Big East could vote to dissolve

• 801 replies

MCNPA

Re: Big East could vote to dissolve
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 09:31:31 AM »
If anyone infers ACC is in worse position than BE, a trip to a psychiatrist is in order.

They have a lot more to lose.  Don't kid yourself.  THe big east is half schools that don't even play football.  As strange as it might sound, SJU Georgetown etc are sitting pretty right now because we will be fine no matter what happens. Even if we stay put, we only have bball to worry about and will likely be able to put together a league that gets 4-5 bids as tourney time.   We'd actually be a bigger fish and likely making the tourney more often. 

The remaining football schools in the big East are panicking because they are on brink of obsolescence.  If the ACC starts to collapse and lose more schools, these schools joining the ACC for a better deal a really not much better than in the Big East.  Coach K last week said he was worried and he is right about that.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:43:34 AM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »
If anyone infers ACC is in worse position than BE, a trip to a psychiatrist is in order.

They have a lot more to lose.  Don't kid yourself.  THe big east is half schools that don't even play football.  As strange as it might sound, SJU Georgetown etc are sitting pretty right now because we will be fine no matter what happens. Even if we stay put, we only have bball to worry about and will likely be able to put together a league that gets 4-5 bids as tourney time.   We'd actually be a bigger fish and likely making the tourney more often. 

The remaining football schools in the big East are panicking because they are on brink of obsolescence.  If the ACC starts to collapse and lose more schools, these schools joining the ACC for a better deal a really not much better than in the Big East.  Coach K last week said he was worried and he is right about that.

Marcus, please desist from being the "Ultimate Homer"! I personally know a sports TV guy with 25 years of experience, who refutes your sense of imminent "doom" (Sorry Moose) for ACC. They may suffer some short term losses, but are not in dire difficulty like BE. Let's agree to disagree, but would appreciate a case of those rose colored glasses you wear. Just kidding!

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »

Every conference has a lot more to lose simply because every conference is in a better position then the Big East.

nobody believes the ACC is in a weaker position then the BE.  BE is toast.

paultzman

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 10:16:17 AM »

Every conference has a lot more to lose simply because every conference is in a better position then the Big East.

Thank you!

MCNPA

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »

Marcus, please desist from being the "Ultimate Homer"! I personally know a sports TV guy with 25 years of experience, who refutes your sense of imminent "doom" (Sorry Moose) for ACC. They may suffer some short term losses, but are not in dire difficulty like BE. Let's agree to disagree, but would appreciate a case of those rose colored glasses you wear. Just kidding!

This has nothing to do with homerism.  They are going to have difficulty because they are becoming the Big east if they are absorbing possibly 5 Big East teams.  It means they could potentially lose that many big ACC players.  I'm looking at this purely from a SJU perspective and one of the bball schools.  I don't think it is nearly as bad for us in the long run.  Do I want to be part of a bigger conference marketing-wise?  Sure.  But doesn't mean it will negatively effect our bball product.  I just think the ACC is in for more losses and big ones.  The ACC is going to be shut out of the "Big 4".  Big East was never even in consideration to be that level of football conference.

redslope

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »
As far as I am concerned there are only 4 major football conferences nad the ACC ain't one of them.  As with BE defections to a better tomorrow, only WV has achieved that until RU goes to Big 10+.  SPitt and ExCuse are deluding themselves.  On any given saturday, if I wanted to watch college football, it would be one of the major conference game--I can't remember watching a BE or ACC game over the years.  Outsides of the major conferences, I would watch the Ivies (while going to Columbia; I actually went to games at old Baker field; great place to drink on sunny saturday afternoons) or Army and Navy.

Bottom line is that certain BE/ACC schools have to admit that they a mid major FB schools.  UNC recruits FB; Duke does not.

sju89tr

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »

We are in the weakest position for sure but ACC could be klilled as well. You may very well see a merger of the Big East and ACC to some extent. It would be the best for both conferences in order to maximize the tv dollars   

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »
tv dollars?  who gives a shitt.  the story here is the big east is rapidly morphing into the atlantic 10 basketball wise.  not terrible...except the BE was the premiere basketball conference in the country as recently as last year.  we've gone from the waldorf astoria to the motel six in the latest free-fall.

footballwise, the BCS has placed the conference with four other mid majors.  that says it all.  the BCS didn't do that to the ACC.  so who's better off?

if we want to dominate hoops, the answer isn't going into the patriot league.  it's finding a way to salvage what we have.  the current "brain trust" is in a coma right now.  wake them when it's over.

sju89tr

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 11:48:14 AM »
tv dollars?  who gives a shitt.  the story here is the big east is rapidly morphing into the atlantic 10 basketball wise.  not terrible...except the BE was the premiere basketball conference in the country as recently as last year.  we've gone from the waldorf astoria to the motel six in the latest free-fall.

footballwise, the BCS has placed the conference with four other mid majors.  that says it all.  the BCS didn't do that to the ACC.  so who's better off?

if we want to dominate hoops, the answer isn't going into the patriot league.  it's finding a way to salvage what we have.  the current "brain trust" is in a coma right now.  wake them when it's over.

