saying he can handle the point. And then u have people like this guy from the Kentucky board saying he is best suited for the SF spot... As far as who is backing up Boothe i would guess it's going to be a combo of Horne, Roberts & Edmondson. But i thinks it's too early to say at this point. Hopefully we'll have the answer to that question by the time conference play starts next year.

we already have mase kennedy and thomas to play the three. if he's really a 3, he should redshirt if we land williams.

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 11:46:38 PM »

don't know who this guys is on the kentucky board but he doesn't sound too bright.  this guy actually calls him a 4...and no offense to Ty but he is no way comparable to Hopson.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 12:25:56 AM »

don't know who this guys is on the kentucky board but he doesn't sound too bright.  this guy actually calls him a 4...and no offense to Ty but he is no way comparable to Hopson.

Have u seen him & his h.s. tream play? Because if u read all the articles it sounded like he was their best player down the stretch. And i'm pretty sure this guy has seen more than a few highlight tapes of this kid.  Plus the kid is 6'4, still growing & has very long arms. He also averaged 18 pts & 8 boards a game last year. So i don't think it's a stretch to think he might have played a little 4 for his h.s. team  this year... Regardless, i think we might have a real "sleeper" on our hands.  I know the staff loves this kid.

http://fieldsnotes.wordpress.com/2008/02/07/h/

http://forum.bluegrassinsider.com/yaf_postsm56_08-PG-Tyshawn-Edmundson--UHA.aspx
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 12:35:20 AM by oldred10 »

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 12:48:39 AM »
No way this kid is a four or played it in high school. He is a Jason Terry like point guard.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 01:02:05 AM »
No way this kid is a four or played it in high school. He is a Jason Terry like point guard.

No one is saying the kid is a 4. But he did average close to 8 rebounds & is a legit 6'4. Alot of h.s. teams have ZERO bigmen & a center around 6'6. So like i said, i don't think it's a stretch to think AT TIMES he may have slid down low to help on the boards & play some 'D'. He also regardless of size usually guarded the opposing teams best player. Plus, this kid is tough as they come. Sorry, but i'm going to go with the person that has actually seen this kid play & the statements of one of our assistants on this one..  ;D .. peace!

St. Johns got a real steal here.

The reason many fans think Tyshawn is a better college prospect than Scotty, his team mate who got so much more attention, is that Tyshawn goes to war every second he's on the floor. Doesn't matter 20 up, 20 down, first quarter, 4th quarter, top 10 opponent, winless opponent. Only thing that matters is when's the clock running. Ball's in play, he goes to war. Relentless.

He's also a better team player. He doesn't care how many points he gets. If the team needs him and they pass him the ball, he's happy to score. If not, he's happy to rebound, run up his assist total and play defense on the opponent's top player. For the last two years he's got most of his points on rebound putbacks.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:59:33 AM by oldred10 »

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 01:09:15 AM »
Bottom line he didn't play the four. He played each guard spot and is known for attacking the basket and being a crafty dribbler. He was and is too skinny to play anything inside even at the high school level and its pointless even debating this because either way its completely irrelevant.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »
Bottom line he didn't play the four. He played each guard spot and is known for attacking the basket and being a crafty dribbler. He was and is too skinny to play anything inside even at the high school level and its pointless even debating this because either way its completely irrelevant.

Bottom line is u have never seen him play. So u have no idea whether he -AT TIMES - played the 4 or not. And my main point is we got ourselves a "player" who does whatever it takes to win games..  8) .. peace!

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 01:42:24 AM »

Bottom line is u have never seen him play. So u have no idea whether he -AT TIMES - played the 4 or not. And my main point is we got ourselves a "player" who does whatever it takes to win games..  8) .. peace!

You're right, you know all. I mean I guess conversations I've had with his high school coach, with our coaching staff, with a few writers who have covered his aau and high school team all don't know what they're talking about. Lets listen to some halfwit poster on a message board in Kentucky.

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 08:54:51 AM »
No one is saying the kid is a 4.

I have not seen him play but I've seen Hopson play...and its a ridiculous statement to say he's a better player...they obviously liked Ty better because Hopson dogged it.

And actually that guy on the message board called him a 4...so I wouldn't put much stock in what he says.  He says Kentucky would've taken him except he was too short to play the 4 at Kentucky...sounds like a pretty clueless basketball fan if you ask me.  As for playing the 4 in high school who cares...he would never play the 4 in college at any level nevermind the bigeast.

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »
Numerous reports have said Hopson was a better AAU player than high school and it looked like he was never trying in high school.

pmg911

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 11:35:35 AM »

You're right, you know all. I mean I guess conversations I've had with his high school coach, with our coaching staff, with a few writers who have covered his aau and high school team all don't know what they're talking about. Lets listen to some halfwit poster on a message board in Kentucky.

JJ. . don't let Scotch/Old Red 77&88/JDMcNugget/JB24/Dele15/Redmen55/Red Ghost bother you....

You might see him on campus one days soon.. . you know he "bumps into" the players all the time... he can usually be seen with his nose pressed against the glass of Tafner with a sign that reads..  I FLUFF FOR NORM..

peace. . bump..  yawn...