Big East could vote to dissolve

• 801 replies

paultzman

Re: Big East could vote to dissolve
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2012, 07:46:06 AM »
Just saw Lincoln, great flick! In today's era of NCAA exploitation of "student athletes", maybe he would have freed them. Just saying!

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »
Just saw Lincoln, great flick! In today's era of NCAA exploitation of "student athletes", maybe he would have freed them. Just saying!

Danial Day Lewis is an amazing actor
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2012, 01:52:03 PM »
i didn't see it yet.  don't tell me how it ends.   :)

Foad

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »
Just saw Lincoln, great flick!

Sentimental treacle. Hated it. James Spader steals the show in an Oscar worthy performance.

In today's era of NCAA exploitation of "student athletes", maybe he would have freed them. Just saying!

The real analogy is between the BE and the antebellum union, except in this case the carpetbaggers have already made their ways down south and all that's left is Appomattox.

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 12:43:24 PM »
Man, This guy Greg Doyle(cbssportsline.com) really going for the jugular with the remaining Basketball only schools.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/21188646/big-easts-basketball-schools-are-in-danger-of-being-run-over-by-realignment

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »
While he's right that they need to do something, this is one of the worst articles i've ever read.  it literally could have just been one paragraph.  Guy just shouts the same thing over and over again.

paultzman

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »
Give Nova AD credit for at least reaching out to folks trying to convey assurances. Criticize away for lacking specifics, etc., but I believe a like message should be conveyed by our AD.

“@VUhoops: Letter from Vince Nicastro regarding realignment. http://t.co/ABjI5SEg

desco80

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »
Give Nova AD credit for at least reaching out to folks trying to convey assurances. Criticize away for lacking specifics, etc., but I believe a like message should be conveyed by our AD.

“@VUhoops: Letter from Vince Nicastro regarding realignment. http://t.co/ABjI5SEg

I'm guessing that's why Lavin is going on the radio today - to do SJU's version of the same thing.   

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »
I'd like to weigh in on what I see going on with conference realignment, although I may not have all the information and could be missing some key points that would change my feelings ... but it seems to be that we should aim to retain our roots and protect our brand as a basketball conference and say 'goodbye' to football members, wish them well (accept their buyout money of course), and do not consider adding other football programs.

Restructure the Big East as a top notch basketball conference.  We've got 7 programs as our core: 1 St. John's, 2 Georgetown, 3 Depaul, 4 Villanova, 5 Providence, 6 Marquette, 7 Seton Hall.  With these schools we control 3 major markets: NYC, DC, and Chicago.

The question then is who do we go after to join us?  Let's go for basketball rich tradition schools without football.  I'm thinking Xavier, Butler, and Dayton.  If we could add Richmond and College of Charleston we'd be up to 12.

I'm not going to suggest adding any schools west of the Mississippi River, like Gonzaga and St. Mary's.  But maybe we should.

It breaks my heart to have Tulane and Coastal Carolina join the BE.  That is not the right direction.

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2012, 05:31:59 PM »
Man, This guy Greg Doyle(cbssportsline.com) really going for the jugular with the remaining Basketball only schools.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/21188646/big-easts-basketball-schools-are-in-danger-of-being-run-over-by-realignment
I think one of Doyel's lines was deleted from his post: "Who the is at the Helm of this Big East (ship)?"  I think Doyel wears Medium shirts too...

jr49

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »

I don't get why the new entries into the BE are spoken of the way they are. We all happy with Memphis and Temple in. The western schools play good football. Houston and SMU have work to do, but how much better is Syracuse and Pitt football then those Texas schools. South Fla doing ok, now they got a partner in UCF. Looking at the hoops schools it looks to be the kind of league that can send several teams to the tourny. No reason to believe Tulane will not devote themselves to having good programs. Of course if a bunch more teams leave, and good TV deal can not be gotten, at that point I figure we are looking at hoops only conference. Right now I don't know why we not pulling hard for the new members and hoping for the best. I'm still thinking the BE can be a conference Navy is happy to join come 2015. 

sju89tr

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »

I don't get why the new entries into the BE are spoken of the way they are. We all happy with Memphis and Temple in. The western schools play good football. Houston and SMU have work to do, but how much better is Syracuse and Pitt football then those Texas schools. South Fla doing ok, now they got a partner in UCF. Looking at the hoops schools it looks to be the kind of league that can send several teams to the tourny. No reason to believe Tulane will not devote themselves to having good programs. Of course if a bunch more teams leave, and good TV deal can not be gotten, at that point I figure we are looking at hoops only conference. Right now I don't know why we not pulling hard for the new members and hoping for the best. I'm still thinking the BE can be a conference Navy is happy to join come 2015.

