Andrew Young - PF - Monterey Peninsula College -Monterey, California - TEXAS A&M

• 43 replies

desco80

Re: Andrew Young - PF - Monterey Peninsula College - Monterey, California
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 02:29:18 PM »
I agree. I am confident that we have the scoring we need to play. Harkless and Harrison as the 1 and 2 options. I also believe Pointer, Garrett and Greene will improve their shot and ball handling in the off season. Branch is the unknown. However, I am confident he will do well. Therefore, we have plenty of other scoring options. What we need more than anything is some extra bodies who can play some defense so we can mix it up more to play man/pressure and less of the zone.

I'm definitely in favor of Young.  From the info that is coming out about him, he sounds like he'd be the kind've role player we need.
However i disagree that we don't need another "plus" player, or that our scoring options can remain status quo.   We're one of the worst scoring teams in the conference.  And among the worst shooting teams in the country.   From the foul line, the field, and behind the arc. 

Part of the way we fix that is by adding little pieces, so more rest, a better point guard, etc will improve our offense.   But as is we have no second unit.  We need another scoring option or two.  I think we can accomplish that through a number of smaller improvements; including seeing slightly more production form Dom and Amir.    And adding a shooter who can play 10 minutes a night. 

But, I see a lot that needs to improve on the offensive end, beyond just resting guys.   Role players are good, but remember these recruits we bring in are going to need to play meaningful minutes for us right out of the gate.  We need a few more who can put the ball in the hoop.

Stats are all skewed based on the fact we have no bodies, playing the entire game and forcing bad shots.  That will change when more bodies are present.

There are only so many shots to go around.  You just need big men capable a couple of jumpers a game and more importantly putbacks.  Gift will be a very good player for 15 mpg.  But at 30-35 we see his weaknesses.  Adding in Young and another big body (Zena) will alleviate the pressure. 

*Also pretty sure if you remove Nuri from the averages our FT's come back to normalcy.  The problem is we've had a few losses where they have reared their ugly head and cost us the game and everyone sees those.  However in the grand scheme they are solid.  And we get to the line a lot which is good.

Agree with most of what you said Moose.  Our offense as a whole gets incrementally better by doing each of the following:
1) a few more bodies, giving everyone else more rest
2) a true pg who gets everyone better looks, lets D'lo play off the ball more
3) more bodies down low let us be more aggressive on the boards in terms of fouls, and energy we have

That's all true, and there are more side benefits of just adding a few bodies.  Including letting Mo move back to his natural position, and Dom/Amir having a full summer to work on their individual skills.   All those things will help, you're right.

But I still think we lack a third offensive weapon.   Even if it's not a starter, we have no scoring punch in the second unit.  (we have no second unit right now either I guess)  And if Moe or D'angelo is out of the game that means we're back to a one man show, not to mention if one of them gets hurt or in foul trouble.  Which we've seen can happen.   Sampson can create for himself, and Pargas sounds like a dead-eye shooter, so maybe those are the answers I'm looking for.  Or maybe it's Phil Greene playing off the ball for stretches to give Harrison a breather.   Just think it's wrong to say we absolutely have enough offensive fire power.

Sounds like Young can be one of the pieces that contributes to the answer though.   Especially in terms of put backs, and second chances. 

jayro

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 02:40:03 PM »
I'd also add that having enough Div 1 players to practice against every day should make a big difference- as of now we have 6 DIV 1 players practicing against walk-ons-not to knock the walk-ons-they are contributing and I appreciate their effort and part in making the SJU team better-just think a level playing/practice field will be a major help.

desco80

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
I'd also add that having enough Div 1 players to practice against every day should make a big difference- as of now we have 6 DIV 1 players practicing against walk-ons-not to knock the walk-ons-they are contributing and I appreciate their effort and part in making the SJU team better-just think a level playing/practice field will be a major help.

+1 good point.  That goes understated I think.   

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »
Don't know much about Young but sounds like he'd be a great prospect to plug right in at the center spot with Gift.  Add a guy like Shepard and/or Jakarr and we're dangerous.  We'll add other kids as well so we have the depth to make waves.  Really need a kid with height so Young sounds like a must-get for us.

Moose

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »
Biggest factor is its a 2 yr risk.  Even up the classes.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »
I agree. I am confident that we have the scoring we need to play. Harkless and Harrison as the 1 and 2 options. I also believe Pointer, Garrett and Greene will improve their shot and ball handling in the off season. Branch is the unknown. However, I am confident he will do well. Therefore, we have plenty of other scoring options. What we need more than anything is some extra bodies who can play some defense so we can mix it up more to play man/pressure and less of the zone.

I'm definitely in favor of Young.  From the info that is coming out about him, he sounds like he'd be the kind've role player we need.
However i disagree that we don't need another "plus" player, or that our scoring options can remain status quo.   We're one of the worst scoring teams in the conference.  And among the worst shooting teams in the country.   From the foul line, the field, and behind the arc. 