The reality is that the non football schools had the writing on the wall for years that this was going to be the future of NCAA sports, so at this point what can they do.

My preference at this point is to get a mega 16 team basketball only conference EAST and WEST and for St Johns to play a Gonzaga type model schedule.

It won't be the same as the Big East in its heyday but at this point it's the best option for us and schools like Georgetown Nova and Marquette.     

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 12:43:47 PM »
Marcus' new hometown will be Providence, RI and his new job will be as Big East Spokesperson... :2funny: :2funny:

jayro

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 12:47:13 PM »
Don't know which schools will jump from ACC to one of the big 4, but if in fact several of the following jump the ACC will no longer be a player in big time football
Those being considered for jumping:  Fla. S, Clemson, NC, NCst, Virginia Tech, GT.
If 4 of the 6 jump the ACC is cooked- and if all 6 jump...   BE was already cooked, so IMHO, in relative terms, the ACC has more to lose at this point.
Would seem to make sense for the remaining ACC and BE schools to join forces on the basketball front.  No, it's not football money but it would be excellent basketball money.  For schools such as SJU, that have no cash eating football to pay for, the $'s received for basketball by the combo of BE- ACC, would be a plus.
As of now, no one knows what's going to happen with the amoeba like moves of the big time football conferences.
Question?  If, in fact ESPN was responsible for the ACC gobbling up BE schools, will it in fact backfire on the ACC as the cream of their football schools bolt.  The irony is ESPN will win $$$ regardless -but the ACC could have played a major part in its own demise.

desco80

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »
Even if the ACC were to take more.losses, they still won't have any incentive to.join with the big east basketball.schools.

If the worst case scenario (which wit happen) but if the ACC were to lose fsu, unc, nc state, clemson and gtech
their new.conference.would.be.just.fine...
Duke
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College
UCONN
Louisville
Notre Dame

they would go.forward with that before they would take on non football schools.
Plus you.could throw.in.Cincinnati and USF probably.as well. 

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »
Even if the ACC were to take more.losses, they still won't have any incentive to.join with the big east basketball.schools.

If the worst case scenario (which wit happen) but if the ACC were to lose fsu, unc, nc state, clemson and gtech
Duke
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College
UCONN
Louisville
Notre Dame

ND not in the acc. And would uconn and Louisville choose the acc with those teams departing? I would think the vile to the big22 would make more sense. Also Miami would be targeted just as much as those other schools if not more. Take away those schools I just mentioned from your post above and the league is very weak. Of course no one knows how all this will end up so it's silly to argue about it.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 02:00:07 PM »

Duke
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College
UCONN
Louisville
Notre Dame

I think Louisville will try to wait out as long as possible and try to go to another football conference. Overall The ACC is starting to look like the BE of the 90s with football and the BE could wind up like the BE in the 80s with only basketball. As long as the BE has GT, SJU, Marquette, Temple, and so on, I don't think the BE will fall into A10 status.
Cougar O' Malley

ras

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 02:03:35 PM »
Any way you slice it, as bad of position the ACC is in, the BE is in far worse position.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 02:14:12 PM »
The most important thing for St. John's no matter what happens with the conferences is that we continue to rebuild, win, and be exciting. This will keep us in the NYC media and make us relevant overall. The fact that we play at the Garden is also a big plus. What also helps out is that we still have Georgetown and there still in the DC area.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »
Any way you slice it, as bad of position the ACC is in, the BE is in far worse position.

Right now, yes...not necessarily the case if the wholesale defections occur...

gman

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 02:22:20 PM »

Duke
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College
UCONN
Louisville
Notre Dame

Why would Miami stay in that football conference?  They left the BE for football when it was the majority of those teams.

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »
what makes sense to me is that the remaining football teams from the big east and acc merge, and the basketball teams go their separate way.  all i could say is what a f_cking shame that this was allowed to happen.  time to label college sports as semi pro...who are they kidding.  academics my ass.  its disgusting.

Tiznow

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 11:08:05 PM »
what makes sense to me is that the remaining football teams from the big east and acc merge, and the basketball teams go their separate way.  all i could say is what a f_cking shame that this was allowed to happen.  time to label college sports as semi pro...who are they kidding.  academics my ass.  its disgusting.

It is a joke when ESPN interviews these AD's and hardly ever challenge them when the BS about the academics.  It is all about the lure and the promise of big money.  Let's just see if Rutgers and Maryland are in better shape in five years from a financial standpoint.  It was nice to hear Len Elmore question the logic of the moves.  He pointed out that Maryland and Rutgers will need to invest big bucks to try to compete with the Big Ten football programs.  I think they are going fail to win.  Will they draw new fans to watch a team get blown out by Ohio State?  You can watch that on TV and save your money.

In the end, the Maryland sports budget will still be in the red.  Delaney is laughing all the way to the bank.