Notre Dame leaving Big East

• 53 replies

sju89tr

Notre Dame leaving Big East
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
Will be announced in moments for all sports other than football

Re: Notre Dame leaving Big East
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »
ACC also saying it will cost $50 mil to leave conference.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »
death by a thousand cuts.  the problem with this is that i already don't recognize this league anymore, and the turnover isn't going to stop here.  i say, let the basketball schools break away and have their own league...and at least we'll have some stability, and not have to constantly look over our shoulder waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Moose

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:18:41 AM »
death by a thousand cuts.  the problem with this is that i already don't recognize this league anymore, and the turnover isn't going to stop here.  i say, let the basketball schools break away and have their own league...and at least we'll have some stability, and not have to constantly look over our shoulder waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Do it now!

Make a super basketball conference.  18 schools.  East and West split.  Strength in numbers among basketball schools.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19:29 AM »
Ya this is ridiculous. There are no schools that can replace what the Big East has already lost

desco80

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
Honestly I don't see any easy answers.   The Big East as we've known it won't exist in 2 years.   It was always been a league making small transitions; but now it's lost it's panache.   There's no pride and confidence in the league anymore.   Everyone is trying to jump ship.    I have no doubt that if Louisville or UCONN can, they will. 

And that's, well... just sad.    I love St Johns basketball, but being a fan of college sports is becoming less enjoyable every year.   

sju89tr

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »
Honestly I don't see any easy answers.   The Big East as we've known it won't exist in 2 years.   It was always been a league making small transitions; but now it's lost it's panache.   There's no pride and confidence in the league anymore.   Everyone is trying to jump ship.    I have no doubt that if Louisville or UCONN can, they will. 

And that's, well... just sad.    I love St Johns basketball, but being a fan of college sports is becoming less enjoyable every year.

Cincinnati too

desco80

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »

Cincinnati too

Yea, there's bound to be more conference turnover.   The Big 12 still has only 11 teams, they need to add a team to have a conference championship game and all the free money that comes with that.   So I'd be shocked if they didn't add another team. 

And like you said on the other thread, now the ACC has 15 in basketball - do they try to balance their schedule?   

Who know's, maybe the Big East adds a sizeable program like UNLV or BYU, but either way it's a step back every time another program leaves the Big East.   

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »
Can't blame ND.  BE is a mess, and ACC is stable and gives ND a natural partner if they ever need to join a conference in football.  Academics are right in line with ACC, and ACC's strength of other sports goes along with ND too.
"I drink and I know things"

Moose

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »
Can't blame ND.  BE is a mess, and ACC is stable and gives ND a natural partner if they ever need to join a conference in football.  Academics are right in line with ACC, and ACC's strength of other sports goes along with ND too.

Why ACC over B10 though?  From the sounds of it they wanted to focus on East Coast cities and not random midwest areas.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »
Who cares?

ras

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »

I used to watch some college FB and root for the BE teams. I find it difficult to watch these days ,dont know who to root for. Unless some excellent TV deal is worked out ,every team will be looking to jump ship.

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »

Why ACC over B10 though?  From the sounds of it they wanted to focus on East Coast cities and not random midwest areas.

Don't underestimate the academic angle here.  The ACC has something like 6 schools inside US News top 50 schools: Duke, Virginia, UNC, Wake forest, BC and Miami.  I believe that is more then any BCS conference.  And they don't have any tier 3 schools.

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
Look I don't like this either, I grew up watching BE basketball. 

But I just laugh at people who blamed Marinatto because of all the recent issues with schools leaving like Syracuse, Pitt, WVU.  This was inevitable, that train left the station 2 decades ago and first Tranghese and Marinatto and now new leadership will use some spit and glue so to speak to keep it together but cracks will inevitably show themselves again.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 11:09:14 AM »

Don't underestimate the academic angle here.  The ACC has something like 6 schools inside US News top 50 schools: Duke, Virginia, UNC, Wake forest, BC and Miami.  I believe that is more then any BCS conference.  And they don't have any tier 3 schools.

I don't know anything about it but I thought Big 10 always raved about their top education schools. 

wpc77

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »
The Big 10 raves about a lot of things.  The institutions which fordham mentioned far outshine the Big 10 schools, in the aggregate.  This is the right move for ND but I am not happy for SJU because of the situation which we are left with.  Hopefully the basketball-only schools make a move quickly to enchance their product in a new league, because a football conference headlinded by Boise St and Cincinnati will just be a sideshow and get sideshow money anyway.

Moose

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
The Big 10 raves about a lot of things.  The institutions which fordham mentioned far outshine the Big 10 schools, in the aggregate.  This is the right move for ND but I am not happy for SJU because of the situation which we are left with.  Hopefully the basketball-only schools make a move quickly to enchance their product in a new league, because a football conference headlinded by Boise St and Cincinnati will just be a sideshow and get sideshow money anyway.

I recall you being an ND fan for football, correct?

And while those schools might outperform the B10 schools academically.  Most of them have pretty pitiful football programs.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 11:29:21 AM by Moose »

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »
Rothstein offers an idiotic suggestion!

“@JonRothstein: Here's a thought for the Big East. Invite Fordham and have them play all home games in the Barclays Center. Another NYC team helps branding.”

Moose

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 11:36:32 AM »
Rothstein offers an idiotic suggestion!

“@JonRothstein: Here's a thought for the Big East. Invite Fordham and have them play all home games in the Barclays Center. Another NYC team helps branding.”

Tom Pecora's rear end......Mint!

paultzman

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »
“@DavidHaugh: Notre Dame's ACC move smart under circumstances. Big 10 demanded football too -- a non-starter for ND. Big East dying. ACC, region growing.”