I would be able to deal with these football additions as I really don't give a crap about Big East football but I hope Arresco comes to the conclusion that they must replace Louisville, Pitt, W Va, Syracuse, and Rutgers on the hardwood. Memphis was a great addition for that reason. I hope they land UNLV. Now go out and pluck Dayton, Murray State, Richmond, and Butler.

Those schools will leave the A10 in a heartbeat to come to Big East and compete. It is more money even at our watered down level.   

TONYD3

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2012, 10:14:52 PM »
Can someone please tell me why depaul? Depaul is Chicago like rutgers is NYC

Moose

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2012, 11:36:33 PM »

Uh so are the Cubs not Chicago?  Because Wrigley is 5 minutes from DePaul
Remember who broke the Slice news

PIB

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »
Thoughts on this article?

I know some on here have mentioned the BE Catholic schools, and in light of that, this article pitches an interesting scenario.

SJU to the A10 (21 team conference):

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8736716/atlantic-10-open-adding-big-east-basketball-schools-creating-21-team-conference-source

TONYD3

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »

Uh so are the Cubs not Chicago?  Because Wrigley is 5 minutes from DePaul
Been to Chicago a bunch of times- been to wrigley 3 times- never even considered stopping by depaul

desco80

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »
Thoughts on this article?

I know some on here have mentioned the BE Catholic schools, and in light of that, this article pitches an interesting scenario.

SJU to the A10 (21 team conference):

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8736716/atlantic-10-open-adding-big-east-basketball-schools-creating-21-team-conference-source

This is wishful, and pre-emptive thinking on the A-10's part, to leak this story.  They know that if the 7 Big East catholic schools break away, they are going to try to poach A-10 teams.
I think St Johns, Georgetown, and Villanova would be in the driving seat in any new league scenario.  And they are not going to see any benefit in joining/creating a 21 team league. 

Arguably, let's say a 12 team basketball only conference with the BE 7, plus 5 more - for arguments sake: Butler, Xavier, Dayton, VCU, George Mason.
Let's say that league would get a TV offer of $50 million.  (hypothetically)
That's $4.1 mil per school.

Does anyone here think adding 9 other schools like Detroit, St Louis, St Bonaventure etc is going to make that league worth $87 mil all of a sudden?  Because that's what it would take for everyone to retain their same share.

Bottom line, if there is a basketball only conference,  all the value comes from St Johns, Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette.   It's not in our interest to make this a huge league, unless somehow that's going to double the value.   I don't think it will.   It's just more hands in the pot.

I don't see us joining the A-10, I see us picking the A-10 schools we want most and starting our own thing.   

TONYD3

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2012, 08:10:50 PM »
Agree desco- we don't need the bottom feeders.

MCNPA

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2012, 01:39:59 AM »
Q&A with Marquette AD

http://t.co/DSfCDxvV

paultzman

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »
That Tulane move left a lot of folks exasperated. Katz take on Gonzaga possibility, which seems like a reach geographically for them. Would love to have them though;

3-point shot: Gonzaga eying Big East?
December, 12, 2012
DEC 12

By Andy Katz | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0TWEET22COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
1. While the Big East's seven non-FBS basketball schools are deciding what course of action to take next, there is one school that would love to be a part of any new conference or conglomerate: Gonzaga. Sources say the Zags would love to part with the West Coast Conference and be a member of a national, branded basketball conference. The theory is that if Boise State and San Diego State can be in the Big East for football, then why couldn’t Gonzaga in a basketball version? Of course, the easy response is that football is played once a week and there is usually a maximum of four or five league road games. Still, the Zags are looking out for themselves and would like to be positioned with fellow national Catholic-based schools instead of regional ones in the WCC. Gonzaga might not have a choice, but is starting to be a bit more proactive if an opportunity arises.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:06:52 AM by paultzman »