Around Big East

• 3954 replies

paultzman

Re: around the big east
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
“@GoodmanCBS: Gorgui Dieng will practice for the first time today and Rick Pitino told CBSSports he could play on Saturday vs. UK -- http://t.co/zIChrWK0

paultzman

« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2012, 04:54:38 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Providence PG Vincent Council is expected to play Friday vs. Brown after a full practice today. Watch out for Friars.”

Chilleb

« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »
We could use Vincent council right now

paultzman

« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2012, 09:48:21 AM »
Note it has taken Cincy five years to become relevant. Disagree with writer's contention that Cincy has no NBA players. Kilpatrick seems to have that ability IMO.

“@GoodmanCBS: Cincinnati may have lost to New Mexico last night, but the Bearcats program has come a long way in Cronin regime -- http://t.co/lTA4jPxZ

paultzman

« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »
“@rumbleSBN: Jim Boeheim wants Syracuse to continue playing St. John's. #stjbb #cuse http://t.co/8CicW1sS

« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »
I'm all for it...but lets make them come to Queens.

Poison

« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
Playing SU after they've lead the charge to destroy the BE is an awful idea.
What happened to punishing them for their crimes against the conference?

They've housed us for 20 years, destroyed the BE and now we want to welcome
them back into OUR home, so they can once again reclaim it while stomping us like
we are some kinda D3 team. I'm disgusted by this.

The school bully has beaten the piss out of us for 20 years, and the moment he wants
to be friends, we are right there w a pen in our hand ready to do his homework for him.

SU is going to disappear once Boeheim retires. Why should we help keep their pipeline to NYC
recruits alive after all they've done to the BE? Monasch is a fool.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:53:09 PM by Poison »

ras

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2012, 03:31:18 PM »
The best thing to do against he school bully is to learn to fight and beat him. We need to improve and start beating them, not run away from them. This conference rallignment is riduculous. With your thinking, we should never play WVU, Miami,BC, ND ,Louisville,Pitt and more.

Moose

« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2012, 03:51:20 PM »
The best thing to do against he school bully is to learn to fight and beat him. We need to improve and start beating them, not run away from them. This conference rallignment is riduculous. With your thinking, we should never play WVU, Miami,BC, ND ,Louisville,Pitt and more.

And whats wrong with that?
Plenty of other D1 teams to play.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:51:41 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

NYCoffey

« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2012, 03:59:48 PM »
Anyone know if the nurideen Vs. Rutgers game is on tv anywhere. Just look on my BB and its halftime. Real barn burner with Rutgers up 23 to 21.

ras

« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »

And whats wrong with that?
Plenty of other D1 teams to play.
Maybe Im old fashioned, but I think we have nice rivalries against Syracuse and UConn, would like to still play them. I cant wait to get on even footing w Syracuse and start handing them a few losses. I think those 2 at the garden means more then a game agaist Baylor or Michigan.

MCNPA

« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »
Again, the matchup benefits both SJU and SU.  Building an even greater rivalry with that dirtbag school and filling the garden is great for assuring our future and recruiting circles.  This is a brave new world with respect to the new conference and having a built-in matchup that packs the Garden and gives us an edge is excellent.  It is also great for our relationship with the Garden and encouraging that playing us there is in demand. 

It is simply good business and no good programs should ditch a game that fills the place.  I hate Syracuse as much as anyone but I'd rather pack the Garden and actually start beating them for a change.  Make it like the UNC vs Duke rivalry.  Plenty of bad blood there but in that one it is a two-sided matchup.  We need to make it so.

Moose

« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »
Again, the matchup benefits both SJU and SU.  Building an even greater rivalry with that dirtbag school and filling the garden is great for assuring our future and recruiting circles.  This is a brave new world with respect to the new conference and having a built-in matchup that packs the Garden and gives us an edge is excellent.  It is also great for our relationship with the Garden and encouraging that playing us there is in demand. 

It is simply good business and no good programs should ditch a game that fills the place.  I hate Syracuse as much as anyone but I'd rather pack the Garden and actually start beating them for a change.  Make it like the UNC vs Duke rivalry.  Plenty of bad blood there but in that one it is a two-sided matchup.  We need to make it so.

How does it benefit us besides a 'sold out' building?

MCNPA

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2012, 05:37:52 PM »

If you don't see it, I can't explain it any further Moose.  It fills the building, pays the bills, is an intra-state rivalry and has recruiting implications.  There are a lot more negatives to canceling a potentially yearly matchup. 

Mike

« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »
If we want to be called the best team in New York then we need to beat them on a regular basis and the games will be at MSG.

jr49

« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2012, 06:04:27 PM »

Filling the OOC schedule with good teams that are willing to come into your building is a dream. Bring in Pitt. and Conn. too. It's Coach Steve's job to have us primed for that kinda competition.  Ya gotta draw If ya wanna have the money to pay a top staff. We all were kicking about the quality of hoops the new BE was to offer. Oh no, not Tulane and SMU. When that #1 goes next to your name when they rate strength of schedule, I know everyone one this board feels the pride. A couple of weeks ago the board was worried about us being thought of as mid majors. With MSG and coach Steve at the helm, we have the chance of being big time. With the help of Georgetown, Marq, Nova, X-men and Butler we can once again be known as the top hoops conference in the country. Now is not the time to go soft. 

« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »
The best thing to do against he school bully is to learn to fight and beat him. We need to improve and start beating them, not run away from them. This conference rallignment is riduculous. With your thinking, we should never play WVU, Miami,BC, ND ,Louisville,Pitt and

For those of you who have attended and suffered through humiliating losses to the Cuse ( blow out city) at the Garden in front of their obnoxious fans, I believe that we should not play them until we can compete with them on the recruiting trail or until our coaching staff can get enough out of our players to get them competitive against the likes of the Cuse and other such teams.  I remember leaving last years Cuse game sick to my stomach and ready to tear someone's head off.  It certainly did nothing for my high blood pressure.

sju89tr

« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »
Crazy idea but it would be nice to do a pre season 8 team tournament perhaps every other year and invite Cuse Louisville Notre Dame Pitt Rutgers Miami West Va along with St Johns. It could be a real money maker.   

Moose

« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2012, 06:18:44 PM »

If you don't see it, I can't explain it any further Moose.  It fills the building, pays the bills, is an intra-state rivalry and has recruiting implications.  There are a lot more negatives to canceling a potentially yearly matchup. 

I told you how many times the bills were paid just fine drawing 6k while Norm was coach.  Doesn't take much to break even.  I don't see the point in allowing a team that has tormented us and called themselves NY's team another chance to play in MSG every year.  Lord knows they will probably get a game there anyway. 

So many posters kicked and screamed when they left yet these same posters are bending over the table and oh so willing to allow them right back in.

Moose

« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »
Crazy idea but it would be nice to do a pre season 8 team tournament perhaps every other year and invite Cuse Louisville Notre Dame Pitt Rutgers Miami West Va along with St Johns. It could be a real money maker.   

Won't happen because its rare that two teams from the same conference play in a tournament.