Part of the way we fix that is by adding little pieces, so more rest, a better point guard, etc will improve our offense.   But as is we have no second unit.  We need another scoring option or two.  I think we can accomplish that through a number of smaller improvements; including seeing slightly more production form Dom and Amir.    And adding a shooter who can play 10 minutes a night. 

But, I see a lot that needs to improve on the offensive end, beyond just resting guys.   Role players are good, but remember these recruits we bring in are going to need to play meaningful minutes for us right out of the gate.  We need a few more who can put the ball in the hoop.

Stats are all skewed based on the fact we have no bodies, playing the entire game and forcing bad shots.  That will change when more bodies are present.

There are only so many shots to go around.  You just need big men capable a couple of jumpers a game and more importantly putbacks.  Gift will be a very good player for 15 mpg.  But at 30-35 we see his weaknesses.  Adding in Young and another big body (Zena) will alleviate the pressure. 

*Also pretty sure if you remove Nuri from the averages our FT's come back to normalcy.  The problem is we've had a few losses where they have reared their ugly head and cost us the game and everyone sees those.  However in the grand scheme they are solid.  And we get to the line a lot which is good.

Nuri factored in early to the FT deficiencies but not anymore.  Even without him they're at 68.5%, not horrendous but not good.  If you look closer you'll see recently Mo and Gift's numbers have dropped like a rock.  Mo went 12/27 in a five of six game stretch between GTown1 and Syracuse (had a good game in the middle against Depaul).  Gift has gone 6/14 since Nova.  Both guys were in the upper 70's at one time and are now in the upper 60s.  Pointer has also dropped to a putrid percentage and Garrett has been subtraction by addition as far as the FT % #'s are concerned.  The way things are going only Dlo and Phil are effective from the line (and Malik was as well).  No doubt a lot of this is fatigue but hopefully all concerned will work on their FT shooting this summer as well.

jayro

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »

In reading Young's profile  it states that he redshirted his first year -so I would think he has 3 years of eligibility-but perhaps he used a year someplace else-that I don't know.

Moose

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 07:05:21 PM »

In reading Young's profile  it states that he redshirted his first year -so I would think he has 3 years of eligibility-but perhaps he used a year someplace else-that I don't know.

I'm pretty sure he played at another JUCO, then transferred and sat out last year.  But I could be wrong, but I read it that way.

jayro

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure he played at another JUCO, then transferred and sat out last year.  But I could be wrong, but I read it that way.

Didn't pick up on that, thanks.

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »
Could he be one of the two bigs coming in? Have not heard anything about him in awhile.

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »
Probably a last resort if we don't get Chris O. or Tony P.! :-\

Moose

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »

When have we ever been mentioned with Tony Parker?

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »
from just reading the posts from others and searching different recruiting sites my guess is one of these bigs is coming from a decommitment who is well known.  I can see where that would make it a silent verbal that much believable since that kid does not want to let everyone come crashing down on him a month from signing day.  Kids now a days with everyone pulling them in different directions would make it virtually impossible to add a school this late with no one knowing and at some point leaking out some info they are interested in us.  kids like Bennett Noel and Parker are top 10 talents with recruiting services up their butts so IMO if there was interest on their end someone would of said so.  In the Sampson case even if the experts were wrong about him landing at ku or some where else we were always mentioned in same articles no matter where we stood with him.

Moose

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 09:28:41 PM »
Also Andrew Young ship has sailed.  Lavin never went to watch him play.

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 11:33:57 PM »

Sorry Tony B. from Findlay :buck2:

Moose

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »

Oh the other guy who has never mentioend us :)

desco80

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2012, 12:32:27 PM »

lol.  Gotta love how these rumors get started.   I'd love to see a Bennett, Parker, Noel type of guy... but that's not happening.   Let's get back to talking about the very talented guys we ARE legitimately involved with.

So Young is out of the picture?  Is that the word now?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:47:26 PM by desco80 »

Moose

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »

lol.  Gotta love how these rumors get started.   I'd love to see a Bennett, Parker, Noel type of guy... but that's not happening.   Let's get back to talking to the very talented guys we ARE legitimately involved with.

Yeah I don't see Young at all happening.

paultzman

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »

lol.  Gotta love how these rumors get started.   I'd love to see a Bennett, Parker, Noel type of guy... but that's not happening.   Let's get back to talking to the very talented guys we ARE legitimately involved with.

Yeah I don't see Young at all happening.

Agreed Moose. Hearing Sanchez. Not crazy about Chandler and baggage.

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »
Question for the board - do we still try and make a play at Young in the event that Mo goes pro?  Let's assume we get Sanchez.  Between Gift, Sanchez and Sampson, we have three guys who can play the 4-5.  Even if we are going after Chandler, there are question marks.  Would make sense that we would have another potential big in play if CO goes elsewhere.