Maurice Sutton - C - Largo HS - Upper Marlboro, MD - VILLANOVA

• 9 replies
http://unlv.scout.com/a.z?s=86&p=8&c=1&nid=2806415

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/ ... CID=784289

Maurice Sutton, Upper Marlboro (Md.) Largo
As the season has gone along, the intrigue and interest for the Largo (Md.) center has increased ten times over. The interest seems to be justified as the long-armed center posted a near triple-double average this season.
Sutton has various degrees of interest from Clemson, Kentucky, Hawaii, LaSalle, Miami (FL), N.C. State, Seton Hall, South Florida and St. John's. He said he would like to use all five of his visits in the spring.

Sutton has the makings of a late-bloomer that, given the right situation, could be a nice steal late in the signing period in a big man depleted talent pool.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:52:56 PM by kjd01067 »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Maurice Sutton - C - Largo HS - Upper Marlboro, MD
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:09:17 AM »
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=803311

With only 10 days to recruit off campus, Indiana head coach Tom Crean used one of those valuable days this Tuesday to fly to Maryland and see Upper Marlboro (Largo HS) senior big man Maurice Sutton. The 6-foot-10 post player is one of the few late big men still looking to sign in the spring period.

Jeff Drummond/CatsPause.com

Sutton should be in Bloomington next weekend
"He sat down with my yesterday plus watched me play a little bit at school," said Sutton. "He talked to my father, he talked to my coach. He offered a full scholarship and talked a lot about school things."

The good news for Indiana is that Crean had recruited Sutton at his prior job.

"He has been been recruiting me for about a year now since he had recruited me at Marquette," said Sutton.

Now it appears the next step for Sutton is to make a trip to Bloomington. He is likely to work that in around playing in the adidas May Classic which is scheduled for May 9-11.

"I think I will be playing in that," said Sutton. "I will be playing on another team, not sure which team for sure right now. I will take an unofficial visit after it."

Sutton had an excellent senior season for the Largo Lions, nearly averaging a triple double with season marks of 18.2 points, 12 rebounds and nine blocks per game. He only played limited minutes in the recent Derby Festival but made the most of it by scoring 17 points. We asked if that had opened up new doors in his recruitment.

"Would not say it opened up things but maybe intensified things," said Sutton. "I always thought I was underrated as a player. Just glad to have the opportunity to do what I did when I had the opportunity to play there. To prove myself as one of the elite or really good players in the country."

The Maryland native talked about what kind of basketball specifics Coach Crean got into with him on Tuesday.

"He said that I would be a good fit because they really don't have many big men coming in," said Sutton. "That maybe I could come in and possibly play right away."

The Sutton family hoop genes are quite impressive.

"My mother played at N.C. State, my sister played at North Carolina and my cousin, Chris Gatling, he played in the NBA," said Sutton. "Basketball is a real family tradition."

To live up to that family tradition, he will need to add bulk to his 210-pound frame.

"I want to get stronger and I have always been an up and down player and so just want to get faster so I can beat everybody up the court including the guards," said Sutton.

One thing he might not have to work hard on is shotblocking.

"Even when I was not that developed as a player I was always a good shotblocker," said Sutton. "It has always just come naturally for me."

Kentucky had been his favorite but the Wildcats took two commitments this week from players 6-foot-9 and taller. Right now he does not know where things may stand with the Cats.

"I am not sure," said Sutton.

For now he says he no longer has one main favorite. Instead it is four schools that he is looking at.

"It would be Indiana, Villanova, Seton Hall and Kentucky as of right now," said Sutton.

I wonder if its too late to hop on this kid. I posted about him a while back but no one seemed to take interest in the kid. I think he is a serious player.

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 07:58:07 AM »
If this kid has a list of four finalist, which we are not on, and we have never been involved. .   why are we listing him in our recruiting section..

Not trying to be a wiseass. .    just asking.. 

kjd01067

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:39:09 AM »
If this kid has a list of four finalist, which we are not on, and we have never been involved. .   why are we listing him in our recruiting section..

According to the first rivals article JJ posted we were showing some interest at one point in time.  Other than that i dont think there is any big reason.  We will keep him up for the time being because in recruiting you never know ( a la Terrell Holloway picking a school he didnt even list in his top eight a week earlier).

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 11:12:05 AM »
If this kid has a list of four finalist, which we are not on, and we have never been involved. .   why are we listing him in our recruiting section..

There was some mutual interest between both St. John's and Sutton at one point. I was curious as to whether we dropped off him or he dropped off us in the recruiting process. If he wasn't interested but we're still on him perhaps circumstances change and he now has interest in us or vice versa.

There are plenty of opportunities in this forum to read and discuss whatever interests you personally so if you don't care to read or participate in something you don't have to.

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 11:50:17 AM »

There was some mutual interest between both St. John's and Sutton at one point. I was curious as to whether we dropped off him or he dropped off us in the recruiting process. If he wasn't interested but we're still on him perhaps circumstances change and he now has interest in us or vice versa.

There are plenty of opportunities in this forum to read and discuss whatever interests you personally so if you don't care to read or participate in something you don't have to.

Hey man...    please save the "don't read if you don't want to" speech for someone else...

I just asked a question. . it was answered by your annointed moderator and the subject was not mentiond again...   

I understand its your site and all but you come across as talking down to people...

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 12:47:45 PM »
you two take it to PMs ;D
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 09:40:05 PM »

Hey man...    please save the "don't read if you don't want to" speech for someone else...

I just asked a question. . it was answered by your annointed moderator and the subject was not mentiond again...   

I understand its your site and all but you come across as talking down to people...

Come on now, really? No one is talking down to anyone. You have voiced your opinion of the recruiting forum previously and I stickied the topic to get the opinion of the general population of the forum. I take everything that everyone has to say in careful consideration and it should be quite evident by now. You then voiced your opinion again in this players thread which we have now taken over in discussion about whether we should discuss players who are still on the board or not. If you don't wish to read about players who are doubtful to come here, you simply don't have to...nothing more nothing less please don't read into it further. I provide plenty of opportunities for everyone to enjoy browsing here with general info, recruiting, off topic, other stj sports, and the arcade.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though and blame it on a case of the mondays.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 10:09:11 PM »
Just wanna say I respct this board and its proprieter cause he allow men to lay down they arms and speak they minds in a respctful way 24/7. Always has. Always be.
Like the Book say: Blessed be the peacemaker for he is truly righteous.

Peace out!

-Choz4Life
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

kjd01067

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 12:57:44 PM »
http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/

Sutton Has Final Four
Maurice Sutton, a 6-11, 210-pound forward from Largo (Md.) High School, has a Final Four of potential destinations.

Sutton will decide between Indiana, Kentucky, Seton Hall and Villanova, according to Largo head coach Lewis Howard.

"He's going to Indiana on Friday and then we go from there," Howard said Tuesday by phone. "I think he's going to Villanova after that. It may be during the week."

The NCAA late signing period ends May 21.

Sutton visited Seton Hall the last weekend in April and the trip went well.

"It went great, he loved it," Howard said. "He saw the Prudential Center. He got to play with the guys. He loved it."