Predictions for notable recruits

• 119 replies
Re: Predictions for notable recruits
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
Isn't chandlers problems with NCAA grades and core classes?  If that's the case no way to tell if elgible until he gets final report card.  Does their school year end like most schools in May/June?

Poison

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »
Isn't chandlers problems with NCAA grades and core classes?  If that's the case no way to tell if elgible until he gets final report card.  Does their school year end like most schools in May/June?

That's why the first to commit has got to be Nolan. We have no size, and while this class has a lot of what we need, at the moment it doesn't show that we've learned from our mistakes.

MCNPA

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »

That's why the first to commit has got to be Nolan. We have no size, and while this class has a lot of what we need, at the moment it doesn't show that we've learned from our mistakes.

Agree.  Would really like Nolan here.

« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »
This is where a staff has to know what is is the prognosis of a recruit. The staff has to be following up diligently on a kids grades.  Our staff on paper seems to be running out of options for big men big east ready.  If the guys on here feel we are in good shape with Chandler and staff is holding a ship for him, even with backup like Nolan, the staff feels this kid is on par with being elgible.  Different than last year where staff had hands tied with kids not being eligible.  Plus kids last year wher high school kids where a lot of them seemed to have bad direction class wise.  Chandler knew what he needed and so did staff which is why I feel they are are really going after kid, aside from talent.   

jr49

« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2012, 08:00:17 PM »

Who is it who has not learned from what you claim are mistakes made? I can only figure your nailing the coaching staff for what you think is a poor job. Your post is insulting to coach Lavin, but I'm going to figure you didn't realize it, right?

Poison

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »

Who is it who has not learned from what you claim are mistakes made? I can only figure your nailing the coaching staff for what you think is a poor job. Your post is insulting to coach Lavin, but I'm going to figure you didn't realize it, right?

It's not Lavin's fault. It's Jarvis' fault. He left the program in ruins.

Chilleb

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
All these recruits visiting this weekend and no updates?

Poison

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2012, 09:07:05 PM »

The staff is helping them with their homework.

crgreen

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2012, 09:23:52 PM »

Doesn't our currently committed group go 6'9, 6'8, 6'6, 6'6, 6'3, 6'3?  Yes, it will be great if we add one or more of the four 6'10 kids we're waiting on,  but saying here's no size in this class so far is a bit disingenuous.

MCNPA

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2012, 09:45:38 PM »

Doesn't our currently committed group go 6'9, 6'8, 6'6, 6'6, 6'3, 6'3?  Yes, it will be great if we add one or more of the four 6'10 kids we're waiting on,  but saying here's no size in this class so far is a bit disingenuous.

Agree CR, not to mention our backcourt will be big with Branch and D'Lo at 6'3" and Greene and Balamou At 6'2" and 6'3" respectively.

Poison

« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2012, 10:28:06 PM »

Agree CR, not to mention our backcourt will be big with Branch and D'Lo at 6'3" and Greene and Balamou At 6'2" and 6'3" respectively.

I think you guys are kidding yourselves. We need REAL size to compete in the Big East. Match up our frontcourt with the top 5 BE teams. How does it look?

Moose

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »

I think you guys are kidding yourselves. We need REAL size to compete in the Big East. Match up our frontcourt with the top 5 BE teams. How does it look?

Who are the top 5 teams in the BE next year in your mind?
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2012, 10:36:14 PM »
Louisville won the BE title with 1 kid over 6'8". Dieng.

Just saying. 

MCNPA

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2012, 10:40:30 PM »

We land a center and I think we can be a top 5 team.

Poison

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2012, 10:41:09 PM »
Louisville won the BE title with 1 kid over 6'8". Dieng.

Just saying. 

Let's start with getting that one kid.

boo3

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2012, 10:47:23 PM »
Agreed.  I just think the idea that we have to have three centers is flawed.

We need someone that can rebound and block shots.  I don't care if he's 7'2" or 6'9"

desco80

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2012, 11:12:11 PM »
Agreed.  I just think the idea that we have to have three centers is flawed.

We need someone that can rebound and block shots.  I don't care if he's 7'2" or 6'9"

Definitely agree.  Depth is nice, but we really need one IMPACT player.   Let's get that and we're in pretty good shape.  Hopefully Chandler is that guy.

« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2012, 09:38:05 AM »
Let's get one BIG, then we can talk later about how we need or don't need more!

Marillac

« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »

On the money as usual, CR.  I don't get the feeling that Lavin and Dunlap are too concerned with adding more height.  They've gone after a pretty specific type of player--with a few shooters sprinkled in.  I don't think a huge traditional center is something the staff covets.  We have length all over the court...versatility...athletes.  I get the feeling that Dunlap wants to instill what he had at Metro State.  The numbers his team put up there were just staggering.

I expect to see a much faster-paced game next year.  I'd be shocked if we are not defending the full length of the floor the majority of the game, using the sidelines and half court as extra defenders, trapping MUCH more aggressively, and getting the ball down the court quickly in secondary transition.  Wave after wave...over the course of the game the 4 on 3's and 3 on 2's will be too much for most teams.  It's nice to have a giant on the bench so Josh Smith doesn't relive his CYO glory days on us, but I'm not sure where a traditional center fits in.  If we're slowing it down and playing half court, we are not playing the full potential of this team. 

At first glance Nolan looks like a center, but I"m not so sure he's any more ready to play center than Sanchez or Sampson.  He is wirey and he moves more like an oversized wing in the videos.   Looks like the typical Lavin recruit:  tall, long, athletic, versaitile.    Chandler is a very different story, though. 

« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »
Just a few posts ago, after lots of thinking, I suggested that we wouldn't bring in Wood under any circumstances in order to keep space available for a couple of bigs or perhaps one big and Turner.  With Wood now onboard, I have decided to #1 keep my day job and #2 pray for a big.  I'll go out on a limb now and say with Turner's arrest on suspicion of DUI he does not end up with us.  Question is which big?  Chandler, a European, Nolan, or Obekpa?  Maybe Felix gets dropped (hope not) or decides to prep and he'll take over God's Gift's scholarship after this coming year.  Or maybe it will be Nolan who will prep.

I must admit, Lavin keeps building and keeps me wondering!